Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default A problem I never thought I would have

This morning I weighed 124. 125 was my low weight threshold. I have not been actively trying to lose weight since I hit goal, 135, but each month around period time I lose 2-3 pounds. On days when I feel like all I do is eat, I am lucky to rech 1800 calories. I allow myself treats and have been using full fat versions of things instead of the lighter versions. I have done a good job of converting my eating habits, but because of the amount I can eat, it seems like I just can't get enough calories with healthy foods.

I am less than ten pounds away from being officially underweight and I don't want to lose anothe pound. I don't want to just start shoving more and more crap in my face to up my calories, because that is not healthy and I do still have treats as it is. I am not sure what to do to stop my weight loss. Sorry if this is annoying.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #2  

Height: 5'1"

I wish I had that problem!!! Great job meeting your goal! That is awesome and not annoying at all. In fact, it is inspiring. Any tips? How did you do it?

Your body will stabilize soon and you will stop continuing to lose weight. Don't change your eating habits and certainly don't over indulge in sweets & treats. Hang in there and enjoy this "problem"
SaraBreeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 168/159.6/139

Hi there. I'm the same height as you and have been as low as 127 as an adult. Depending on your build, you might not actually be so close to "under weight." The 120s are healthy for a woman 5'6''. I definitely wouldn't try to eat crap to stop the weight loss. What about adding in more healthy carbs like beans and whole grains?
NicoleInCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Healthy fats, healthy fats, healthy fats.

They're small volume (so you won't feel like you're stuffing your face) but give you more calories in a smaller package. AND they increase absorption of some vitamins and can make your hair, nails, and skin better (not to mention the heart-healthy benefits).

Peanut butter and nuts, avocado, olive oil, flax seed...add some in!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

I have been 125 before and that was the point when people started calling me Skeletor. Ha. And I am fairly certain that 118 is the bottom of healthy BMI for my height. I am not freaking about the weight I am at now, though it is lower than I want, but more about the trouble I am having stopping. Plus I do have a little loose skin and less muscle bulk than when I was thin when I was young, so without that loose skin I would weigh even less.

Mandalinn, I just bpught nuts when I was at the store with that thought in mind. I am glad to hear my healthy fat instinct seems to be right.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #6  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Though most people would envy your problem, I understand the need to not lose any more...it would be as or more unhealthy then being overweight and can be destructive to the body.

Building muscle is a good idea...up the weight training, light weight more repitition. That way you don't bulk up while building a soild muscle mass. If you up cals, perhaps proteins would be a better choice then the garbage. Nuts are good. How about protein shakes between meals?

Have you talked to a NUT about this? They may have some more insights.

Good luck!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 06-20-2011 at 01:06 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

LOVE Amanda's suggestion about the fats - they'll add calories without stretching out your pouch.

and hmmmm - not to hijack the thread, but over the past few weeks, people have noticed that i'm losing weight again [yay!], and i just realized that, although i haven't been doing anything more than making slight tweaks here and there, one of the things i've been doing is not adding fat to food - and eating FF yogurt just about every day. and i haven't been eating peanuts or peanut butter, either!

whatever works!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #8  
PT & Nutritionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael View Post
This morning I weighed 124. 125 was my low weight threshold. I have not been actively trying to lose weight since I hit goal, 135, but each month around period time I lose 2-3 pounds. On days when I feel like all I do is eat, I am lucky to rech 1800 calories. I allow myself treats and have been using full fat versions of things instead of the lighter versions. I have done a good job of converting my eating habits, but because of the amount I can eat, it seems like I just can't get enough calories with healthy foods.

I am less than ten pounds away from being officially underweight and I don't want to lose anothe pound. I don't want to just start shoving more and more crap in my face to up my calories, because that is not healthy and I do still have treats as it is. I am not sure what to do to stop my weight loss. Sorry if this is annoying.
Hello Rachael,

It may be a case you are losing lean tissue (muscle) rather than body fat, through a process called gluconeogenesis. This could be to do with only eating 1800 calories, you may not be reaching your BMR, Basal Metabolic Rate, using the correct amount of each macronutrients.

Speaking to a Nutritionist and finding out your BMR may be a good idea. There are a number of factors that could be contributing to your weight loss.

How are you feeling on a day to day basis?
Do you know what percentage of your foods are making up the 1800 calories?
Do you exercise regularly?

Without knowing about your background it's hard to give a correct and thorough diagnosis, but some of the other replies make sense, eat some more healthy fats and make sure your protein levels are sufficient, not to mention your complex carbohydrates. Those are obviously all three macronutrients the body need to function and in the correct portions with the correct levels of exercise you should comfortably maintain a weight your happy with.

Craig

Last edited by TotalFitPT; 06-20-2011 at 01:34 PM.
TotalFitPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

Craig - nice to meet you. And I hope you find the support on 3FC that you need. You've managed to post in the Weight Loss Surgery forum - and we expect that people from other forums who stop by will understand and respect that some of our needs are a little different than people who lose weight the old fashioned way [notice i said A LITTLE DIFFERENT - not COMPLETELY different - we don't have a 'get out of gym' pass, or permission to eat anything that we want. DRAT! ].

So I'm going to ask that you read this thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ead-first.html

thanks!

Last edited by jiffypop; 06-20-2011 at 05:12 PM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 154/130/125

Height: 5'5''

Super.. How I wish I have the same problem..
RudeImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #11  
New2disButTrue2dis

S/C/G: 185/223/165

I second that.........
Time2GetFine82 is offline   Reply With Quote