Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

View Poll Results: How often should we exercise?
As often as possible 5 20.83%
Every day 2 8.33%
Most days 11 45.83%
It's more complicated than that 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/115/107

Height: 5'2"

Default What's the truth?

Is it OK/beneficial to exercise daily (or 1-2 times/day)? Or do you need to take longer breaks between workouts?

I can't help but to think of those people on weight loss shows who have the opportunity to dedicate themselves entirely to weight loss, and they seem to exercise like it's their full time job, putting in equal hours.

I have the desire and the opportunity to exercise most days, often twice a day. But is it worth it... and more importantly, does it help?

What do I need to know to lose fat the fastest?

TIA!
skinny fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #2  

"Double sessions" are allowed. I would recommend them, even, but ONLY if you are a seasoned vet in working out. If you are just starting out, it's likely you'll end up with an overuse injury. Also, don't double session for long periods of time for the same reason. Use it temporarily to get out of a plateau.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Not necessary...detrimental to weight/fat loss IMHO. 3-4 times/week, high intensity...or steady state, work optimally at attaining a lean physique...if that's what your looking for.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

I believe you can cardio every day, but with weight training (from stuff that I've read) you should give yourself at least a 24-hour break. This would be if you're doing high-weight, low-rep type weight training, not necessarily the 'circuit' type of weight training (think 30-day shred circuit) that uses high-rep bodyweight exercises to elevate heart rate as well.

I'd say take at least one day off per week, and if you feel the signs of overtraining to stop and scale back.
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #5  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I think it depends on your goals. Since your goal is fat loss - strength training is very important. Cardio is good, too - but doing intervals is best for fat loss (as opposed to steady-state cardio). Or doing HIIT.

I decided to train for a triathlon. I have been trying to swim once a week, bike twice a week, run three times a week and squeeze in some ab/core work. I haven't been totally hitting my goals... but all the work outs make me HUNGRY. Which makes it hard to keep a calorie deficit, which means no weight loss.

Too much exercise is going to make you hungry! If you can do it and still keep the calories in check - I say go for it. But it is something I am really struggling with.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote