UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

Question TOM weight gain

Just a quick query. I came on TOM last Thursday. Oddly enough it stopped Sunday, I say odd as it usually lasts longer than that. The problem is I seem to have gained 4lbs over 2 days even though my period seems to have ended. It feels slightly discouraging I must admit, so if anyone can shed some light on this I'd be grateful.
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #2  

My calorie intake has been between 1050-1300 calories per day for the past 2 weeks, I'm eating clean, healthy foods little and often, I'm monitoring the level of fat/carbs.sugar I'm eating, I'm exercising daily between 30 mins to an hour, and I'm drinking 2 litres of water a day. So I don't think its my diet at all.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #3  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

People do naturally gain weight on their periods, no matter how healthy they're eating or exercising. I think you can gain 3-9 lbs during a period. As for the abrupt end to your period, you may have thrown your system out of whack with the efforts to lose weight. Or the most drastic of conclusions is that you might be pregnant? I remember having a bit of a scare once because mine ended abruptly but it came back in a day.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #4  

Its impossible for me to pregnant, thankfully. I think you're probably right, and my body has gone into shock and confused itself with all the new alien food its been subjected to lol. I broke out the tape measure in a bid to make myself feel better. and have lost an inch off of my under-bust, waist and hips, so I am smaller at least even if the scales are denying it! lol
Old 06-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #5  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Exactly!! If you are exercising you're shedding fat and it's being replaced with muscle. Measuring is a beautiful thing, I weigh myself as a guide to where I am but I know the true test of whether I've lost weight is in my measurements. Last Sunday I gained a pound but managed to lose a smidge off my pudge in measurements!

How rigorously are you exercising daily? Because intense workouts every day can be bad for you =S.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #6  

i usually do 30 mins jogging/walking and 30 mins of belly dancing, I do that 4 times a week, on the days I don't jog I do 1hr of belly dancing instead as its low impact.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

It's normal for periods to go haywire during weight loss. First of all, fat cells store oestrogen, which means that hormonal disorders can worsen when you put on weight (e.g. PMS, PCOS). However, when you lose weight, the fat cells release oestroge on their way out and generally have a little party. I do FAM tracking so I know when I ovulate and so forth, and I can tell you that my cycles are jumping around pretty wildly, as well as the (mostly) worsened PMDD. The last two cycles, the premenstrual anxiety was worse but the migraine didn't appear, whereas this cycle the anxiety hasn't been noticeable but the migraine is being a killer. Luteal phase length has been all over the place, and bleeding patterns have been odd too.

And yes, temporary weight gain around a period is normal too. It may suddenly drop off, and it may or may not drop to where it was before it went up, but it shouldn't impede your weight loss long term. I didn't have scales yet for the first cycle, got a ten-day plateau for the second, and don't seem to be getting any hormonal weight gain for this one.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #8  

Well haywire is probably the right word. Since I started losing weight no two periods have been the same. For the first time ever I got mood swings, crying fits (at an M&S ad no less), and back pain. But it being due to weight loss makes sense and does make me feel better that it'll probably be temporary.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Ever heard the expression "PMS is when you cry because you can't get your shoes on"?! I've done the equivalent of crying at M&S ads many times, although that one did make me chuckle. Any kind of narrative trigger in a book can set me off, even a ludicrously mild one. I've been known to sob, "And then they...they...went out for coffee together!"

The one good thing I've found is that I'm not getting breast swelling any more, apart from a tiny bit of tenderness this month. So huzzah for that. I'm sure it varies hugely, don't rely on that happening to you, but I just wanted to reassure you that it's not all bad. Plus I'm starting from a position of having pretty wacky hormones due to PMDD and also severe ME/CFS, so I'm likely to get all of this worse than other people.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote