Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #1  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Default Walking so hard my toenail is falling off!

Well, I feel like I'm definitely not slacking, anyway.. I'm walking so fast and so hard that I'm losing body parts

I've been walking an average of 3.5 miles a day, maintaining a speed of about 3.8mph each walk. My second toe on my right foot has been feeling funny for a coupla days. (and my ankle on the same foot, but that's a whole separate worry)

I gave my toenail a closer inspection just now, and it's LOOSE! And not just that, there's this weird blood-blister looking thing underneath it, sorta pushing/popping it off the nail bed. GROSS AND OUCH!!

Anyone ever have this happen? I didn't stub it or anything, this has just been my first week of REALLY getting back into the walking. And I'm wearing brand new Nikes that I bought myself for my birthday a coupla weeks ago, which are super comfy and awesome.

Last edited by m3rma1d; 06-17-2011 at 10:00 PM.
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #2  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

There are lots of articles on runnersworld.com about black and loose toenails. I was just reading one of them last night from Hal Higdon, who writes many articles about marathoning. It is caused from your toe striking the front of your shoes many, many times over and over again. Also, it is much more likely to happen in the summer when your feet swell from the heat. It usually happens when you increase mileage intensity very quickly. Contrary to public opinion, it is not always from having shoes that are too small, although this does contribute. Always make sure that when you purchase new shoes that they are 1/2 to 1 size larger than what you normally wear. Also, make sure that you are able to tie them tight enough so that your foot does not slide around too much.

Hal actually suggests that you just leave it alone and do nothing, however if it is really painful or the appearance is bothering, you can visit your doctor and possibly have it pierced and let the pressure off.

Best wishes with your walking!!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I agree, definately get your shoes a 1/2 a size bigger to relieve some of the pressure.
It happened to my cousin when she started running marathons.
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #4  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

The thing is, these shoes ARE a half size bigger. They're actually a little too big and my toe is "gripping" (a friend suggested that and when she said it, it clicked for me that yes, that's prolly what is happening)

And I definitely cannot afford another brand new pair of sneakers right now, I just bought these 2 weeks ago...

And now for the last 4 days (starting before the toe thing) I have REALLY bad pain on the outside of the same foot when I bend/point/flex... And it's getting worse every walk I take. I'd attribute it to walking funny due to the toe, but like I said, it started before the toe thing..

I am screwed.

Last edited by m3rma1d; 06-18-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #5  

The foot pain would worry me wrt shoes. (The toenail, not so much, and don't assume they're related.) Serious pain that's increasing with use is a problem that's not going to go away on its own.

The Fixing Your Feet blog (www.fixingyourfeet.com/blog) has good info on dealing with black toenails. Turn off images before you go there if you're at all squeamish about seeing gross feet.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Yep, your shoes are too small.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #7  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

I've lost 5 toenails now, shoe size is large enough, wouldn't worry to much about it, aside from the discomfort its liveable.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #8  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
Yep, your shoes are too small.
No actually, I already said they're a little bit too big...