Old 06-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #1  
proud mama

S/C/G: S196.2/See Ticker/G135

Height: 5'7"

Default Calorie Counting Vs. Weight Watchers

Hi guys, I'm not new but just returning after a long hiatus. My question for you is this: Which do you find easier and/or more effective calorie counting or weight watchers? I am a lifetime member of WW with a goal weight of 142 (obviously went of the wagon a time or two). I do well with WW when I'm doing it but always find it hard to get to the meetings or to consistantly track my points so I just give up. Sounds like calorie counting is the way to go, but I'm definitely not educated on it, and I'm afraid I won't be consistent without the meetings. Thoughts?
wannabeskinnyagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

calorite counting.. i hate WW. I found with calorie counting i was able to judge my food better than base it on points.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have done both and like you a lifetime member in WW, didn't maintain that, but that is not WW fault. I decided I was not going to pay someone to tell me what to eat and started Calorie Counting. CC has worked well for me. it is reliable, flexible and helps you to maintain long term. I still think WW is a good program but find Calorie Counting works best for me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #4  

I did WW for 12 weeks and lost a good two stone.

However.. I tracked my meals for a few days into livestrong and found that I was eating 800 cals a day on average! I don't eat much fruit, I am a picky eater. Because fatter foods are more points I was eating all my points but not enough calories. Sure, I lost weight quickly, but it wasn't that enjoyable.

I have now switched to eating between 1,200- 1,300 cals a day and keeping under 40g of carbs a day and cutting out white carbs completely.

That got me out of a plateua and it seems to work better for me.

I think pro points is ok, BUT a lot of people have to adjust the diet to get it to work for them. Some had to count fruit or they would gain weight and others had to mess with their points to get it to work, some could eat their extra 49 points and others couldn't. I personally had enough of paying them money when I had to tweak it so much anyway. If you get a lot from the meetings then I think that's great. I prefer to weigh myself and use online forums to keep me going.
samu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

There are tons of online journals to help keep you accountable when counting calories. I use MyFitnessPal which has an app I can pull up on my phone while driving to a restaurant my hubby decided he wanted to go to. CCing requires a lot of planning if you do go out to eat, and being able to measure your food as accurately as possible is definitely recommended! The way I see it is that the additional planning required is a better alternative to having to make time to attend meetings (which can make you anxious!).

When I first started CCing, it was a little discouraging ('OMG I didn't realize my favorite snack cost so much calories!') but I took on a no-compromises attitude. Things that had to go, had to go! Once you get down to a core meal plan with things that you like to eat, it's easy and fun to log in and record your calories for the day.

With CCing, you're in control! I know that if I 'fail' when it comes to CCing, I have no one to blame but myself!

Last edited by mimi86; 06-18-2011 at 05:04 PM.
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #6  
proud mama

S/C/G: S196.2/See Ticker/G135

Height: 5'7"

Wow, great advice ladies. Thank you. Now I guess my next question would be, how do I figure out how many calories is a good amount for me? I hear a lot of people say 1200-1500 daily but how do you calculate that? Or is it truly just a guessing game and the 1200-1500 is a just a good place to start?
wannabeskinnyagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #7  

I think WW is better, having lost over 200 pounds with them many years ago and keeping it off, and I still attend meetings. WW teaches you to eat a healthy diet. Calorie counters think anything is fine as long as they don't go over points. If you want to be successful, you have to track every BLT no matter which you do and that that aslo means weighing and measuring. There are no half measures to successful weight loss and maintenance.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #8  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeskinnyagain View Post
Wow, great advice ladies. Thank you. Now I guess my next question would be, how do I figure out how many calories is a good amount for me? I hear a lot of people say 1200-1500 daily but how do you calculate that? Or is it truly just a guessing game and the 1200-1500 is a just a good place to start?
It depends on how many it would take for you to maintain, based on your BMR and activity level. Subtracting 500 from that per day would normally help you lose 1 lb a week. Don't subtract more than 1,000. It also good to start slow (so start with -500 at the most.)
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

When I was calorie counting, I was eating within my range, but too much fat. WW has helped me eat a more balanced diet because the higher points foods are less balanced. WW got me out of a plateau.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #10  

I've never tried Weight Watchers. I don't see why anyone would count points over calories.
blancheneige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Calorie counters think anything is fine as long as they don't go over points. .
This is not true I do not eat 1400 calories of hot fudge sundaes for my meals for the day, I eat healthy, nutritious food, as I believe most calorie counters do. Calorie Counting is flexible in your food choices but that doesn't mean you can eat ice cream all day.
It's not a matter of which is better WW or CC, it is what works best for you.
I have done them both and will stick with CC, and I save money, too.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blancheneige View Post
I've never tried Weight Watchers. I don't see why anyone would count points over calories.
Well, if you've never done WW then you wouldn't understand why. I have done both and WW works the best for me. Taught me how to eat nutritionally dense and balanced foods. If counting cals for for you, then great, but it doesn't work for everyone. Not all calorie counters eat an unbalanced diet, but I did. WW works well for a lot of people.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #13  

When it comes right down to it we can eat an unbalanced diet no matter what plan we are on. It is all a matter of choice.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 161.4/145/130

Height: 5'5"

I love WW it really is just a simplified calorie counting way. But I also like WW for the meetings and being accountable and the in person support. It works for me and that's what it really boils down too. What works for you.
Proatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

I use Weight Watchers. I like it. It fits with my life, I enjoy the extra support I get through the online community and that meetings are available. Finding the right meeting can be a HUGE boost if you are a person that needs in person support. It's a thoroughly researched plan, and it works if you follow the program, but like any program you have to tweak it to fit for you... AND to fully follow the plan there are Good Health Guidelines and so many other lessons on eating healthful, filling foods and moving more!

It's close to calorie counting, but not exactly the same. Similarities include... there's a daily points target, and weekly points as well as points you can earn for extra activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Calorie counters think anything is fine as long as they don't go over points.
This isn't quite true, actually. If you look around 3FC, yes, there are some people who might eat whatever they want, but so do some Weight Watchers members! There are other members... maintainers, and long-time 3FCers who do choose to eat mostly whole and healthy foods and they count calories. Using their calories (and points) wisely.

So that isn't a universal truth. Any plan can be done through less-than-healthy means, but a person who TRULY is following the heart of a plan is going to be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blancheneige View Post
Simple. Counting Points might be similar to counting calories, but there are differences.

Points don't just use calories alone. There's a rather complicated formula that takes into account WHAT the calories are... so in a sense, counting points does a lot of the carb/fat/protein counting for us.

Support. While there are support groups for people losing weight, Weight Watchers initial difference is that it comes with a built in support group for those who choose to go to the centers. Even the online forums are fairly well frequented.

Fits their lifestyle. Why do you choose to count calories over using low carb? Or why don't you try South Beach? Or why don't you use the Dukan Diet? ...Because counting calories fits YOUR life.

Counting Points fits mine. And as long as I follow WW healthfully, and for as long as it fits my life... I'm going to continue to use it

Choose a plan that fits what you're going to do. If it doesn't fit... tweak it, or try something new!

Best of wishes in finding what works!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote