General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #1  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Default Moving Home After Being Away

Talking to friends back in the USA I realize I have no idea what's going on or what's cool or who's who these days. I wonder if when I land at JFK on July 31 I am going to feel like some outdated anachronism from 2008. I've only lived in Japan for 3 years and I have visited home a few times, but it always felt like an exotic vacation.

I know lots of people live abroad for a while and go home and adjust happily back to being in their home country. What are your success stories/challenges you've faced? Reverse culture shock?

Really, I'm excited about being shocked, if that makes sense.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #2  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I know what you mean. I moved to Canada 5 years ago and only visit Europe every 2 years or so. My knowledge of the daily life is stuck in 2006. So many changes to the culture, language and lifes. I keep in touch with family and friends, read the news etc. but it is different when you don't live there. I am always shocked when I go back for a visit. I am not sure if I would want to go back and live there anymore. Even stuff I was used to like narrow road, reckless drivers etc. are soooo strange now.
And I think Europe and North America isn't even that bad. I can't imagine the difference between USA and Japan.
I am sure it will be exciting and an adventure! Especially when you want to go back.
Good luck and definitely let us know how it is going!!

Last edited by josey; 06-10-2011 at 10:11 AM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I hope you'll adjust easily. You'll probably star missing Japan and Japanese food once you are home.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I've never lived abroad, but I never know what's going on, what's cool, who's who. I get by.

I'm sure you'll adjust well.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Krampus -

After 4 years in China, re-entry was HARD for me, ain't gonna lie. But I also have friends who returned to the States and readjusted quickly, with minimal drama and angst. Part of my problem was that I returned to the States, but to a different city where a knew very few people, and was dealing with being broke and unemployed.

I found this book helpful in preparing to come home. I think the Peace Corps used it with their volunteers for a while. Not everything will apply to you (the author discusses expat businesspeople a lot) but it gave me a general idea of what to expect from people when I came home, and how weird I would appear to them.

Transitioning back is hard, but don't borrow trouble - it might be a piece of cake for you. It's hard to predict how it will be for you until you get back.

Oh, find some other former expats to hang out with/communicate with, wherever you end up! Venting and talking to other "China peeps" my first couple of years back was invaluable.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote