Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #1  
Results>Reasons

S/C/G: 196/190/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Runners! -- If the shoe fits....

Hey all, so I am doing the IF and CC for my weight loss.

Yesterday, while in the forests of Truckee/Nevada County California looking for a place to camp/more lakes/etc., I had an epiphany (kind of) of just how important getting in shape is...and NOT the weight. I just wish I could run bleachers again, like I had to do in high school, or want to race my friends up the hill to see who buys the next rounds. Now, I walked 1/4 mile up a 45 degree incline, and I was telling my bf to SHUT UP so I didn't have to talk -- I was trying hard to focus on not dying. Luckily, he was admittedly out of shape, as well..so I didn't feel so bad.

Anyway! I showed him the site for the c25k, and he offered to do it too. Great...now he'll make me do it.

So...I went to Kohls and bought some running shoes. I normally wear a size 10, but they only had 9.5. They fit...but almost too perfectly. I'll for sure have to wear thin socks with them. BF said that runners generally wear a smaller size....is this true?

They feel comfortable, but I haven't took them out running either. I also didn't try them on last night with socks when I was at the store.

What does everyone think?
AriesNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #2  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I actually go half a size up for running--if your toes are touching the end, they're probably too small...your toes will rub and either get irritated or blistered.

I would also highly advise getting fitted at a running store if you have one available in your area. Not all running shoes are the same and your foot size is only one indicator of what type of shoe is best for you (arch, strikepoint, and gait all are factors). Any good running store will provide this service for free.
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have heard of a lot of runners going up a half or whole size... never down. Like the PP above said, you don't want your toes to rub on the end or you will be miserable. There is nothing worse than trying to learn to run and having to stop because of blisters and rubbing.

I second the idea that you should try to go to a running store that will help you find the right shoe.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote