Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Feeling guilty about "quitting" the trainer

Hey Y'all,

I've done 20 sesssion with my trainer and have decided to stop for a while. I'm feeling really guilty. I like her, she pushes me,she's been a great motivator and she's helped me make vast improvements that I wouldn't have made on my own.

I don't feel guilty about taking a break, I feel guilty because now that's one less client she has. I think I hurt her feelings. The gym trainers are very competitive and she's the youngest and the only female, so I know she's trying to build her clientel.

But, I need the break. There's a possibility of a new job in a different city, plus it's the summer and I just need to ease up a bit and relax. I'm not going to quit working out, just a switch up in my routine.

I've told her that I will call her to do individual sessions (I bought 2- 10 session packages because they were cheaper & those have ended). But I do plan to use her a few times in the summer. We've also talked about doing some of the group classes together and just "meeting up" at the gym.

If I stay in the area, I may pick back up with her in the fall. Like I said, she's awesome!

Am I crazy for feeling guilty?
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I don't blame you for feeling a bit guilty, but ultimately you have to do what's best for you and she knows that. Don't beat yourself up over it. I'm sure she harbors no ill-will toward you.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You feel guilty because you're a kind-hearted person. However, you have no real reason to feel guilty. The relationship between a trainer and a client is not an ongoing relationship like you would have with your dentist, who you would have to see every 6 months for a cleaning. A trainer is more like a tutor. You may hire a tutor to improve, say your math skills. You can then stop working with the tutor once you feel confident in what you wanted to learn. Then, in the future, if you feel like you'd like to learn more, you hire them again.

It is not your responsibility to keep her working. If she's good, she'll get there and it sounds like she is. I think it's not fair of her to make you feel guilty...unless you're just feeling that way without her giving you any indication she's upset. I feel it's unprofessional to make someone feel guilty if they no longer require services or even if they find someone they work with better.

Again, you're very kind and thoughtful, but you have nothing to feel guilty about.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #4  

It's a business. She's not giving her services to you for free-- you do not owe her anything.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, ladies!

Luckymommy, She didn't say or do anything to make me feel guilty. It's all on me. She's been professional throughout.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote