PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Question Being on Metformin - Does it get easier?

I started on 750 mg of the ER 10 days ago. I am totally EXHAUSTED all the time, and too tired to exercise. I am also having SERIOUS carb cravings and have started drinking some caffeine again (I was trying to avoid it since I want to get pg) just to stay awake at work.

My other side effects were the worst on the first day and have been getting better, but the exhaustion seems to be getting worse, if anything.

Does it get easier? Now that I know I have PCOS I know the exercise and eating low carb is super-important but I feel like the Metformin is seriously getting in the way. But I haven't had a period for like 6 months so I think I need to be on it.
sophiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I think most of my side effects went away after a few days. It actually cuts my carb cravings. Maybe it is different for you. Good luck
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

How's your multivitamin scene? Because over time Metformin can drain your B12, and that's one of the energy ones. If you were deficient to begin with, maybe the Met is just making your low situation feel worse faster? Vit D and magnesium you might have low too.

Did your doc screen you in your blood panel for the vitamins and minerals?

If not, I'd ask.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-24-2011 at 09:46 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I started taking a prenatal vitamin in January. At that time my PCP also told me I was very deficient in Vitamin D. I have not been checked for any other vitamin deficiencies - that is a good point! I am going to see a new doctor who has more experience with PCOS and I will ask about it.
sophiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I was surprised to turn out Vit D too, but popping the daily extra D helped. You'd be surprised at what a simple vitamin rethink can do for your energy levels! I use fitday to keep a food log and that showed up the low stuff too. Just confirmed the labs.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-25-2011 at 04:30 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:03 AM   #6  
ReneeAnn

S/C/G: 200/135

Height: 5'4

I started taking metformin probably 4 months ago. It was going well, until I tried to eat red meat. I got horribly sick...throwing up, diarrhea, cold sweats...it was awful. I didn't realize that it was just red meat until the next time I tried to eat it and yet again, same symptoms. I honestly felt no difference in appetite or cravings...I was on it for 2 months and finally said forget it. I LOVE my red meat, even though I eat it only 1-2 times a week. I would rather be on glucophage and cinnamon with an exercise regimen than feel sick all the time!
Renee432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Chromium and Cinnamon really help with carb cravings.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote