Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Trying bodypump tomorrow - any helpful tips?

I really don't like strength training, but I know I need to do it. My gyms offer this class at a good time, so I'm thinking of trying it.

I'm pretty much a novice. I've never, ever used a barbell before and the little strength training I have done has been with handweights (3, 5, 8, 10 lbs depending on the exercise). I've been doing cardio for 6 months with a bit of strength thrown in here and there.

So, what weights should I start out with? What kind of shoes? Anything else I should know?

I'm a bit scared!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #2  

Good for you! Shoes: Cross trainers are probably best for starters. I actually wear my running shoes because I'll also do cardio. Some big power lifters actually take their shoes off. But for beginners, you might need stabilization of a cross trainer.

Exercises: For the first 3 weeks or so, you need to ready your stabilizers. You can do this by starting with light dumbbells. Practice form and full range of motion. You'll know you're ready to up the weight when you perform the movement without being wobbly.

A few general principles to keep in mind: Work large muscle groups before smaller muscles. Reason being your small muscles work to support the larger ones. They can't be of much support if they're fatigued first. You'll compromise the quality of the lift of the larger muscles. So do squats and lunges, chest press and pull ups before bicep tricep and calf work.

Your muscles won't grow unless they're over loaded. So after the initial 3 weeks, don't be afraid to lift heavy.

Most importantly, find someone (or read) to show you proper form and technique. Every body is different. It would be a good investment to hire a personal trainer to diagnose muscle imbalances and skeletal structure to aid your form.

I might add to this later if I think of anything else!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Maybe you can go a little early and talk to the instructor and try out a few different weights and see what you can do.
Don't worry if you have to go down in weight or not finish all the reps.

Have fun! You'll be sore the day after
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #4  
Melissa

Thanks guys. I do plan to go in early, but I notice a lot of times the instructors are usually just getting there seconds before the class too and lots of time because another class is just finishing and we can't get in.

I know good form is key - which is why barbells scare me a bit.

Here's another question. Is this class mostly women? Mostly men? or a good mix. I'm trying to get my 14 year old to the gym and wonder if this might be something we can do together, but I don't want to make him come if he's one of the only (or few of) guys.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

Can you call the gym to ask if men take the class and what ages can come? I don't know if a 14 yr old would be allowed ???
Old 06-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #6  

Our gym has an age minimum of 16 for good reason. Kids tend to need more motivation, more disciplin and it can detract from tending to the other clients' needs.

Talk to the instructor about planning extra time. Tell the instructor that you'd like this so they don't have to "babysit" you during class and that everyone can get more out of the class.

If the instructor is a true professional, they should feel flattered that you sought them out for help. It's like with any teacher. The feeling of pride when watching someone correctly use what you taught them is motivating to the teacher.

You'll do great. Get any doubts right outta yer head!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW 268/ CW 202.4/ GW 150

Height: 5'1

Our body pump classes are usually mostly women but there are men Go light.... its a LOT of repetition. You will be doing 100+ reps in each set usually so I started with just a barbel and single small weight on each side and then worked up. There are some you will be able to do more for (legs) but it really depends on your own weight.

Go as close to the front as you can, it helps with form and motivation!

I find wearing heavier trainers is best because it grounds my feet easier for the squats and lunge tracks. If your floor is slippery at all and you find yourself sliding you can rub a just barely damp power towel over them to give you some traction.

Its a fun class! I take it 2-3 times a week and have been for months! If you are curious you can check youtube for "body pump" and there are people who video tape some of the tracks!

Last edited by patchymama; 06-27-2011 at 04:24 PM.
patchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #8  
Melissa

Man, just went to reserve a spot (some classes you need to do that) and every single class - 5 of them at three different gyms are all booked up! I guess that means I have to do the Total conditioning class that uses hand weights and kettleballs.

It's hard enough to get excited to go and add in that the class I want is booked is not helping my motivation!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #9  

Oh! How I hate to hear that, berry! Don't give up! Give it a shot, and then some. You're doing this for YOU, right? Keep that in your mind as you attend class. You may not like it, but you'll learn new things. You can later take the things you like, leave the things you don't behind and have your own personal bank of exercise you love and will love to do regularly.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

The one I went to was a good mix of people. A friend of mine went and she just used the barbell with no plates to get used to the moves and get her form down at first. The Barbell is a small amount of weight, and after so many repetitions it can get heavy, too, when you're not used to it. My first and only time I went I used 5s and 8s. I liked the class, just couldn't make it there. Good luck! It's a lot of fun!
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #11  
ddc
getting back to 140

If you're into working out at home, Jari Love's dvds are like a bodypump class.
I like Slim and Lean the best. I just use dumbbells (no barbell at home).
Old 06-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #12  
Melissa

Last night when I was signing up for my BodyStep class I saw that the BodyPump class following it still had space. While I was hesitant to sign up for a class JUSt after a tough cardio workout, I did.

Doing two classes in a row actually was no sweat (boy have I come a long way in fitness these last 6 months). I talked with the instructor before the class started and she helped me set up. She said light weights and one set of heavier weights. She adviced me when to switch for each of the songs for different body parts. While there were parts I could have gone heavier, most of it was just right.

I'm VERY mellow now with two big workouts, but they complement each other well. Wish there were two back to back like that on Friday or Monday, but nope!

Anyway, the class was fun. I got the hang of it pretty quickly and I'll do it again. Without my son however - all women in the class.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

I was so excited to see this thread! I am trying BodyPump for the first time tonight, and I am definitely a little nervous about it. I don't know if I'll have time to talk to the instructor beforehand, but I hope I do.
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #14  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I loved, loved, loved Body Pump, but the gym that had it closed. It was one of my favorite classes! Sweat would drip from the inside of my elbow onto the floor and I felt like such an animal!!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

Just got back...where has this class BEEN all my life? I feel like such a hard@ss, haha. Unfortunately our instructor was a sub and I really liked her, but she doesn't usually teach at my gym, boo.

Seriously, though, WHEN CAN I GO BACK?

Last edited by jennyplain; 07-20-2011 at 09:44 PM.
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote