Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

Default the side effects of dieting :(

Ok, so I have been back on my regime for a week now. I've been eating a lot of vegetables and drinking at least 2 litres of water per day. I have come across some rather unpleasant side effects. The feeling of needing the loo all the bloody time and gas. I'm sorry if this is to much info but I hoped someone out there would understand and sympathize and maybe even have a solution??

If not then I guess its a good thing I'm single.
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/167/140

Height: 5'4"

I completely understand your pain! I'm having this problem too. It's actually very common among people who eat a high fiber diet. I don't know a solution, I just try to toot in the bathroom. Which doesn't help much bc it still sounds like a boat horn! Just a friendly "you're not alone". Hope someone posts something that helps. My husband gives me alot of flack.
sniperhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

I know its normal, but it's so embarrassing! Apparently it'll go away once my body gets used to all the water and vegetables. But I am very grateful I'm single right now lol x
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #4  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

Let 'er rip!
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #5  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Boo! I wish I was going to the washroom like that seriously! I've been eating fiber cereal, drinking medimusal and still I can't poop a good poop!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #6  

Personally, I just let er rip or I eat veggies that do not cause as much gas
From http://www.livestrong.com/article/26...#ixzz1QFcLdIES
"Fortunately, it is possible to assemble a vitamin- and mineral-rich diet containing ample amounts of protein and other nutrients from foods known for not provoking flatulence. These include: vegetables, such as carrots, celery, green beans, cucumbers, green peppers and squash; fruits, such as apples, blueberries, nectarines, peaches, ears, plums, raspberries and strawberries; proteins, such as hard cheese, white portions of lean chicken and turkey, peanut butter, eggs and fish; wheat alternatives, such as millet and rice; and dairy substitutes, such as tofu, cheese, soy cream, almond and soy milk and soy yogurt."
That and you can try GasX
or hold the cheeks!!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 320/260/140

Height: 5'6

I pee and fart all the time now too, but in my humble opinion, that's a small price o pay for losing life-sucking poundage. I've lost 54 lbs. in 3 months, and I will take the excessive peeing/farting over being faaaaat any day! I do pee less now than I did when I started. Also when you are bloated w/ gas and you expel it (FART) you are instantly thinner!!!

Best wishes for continued success!

Sidanne

sidanne42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZTaCCen View Post
Boo! I wish I was going to the washroom like that seriously! I've been eating fiber cereal, drinking medimusal and still I can't poop a good poop!
Same thing with me. I drink a TON of water, increasing fiber (I'm a fiber queen). Working out did nothing for me-all those tips got on my nerves after a while lol because I think that a lot of the articles I find right away assume that we do not do these things. I did a lot of reading and some recommended reducing fiber, too much OR too little can cause issues, even if you drink lots of water.
I am no expert, but I find that these things make me regular, if I bother sticking w/ them.
I find that not drinking water during a meal, but waiting an hour afterwards helps. Also, not eating fruit with meals-spacing those out because the body digests fruit faster than meals. Also, drinking warm water, rather than ice cold all the time help-imagine your stomach as a boiling pot of water and you pouring a gallon of ice cold water in it-totally ruins the process.
If it is an emergency, then prunes+hot coffee will do the drink (but no Chinese tea, that stuff is terrible)
Also, scaring the sh*t out of yourself will work. Watch a scary movie, get nervous, I always poo before a test.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

Argh, this is the bane of my life! Luckily, my boyfriend is VERY supportive. In his words, 'if it means you're gettin' healthy, I can put up with a fart every now and again' =)
SpangleMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #10  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

This is my problem as well. i down 20oz of water every two hours and this is not really a good thing at my work. because we do a lot of moving around and we have a time limit with our work, it sucks having to spend 5 minutes of my time every 45 minutes to run to the bathroom because I'm about to pee my pants. The only good thing about moving around at work is that it gets my insides moving around and i find it much easier to poo after working 4-5 hours. I can go all weekend without a single poo. @.@ but half a day at work and I'm stuck in the bathroom.
as for gas, i notice i have issues with it after my weekend, after my lunch hour. But it's not such a big problem for me cause I work by myself so no one can really hear anything, everyone has earphones in for their MP3's anyway.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband teases me about my gassiness all the time.

I have IBS, and while the IBS symptoms including the gassiness has gotten a lot better as long as my diet is relatively consistent, any significant change and symptoms crop up. Any change in my diet has to be done gradually.

I eat a lot more produce in the summer (because I love fruits and vegetables, especially fresh from the farmers market), and if I don't increase gradually, I suffer for it.

So far, I've been doing ok, but it's really hard to increase fiber gradually. Tonight I'm probably in for some consequences, because I had two large japanese eggplants for dinner, and I had a stir-fry and a large helping of asian coleslaw for lunch, and frozen grapes for a snack.

I wasn't intending to eat all of the eggplant, but I find the flavor and texture of roasted eggplant addictive. Calorie-wise I'm still under budget for the day, but I ended up using some of my bread servings on vegetables (my exchange plan allows me to count three vegetables as one starch or fruit, because the calories and carb contents are similar).

I try to add produce gradually, but everything right now is so tasty, for so few calories I can easily get carried away.

I have to plan for Ranier cherry season, because every July I go on a cherry binge that I call the "cherry diet" or sometimes the "cherry and sweetcorn" diet. For the three weeks of Ranier cherry season, I eat as many cherries as I dare. I suffer greatly for it (though not on the scale. I usually lose weight, but at the expense of a having to spend a few days very close to home because of stomach problems from overindulging).

At least where gas is concerned, I'm kind of lucky that I'm on disability. I have the luxury of staying home when I have issues. It's still really embarassing when my husband notices.

Once he said "was that the cat?" because our old, fat cat is very gassy. Hers tend to be silent, but deadly though. The rotten old thing will actually go out of her way to fart in my face, when I'm lying in bed (my husband thinks I'm exagerating, but I'm convinced, because she'll come up to me, lie down close to my face, start purring and then fart and quickly walk away).

So anyway, now hubby and I both have made it a joke by pretrending to blame the cat.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:33 AM   #12  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelllate View Post
Same thing with me. I drink a TON of water, increasing fiber (I'm a fiber queen). Working out did nothing for me-all those tips got on my nerves after a while lol because I think that a lot of the articles I find right away assume that we do not do these things. I did a lot of reading and some recommended reducing fiber, too much OR too little can cause issues, even if you drink lots of water.
I am no expert, but I find that these things make me regular, if I bother sticking w/ them.
I find that not drinking water during a meal, but waiting an hour afterwards helps. Also, not eating fruit with meals-spacing those out because the body digests fruit faster than meals. Also, drinking warm water, rather than ice cold all the time help-imagine your stomach as a boiling pot of water and you pouring a gallon of ice cold water in it-totally ruins the process.
If it is an emergency, then prunes+hot coffee will do the drink (but no Chinese tea, that stuff is terrible)
Also, scaring the sh*t out of yourself will work. Watch a scary movie, get nervous, I always poo before a test.
Yea I Can poop when I'm nervous, upset or just on TOM. but regularly nope but I sure do fart alot when I'm working out, I do a squat and fart LOL its like when I workout my body moves stuff around and allows me to fart at the wrong times haha.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 205/167/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Once he said "was that the cat?" because our old, fat cat is very gassy. Hers tend to be silent, but deadly though. The rotten old thing will actually go out of her way to fart in my face, when I'm lying in bed (my husband thinks I'm exagerating, but I'm convinced, because she'll come up to me, lie down close to my face, start purring and then fart and quickly walk away).
Hahahahaha! Hilarious!

Quote:
Eat oatmeal. Drop the cereal and fiber supplements and grab one of those big containers of mixed salad greens with spinach. I eat a big salad everyday using this mix with a couple cut up strawberries and low cal asian sesame dressing and am more regular now then when I ate hi fiber cereal and fiberplus bars. I don't eat the cereal or bars except occasionally and when I do, I just toot and bloat. It's ridiculous!
sniperhil is offline   Reply With Quote