Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #1  

Unhappy Plateau? Help!!!

Hi! I'm new here, and I need some help and motivation! My name is Jennifer, and I began my lifestyle change on April 3. I didn't weigh at the beginning, but after a month I weighed in at 265, so I think I started around 280. As of today, I'm at 246.6 pounds, trying to get down to 130 pounds at 5' 1". I lost quickly at first, but in the last week I've actually gained .2 pound, and I don't know how! It's so very frustrating. I keep a record of everything I eat, and my calories for the last week have ranged each day from 1190 to 1360. I eat 3 small meals and 3 snacks a day, spread out at 2-3 hour intervals. I drink about 100 oz. of water a day. I don't exercise, but I have an active job where I'm on my feet and walking a lot for 36 hours a week. I'm not sure what I need to do to get my weight loss started again. I'm going to try to get some exercise in a few days a week. But what about food wise? Someone suggested to me that my body might be going into starvation mode because of not getting enough calories, and that I should actually eat a little more for a while. I have noticed this week that I've actually fet hungrier than I've felt in the past weeks. I really don't think I should eat less at this point. I'm just lost and discouraged right now, but I don't want to give up. Any advice?

Last edited by jap687; 06-28-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling error
jap687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #2  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi there!

I really have no advice, but am in the saaaaaaaaaame situation as you!! I have lost almost 30 lbs since May 5, and it was coming off so quickly. Pretty much all of last week and so far this week, the scale has not budged!
I eat roughly 1100 cals a day and am working out (30 Day Shred and/or treadmill everyday).
I started yesterday to up my water and protein intake, hoping that will help.

That is great that you are drinking 100 oz of water a day, I know that helps.

Just try to hang in there and stick with it. Whatever you (we) are doing has been working up until now, so we just have to keep on I guess--even though it's sooooo frustrating!!!

Sorry I couldn't have been more help, just want to let you know that you aren't alone!
mamato2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/209/199

Height: 5'9"

I am having the same problem! I have lost about 35 lbs pretty easily. Workout almost daily...drink tons of water. Then this week the scale is up 4lbs!! Very discouraging. Usually during TOM I gain about 5 lbs which disappears after...but TOM was about a week and 1/2 ago. Im hoping maybe its from ovulation?? Idk, but it is very discouraging. I guess we just have to keep going and hope it comes off soon. I do feel swollen in my ankles. So maybe it is just water retention. Although it would be nice if I could pinpoint exactly what it is. Im just gonna keep doing as usual and hope for the best. I mean...we cant quit now...look at how far we have come! Good luck!!
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

If I understand correctly, this is one week?

One week does not make a plateau. You will not recreate your massive early losses (that's an impressive loss) and it will get slow from now on. NOW is when the hard part comes in - the strength to stay on plan without the big numbers. Keep going, for several more weeks, and if you continue to stay at that weight or gain, then revisit the issue.

Some find that when they start at a higher weight, they are better off with a higher calorie intake and then drop from there. You're correct that you can't go any lower. So that is a personal decision that you must make.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/209/199

Height: 5'9"

Thanks Sacha! You are right. Its just so discouraging to see ANY gain when you know how hard you are working and have not been cheating! I have been waiting for the day when the weight loss slows down a bit and I guess I am there now. Oh well...just keep swimming...
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #6  

Thank you all for your responses! It's nice to know I'm not alone! I'm going to keep plugging along and hope the scales go down soon.
jap687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #7  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

sunlover- I think I am close to ovulating too, so I'm wondering if that's my problem too. Hmmm.. You are right, we've all come too far to quit now!!!!

sacha- Thank you for the advice!! I just got done reading about exactly what you said. Oddly, people went up in their calories and started losing again. I am so afraid to do that though, fearing I will gain, LOL. But, it's good to know that this isn't a 'true' plateau...

jap- thanks for creating this post, and hope we all see smaller numbers SOON!
mamato2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #8  

You need to exercise or you will lose muscle along with fat. Being on your feet at work isn't exercise, it's regular daily activity. You need both cardio and weight training. You didn't tell us your current weight so it's hard to say if you are eating enough, probably not.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

You're doing great! You've just reached the point where doing everything right doesn't mean you'll weigh less every week than the week before. All kinds of things affect how much you weigh on a daily basis, and most of them aren't fat. The scale fluctuates. When you're losing 3 lbs a week (VERY rapid weight loss) that's going to be enough to mask the flucations. But as your weigh loss slows, to 1-2 lbs/week (still very respectable) they show through more.

Just keep on going, you'll be fine.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Calorie zigzagging has been helpful for some to break plateaus and when I lost before, it prevented me from ever reaching a plateau until I made it to goal. The idea was eating varying amounts daily but at the end of a week, the average should be the same. There are some strategic ways to do it that are effective.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #11  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
You need to exercise or you will lose muscle along with fat. Being on your feet at work isn't exercise, it's regular daily activity. You need both cardio and weight training. You didn't tell us your current weight so it's hard to say if you are eating enough, probably not.
you'll lose muscle while losing weight regardless due to the fact that you're no longer carrying around as much mass. your muscles aren't being used to the same degree, and so you lose muscle weight. not a shocker.

oh, and they're eating enough.

anyway, to the OP --

weight fluctuations happen, particularly when you make it deeper into your journey. weight loss as quickly as you've been having it only lasts for so long, because like i said, you're no longer hauling around as much weight. the more weight you lose, the less calories you burn, the more work you have to put in to continue losing at the same rate. along with that, the first month or so of weight loss, you're losing crap tons of water weight, which is much easier to shed than fat. if you want to continue losing the way you were, i'd recommend adding some kind of exercise. at this point, a tape would suffice. i recommend jillian michael's 30 day shred. it's only a 20 minute work out and it kicks your ***! oh, and also, you're for sure not in starvation mode. don't even entertain that notion. it's a dieting myth. you can still lose while eating more calories, but you won't lose as quickly. i would do whatever you're most comfortable with.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
You need to exercise or you will lose muscle along with fat.
Unless she drastically curtails her daily calories, she won't lose muscle. As long as she maintains her daily activities and eats adequate amounts of protein, her muscle mass will remain basically the same. I don't think the amount of muscle that may have atrophied due to not carrying around extra weight lost due to dieting is going to be noticed, especially since it was initially covered up by fat between the muscle and skin. The fat on her body, however, can drastically go up or down, as we all know.

Last edited by tricon7; 06-29-2011 at 11:44 AM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote