PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Question Edema & PCOS?

So I've had an issue with edema as I've slowly lost weight over the last few years.. now, mind you, for a couple of years I was donating plamsa which definitely contributed to my edema. However, I haven't donated in like 6 months.

My only medical problem is PCOS - I have a lot of symptoms of hypothyroid but doctors say I do not have it. It COULD be caused simply by my slightly low blood pressure I suppose (my usual blood pressure reading is around 110/70 but fluctuates lower) and my pulse is usually in the low fifites but often dips into the 40's. My body temperature is also always low.

Does anyone else experience unexplained edema? My legs are swollen most of the day - not painful or anything but noticeably swollen - and when I wake up in the morning my hands/face are swollen because it has moved there overnight.

*Edited to add that I am not on ANY medications and never have been (except the occasional antibiotics treatment etc.*

Last edited by CristyUT; 06-19-2011 at 04:07 PM.
CristyUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

What were your thyroid labs like? Remember that every lab uses slightly different range for "normal." I remember I test "low normal" for years before it finally crept out of range and got the hypothyroid dx even though I still felt wrong way before. How YOU feel is individual -- so it is annoying if they don't listen. Did you get a 2nd opinion?

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #3  

Height: 5'9

Unfortunately my labs were quite normal and I did see two separate doctors about it. First TSH came back as 1.8ish and 2nd a year later came back as 1.7ish. I also paid out-of-pocket for the more thorough tests in between (T3/T4 or whatnot) and those also came back quite normal.

My last doctor said I'm just depressed, lol.
CristyUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #4  

Hello,
I was diagnosed with PCOS two years ago. I was 22 years old , I and was about 125 lbs, 5'2. Now I am 140lbs but still the same clothing size 4. I think this is all water weight because I am suffering from terrible edema in my legs they are painful and even turn slightly purple at night when I sleep. My office hours range from 10-12 per day and after I leave the office the legs are sometimes slightly purple/red and always extremely swollen. I refuse to medicate and have started a new diet called the eat right for my blood type diet which is taking out all gluten, dairy and wheat from my diet. I take turns standing and sitting throughout the day and exercise every day for 1 hr. I also take time to massage my legs (where the edema is) at least twice a day, its very painful and bruises sometimes but it helps it feel better after.... There is also a cream and supplement I started using called vitas imported from france which supports a healthy lymphatic system. all of this is helping me slowly it is a lifestyle change to manage the pain but I'm still suffering please let me know if you have tried anything that has worked. Diet is key to keeping regular ovulation for me also stress must be managed eat lots of whole organic raw foods and good olive oil. good luck!
Redmoon347 is offline   Reply With Quote