PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #1  

Default hi new to Metformin with Questions

Hi all
I have been on this site before, but have been gone a long while now, but am back!

I had to have a partial thryoidectomy and have not been able to lose much weight since the surgery. My Dr. did have to play with my meds so that my thyroid numbers were in the right range--we are all set there, but he wants me to lose weight ( as do I). I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago when my now ex husband and I were TTC, so not sure where I am with that now, but doc wanted me to try Metformin........so the question is what did others have as side effects and how long did they last? today is day #4 on the med, and the past 3 days I have had headaches, and stomach pains--more "gurgly gut" than anything else, but does this go away? Do certain foods aggravate this?

Thanks for any help!
Maureen
moving to 1derland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Ive been on Met and it caused me to have severe diarreah .. i ended up having to switch to glumetza..and yes headaches do happen..you will find that the more sugary stuff you eat or high in carb stuff you eat..the more you might have gurgly gut..i know it aggrivated my stomach
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I want to say it took me about a week to adjust when I started taking it. I felt nauseous, which I almost never do. My doctor did warn me that it can be troublesome and he started me on a lower dose and had me move up once I was used to it. I do make sure to always take it with food.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

I hated metformin at first - I had severe heartburn and gurgly gut - it was so embarrassing - sitting all quiet in class and then - RUMBLE - I wanted to die!

I have since found out that you MUST eat when you take metformin - it is very hard on your stomach otherwise, and doesn't do much for lowering your blood sugar just because - it needs the normally secreted insulin to work with it.
PM me if you need any further info!
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

The extended release version of Metformin can lessen symptoms for some people.
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

You can also ask for a different one -- glumetza, fortamet. Different ones get digested differently. Or go with the same but the XR version -- extended release helps.

And did you stair step up and take it with a meal? When I took it my final dose was 2000 so I had to do a week at 500, then 1000, then 1500 and then the 2000.

GL!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #7  

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for the responses everyone!
The first 3 days on it was a little rough, but yesterday was fine--I am planning on being diligent with food choices to avoid "gurgling"--none yesterday which was great!

And, I do have to adjust dose up--Dr. said one week on 500, then up to 1000.....so I am thinking I may have another rough couple of days when I switch until my body gets used to it, but as long as I know it goes awayI am ok!

Again, thanks to all!
Maureen
Old 06-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

On Monday (5 days ago) I was diagnosed with PCOS and started 500 mg Metformin Monday night. I took it in the middle of a meal like people recommend but I still spent all night feeling like I was about to throw up, then the next day feeling nauseated, burping constantly, had diarrhea, etc. I was supposed to take another one in the morning but I felt so bad I didn't do it.

I called my doctor and asked to switch to the Metformin ER 750 mg because I heard it causes fewer side effects although is less effective at lowering blood sugar. I started that Tuesday night. Since then I still am somewhat nauseated during the day, burp all day, but each day it's gotten less. It is also making me very tired but since I usually have problems sleeping I actually kind of enjoy that it's making it easier for me to sleep.
sophiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #9  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

I stopped taking metformin about after a week of taking it. It was horrible. i had diarrhea like everyday. and i was just generally feeling ill.

Last edited by helwa588; 06-19-2011 at 04:36 PM.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #10  

Default Eat with food

Yeah, the effects will go away over time for most people (but it's no fun waiting for your body to adjust!)

And when people say eat with food, they mean eat food, THEN take your meds immediately after. Food already in your belly will help lessen the side effects...taking the meds then eating something, or taking the meds a half hour after eating leaves you more prone to the side effects...

Also, for the nausea and general crappy feeling, I found ginger tea to be a godsend. I used tea bags, but I know some make their tea by slicing the ginger root and then boiling that. It can be a bit spicy for some, but it really does help calm the stomach.

Good luck!

Sara

Last edited by hardests; 06-20-2011 at 10:31 AM.
hardests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #11  

It has been over a week now with Meformin. I am going very low carb and no sweets to be easier on my stomach, and that does seem to help. However, I have decided eggs are a HUGE no-no--they do not sit well in my stomach AT ALL-this was not a problem before....

So, I did call my Dr. as I was supposed to step up to take 2 pills (500 mg) per day-one at breakfast and one at dinner. I have been feeling so bleh! I don't want to eat, nevermind take another med at dinner so I haven't been able to step it up yet. I requested the ER version and he told me to try to take the 2 nd pill, and if I can't, just stick with the one, and we will discuss "switching" at my appt on 7/7. Maybe by then I will be more used to the med.

On a happy note, I have lost weight in the last week-7 lbs---which I know will not continue, but exciting nonetheless
Old 06-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/243.2/175

Height: 5'2

I started taking metformin on 2-1-11 and it gave me a sluggish feeling and gurgly gut at first. It took about 2 weeks to level off. I started with 2 pills a day. I lost a lot of weight in the beginning and now I have somewhat leveled off. I feel good but my appetite is back. Ive debated if I should ask for another pill for lunchtime. My blood sugar seems to be doing well though
myhaloisintheshop is offline   Reply With Quote