Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Default I am a n00b.(need to lose at least 10 lbs_

LOL...

I am really a noob though. Never thought I would need to exercise, but I am one year away from 20's and my metabolism is kicking in. I used to be able to eat whatever I want and not it's all piled up in my stomach area. I want to start out by saying I tried running on treadmill and indoor cycling for about 4 months now, it didn't help me lose any weigh ( poor diet as well). I do not have medical insurance to go out and talk to a therapist and I can't afford the redicilous fees for gym around the area I live in( recently moved and cheapest gym membership is $50 a month plus $75 every May for some reason). All I have at home is 2 5 lbs weights, 2 12 lbs, a big exercise ball and a floor. I am 152.4 at the moment, trying to at least lose 10 lbs by August, if possible and get a flat tummy. Can someone please give me any advice or else I'll cry jk..... not really
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Uhhh...I really donno what to tell you other than 130 is not a healthy weight goal. I am about your height/weight and I'm super lean, so maybe it's not your weight that is a problem. It is probably your bodyfat percentage. Try strength training exercises using your own body weight. It's free and you can google exercises like wall squats, push ups, planks, etc. Sounds like you need to reshape your body not drop further muscle by bringing your weight down to an unhealthy level IMHO.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8

I second this. I am roughly around your height (1/2 inch shorter) and weigh exactly the same as you. My original goal was 140lbs but I'm in the process of re-evaluating because I think I only have 3-4bs max of actual fat to lose, and any lower i'd have to get rid of muscle mass.

I'd recommend some kind of free cardio (running / cycling) intervals + weight training / yoga or Pilates. But remember exercise is only 1/2 the deal (if not 10-20%). Sort your diet out too, and eat lots of healthy fats (watch the calories), lean protein, lots of vegetables, reasonable amount of fruit and small portions of wholegrain carbs (more if you are active). You'll be sorted in no time!

Good luck
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #4  

Sounds good guys I will try my best!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #5  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

I think it's possible that your goal weight could be a healthy one, *if* you have a small frame and don't naturally carry a lot of muscle mass. It is not an underweight BMI. I am aiming for a low BMI myself, because I have a small frame and a body fat percentage higher than a lot of other people my weight (partly due to a lifetime of relative inactivity, until this past year, and partly just due to genetics, I think).

So I have been aiming to build muscle if possible, and certainly trying to make sure I lose as much fat and as little muscle as possible. As claire0412 said, diet is important. I count calories, and I aim to eat one gram of protein per pound of body weight per day (this is to prevent muscle loss while dieting); the general recommendation I often see is 0.7-1(+)g protein per pound of body weight per day.

I agree with the recommendations for bodyweight exercises. Pushups and pullups have made a big difference for my upper body, and squats and lunges for my lower body. There's a recent thread with recommendations for bodyweight exercises here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...es-anyone.html

In the Weight & Resistance Training forum here, there's a helpful sticky with resources for people beginning strength training at home:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ning-home.html
See the other stickies, too, they're helpful!

When I started working out a year ago, I was overwhelmed and found it difficult to put together my own strength training routines. So I started with a lot of videos through instant streaming on Netflix. I eventually started putting together my own routines, though at the moment I'm actually doing a video series. So you might want to check out the Fitness Videos forum to see if anything would be helpful for you. Otherwise, keep browsing the forums here. I read a billion threads when I was starting out and picked up a ton of helpful information.

I wish you a happy & healthy journey! Good luck!
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #6  

Sumire- Finally someone that understands!! Haha thanks for your reply. I do some youtube video workouts and also I have a couple of Jillian Michaels DVDs . After reading alot of threads this morning I think my main problem is my diet. I reaaaaally want to lose weight but I can't help myself. Sometimes I would do good the whole week, but on weekends, when I hang out with friends/parents I would overeat and eat very unhealthy. Do you have any advice on how to avoid that without them telling me I'm being "anorexic"? I mean I'm deff not being anorexic I just chose smaller portions and sometimes not hungry at all....But whatever. Anyways, how exactly do u eat that much protein? Would protein powder count?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #7  

It sounds like you may be having some issues with restrict/binge cycles (you limit your food too much during the week and then end up getting out of control and eating too much later). Or maybe you're eating enough during the week, but still feeling out of control on the weekends. I highly, highly recommend checking out the Chicks in Control forum on this board--you'll find other people who struggle with the same issues, and a lot of support:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control-64/

I think that restricting your calories too much is never a good idea. If you are not eating 1200 calories a day, you are not eating enough. Your body will not be getting the nutrition it needs, and you'll be setting yourself up for binges later. And 1200 calories should be considered a rockbottom level. At my current weight, I eat 1500-1600 calories most days, with one day a week at 2000-2500. I don't have any problems avoiding unhealthy foods; I eat enough to satisfy myself, am rarely actually hungry, and eat healthy foods to give my body the nutrition it needs! So do listen to your family/friends; people's ideas of portion size are out of control these days, but it is perfectly possible that you really aren't eating enough. Strive for balance.

Protein powder would count. I briefly used protein powder to help myself get to that protein level, but I wasn't a fan, so I stopped and focused on "real food." I'm a vegetarian and it can be hard to get to that level, but I do it using a lot of non-fat Greek yogurt and seitan, plus eggs, cheese, whole grains, and legumes. Meat eaters have it much easier! You can have lean meats and fish for protein.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #8  

Unhappy

Ok sounds good I will deff check it out asap. Now I'm going to put up a couple of pics of my body so you guys can see what I mean.. This is going to be a little hard for me, I grossed myself out even taking them.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #9  

Ok I guess I need to get to 25 posts BRB
Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Its actually supposed to be 1 gram per every puond of LEAN body mass..........
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #11  

How do you calculate that out? Sorry, but when I say I'm a noob, I mean it haha. I know I want to lose weight, but I have no idea where to start or what I'm doing..

Last edited by pointless2011; 06-08-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #12  

Thanks, mkroyer. I've heard both (1lb/lean mass and 1lb/body weight), and never know what to believe with so much conflicting info.

Pointless2011- My understanding is that the most accurate method for calculating LBM is a DEXA scan, followed by hydrostatic weighing and BodPod, followed by caliper testing (by someone experienced), followed by bioelectrical impedance (body fat scales, etc).

You can also estimate your lean body mass using the Navy calculation method. I have used this calculator here:
http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculat...=Body-Fat-Navy
It is supposed to be pretty accurate for most people. It is probably more useful for tracking changes in your body composition over time (as you lose weight).

As for your picture, I'd stop and take a deep breath. You have a perfectly normal (probably apple-shaped) female body. Some strength training, cardio, and a healthy diet can do wonders. Do your best to love your body--it was hard for me, too, at 19--and work toward your long-term health.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #13  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I would strongly recommend increasing your protein. Yes, I am aware that we all have varying degrees of muscle mass. However, you CAN change that with maybe a lil' tweek in your diet macros and calories and you will see amazing results rather quickly (as you are young).

Also, from your pic, it seems as though you have a weak core (posture indicates that to me). You may want to focus on core exercises such as planks, pull ups, etc. That will drastically reduce the appearance of the "belly pot"! You'd be surprised what strengthening your BACK can do for your tummy! I'm really NOT seeing alot of tummy fat..honestly.

I think maybe if you post your diet (which is 99% part of fat loss IMHO), you can get more specific help and suggestions.

The link sumire posted about bodyweight exercises is an excellent one. Bodyweight exercises IMHO, give you the most dramatic and fastest results.

All the best.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 06-08-2011 at 01:57 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #14  

(Btw, joyfulloser, I'm impressed with the new pic of your super-hot arms. )
Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #15  

sumire thanks I calculated this but not sure what it means lol i got

joyfulloser you made me ::blush:: lol. There is a lot of tummy fat and you are right about my posture. I will deff try bodyweight exercise thnx again