Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Losing inches

I understand the concept, just not the specifics.

When someone says they've lost X inches, what exactly do they mean? I get, "I've lost 2 inches off my waist", or "I've lost 3 inches off my hips", but when they give a total what measuring points are they lumping together? Is there a standard? If there is, why can't I find it?
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #2  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I mean that I've lost x amount of inches from all over, where I measure which would be my upper arms, forearms, waist, hips, thighs and calves (I used to measure my chest too but I find that deflation to be depressing so I don't bother anymore, it doesn't go into my total count).

I don't know what you mean by a standard?

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 06-16-2011 at 11:13 AM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I've wondered this too. I always say I've lost X number of inches from whatever body part I'm talking about. It doesn't really make sense to me to add them all together because there are so many things that you CAN measure on your body. So a person who has lost 1 inch from there waist could've also lost 2 inches from their hips, 3 from their bust, 1 from there thight and 1 from their arm, which is 7 inches. They're still the same person with the same loss as someone who is only measuring their waist.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Oh, by standard you must mean particular measurements everyone takes. I think it depends on the person. I started measuring my ankles. I'm sure some people do it while others do not. Many people, especially women, probably measure their chest but I quit. I know some measure their necks. So it just depends.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #5  

What I mean by a standard is: is everyone using the same measurements? Because if I only measured bust/waist/hip, I can't really compare to someone who has 6 different measure points. Not that we should compare anyway, but you get might point. I don't feel like I have any sense of what someone means when they say they've lost X inches, although I totally understand X inches from hips/waist/thigh.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't think there is a standard way, unfortunately. I also generally do bust/waist/hips but I also measure my upper arms/thighs/lower belly too but not as often. I think most people probably measure the body parts that they are most concerned about. I would've never thought to measure my ankles because I don't really carry weight there but I measure multiple parts of my mid-section because I do carry weight there.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

I don't think there's a standard.

I use... arms, chest, waist, hips, thighs. And I don't really use "overall", but I can see how some people might enjoy seeing they lost 10 inches overall or something.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

My advice: If someone says "I lost X inches" and doesn't specify whence (other than, presumably, their own body), ask them to be specific! I'm sure everyone on here would oblige if you asked for clarification. In the real world, well, one never knows and should probably just let it slide unless you know the person well.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

Height: 5' 8"

This is why I don't really bother with the inches thing. I go by how my clothes fit and how many notches smaller my belt can get I have even noticed since I started this journey that my feet are closer together on the Wii scale. Back in January my feet would be in the center of the squares, now the comfortable spot is barely inside the squares towards the center - yeah me! (but walking in my bathing suit still has an annoying thigh rub and forces me to walk like a cowboy so I use my full stride, a quirk I don't have with shorts, jeans, workout shorts...) I occassionally take measurements by looking up the size charts for the clothes I wear with no muffin top, gaps, etc and only need those for the unreliable, but interesting, body fat % calculators.

Last edited by NTexas; 06-16-2011 at 01:06 PM.
NTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #10  

Yeah, I've more or less been letting it slide.

Lovely - I hadn't thought to look at my own "total". I just did, and "8 inches" sounds a lot better than "not much"
Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

I know that the trainers at my have standards. the thigh measurement is 4 inches above the knee. The hip measurement is 3 inches below the belly button. I don't know if it is a standard for that gym or if it is for all measurements.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

I measure arm,neck,bust,waist,hip,thighs and calves. I do it just to see my changes overall. Just on my neck alone I've lost 2 inches... I don't think there is a standard for it but it's an amazing way to keep track if your scale doesn't move...
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #13  
Hug a Tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferumbras View Post
My advice: If someone says "I lost X inches" and doesn't specify whence (other than, presumably, their own body), ask them to be specific!
Why? I guess I don't understand why you would care where they lost it. I don't compare my number to anyone else. I'm just comparing to where I've been in the past.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Landonsbaby: I think that's more a question for the OP than for me, as she's the one wanting to understand what people mean when they say it. But to answer for myself, while I wouldn't do it to compare my weight loss with someone else's, I would if I was trying to figure out the "language of weight loss," as it were. If the people around me were talking about it that way and I didn't know what they meant, I'd feel as though I couldn't participate in the conversation in any meaningful way, with or without comparisons.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

I get measured almost monthly in numerous places, so I will say "well this month I lost X amount of inches" I also, include the inches that I have gained too. So if I went up an inch on my chest, but down an inch on my waist, I am at "0" inches lost this month. It really depends on who I am talking to for what information I give out.

I feel good saying, "Hey, I lost 9 inches this month" I know it is good loss, so it keeps me motivated to see the higher numbers. Plus, it is easier to give a whole number, rather than individual numbers for every area I measure.

I don't really care about my bust measurements, that varies on the sports bra I wear, but my shoulder measurement shows how much more narrow I have finally gotten
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote