Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Default Take Shape for Life program vs. regular medifast- your opinion!

What do you guys think about TSFL vs just ordering medifast through the main site? I know with regular medifast you get support and whatnot, do you get access to the same site with TSFL? A better site? Is it better to have a coach or just use medifast's site?

Is anyone partial to any one way? I want some more info before I order.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #2  

Also I know nobody is allowed to solicit themselves as being a health coach, but it's my understanding that to be a health coach, you have to have one, so you could still answer my question. I'm not looking for solicitations and I don't wanna get in trouble, lol, I just would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of TSFL vs medifast.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/178/150

I've never used TSFL or any health coach, so I can't compare and contrast them. If the support involves meetings or a physical facility for weigh-ins, I'll never make it there, and it would be a waste of the extra money. If the support is primarily online, then I'm not sure I see what the difference is with using the main MF support boards or here.

I'm doing MF with my wife, so maybe we're our own support. But that mostly consists of knowing someone else is going through it (and one of us not eating tempting meals while the other can't.)

Cost is a big factor. Paying for two people on the plan simultaneously is effectively an extra car payment. I was willing to let her go to a center or get a coach, because she felt she needed it, but she decided to start only with using the MF site for food and never did get the coach (ultimately decided the plan was good as is and no coach was required.)

The advantage of going to the MF site is that it is probably cheaper. I use coupons each month for additional discounts. (People tell me they changed that policy, but somehow coupons still work for me. YMMV.)

Last edited by Sequi 2008; 06-03-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #4  

Hey- thanks for your answer!

I've looked at the TSFL website, and the product costs are exactly the same. The only difference would be that the coach earns money from your purchases, but my costs wouldn't be inflated- everything is still 16.50/box or whatever. They also have this "Be Slim Club" thing where you earn one point per dollar that you spend, and you rack up discounts. After 7 orders, you get a 10% discount. You get a 5% discount on the 1st-6th orders, plus you still get the two weeks of free food, and you earn those points. I think you redeem them for free merch, but I can't find info on exactly what you can redeem them for.

It SEEMS like with TSFL, you get a lot more for your money. I BELIEVE the coupons are also still valid, too. And everywhere on the site it says "Ask your coach for discounts!" The heath coach just directs you through the program, can do your orders for you, exchange products you don't like, etc.- and I BELIEVE you still get access to the MF forums/boards for online support, but it may just be a TSFL-only site. Plus, you can later become a coach yourself. You make something like a 15-20% commission on your client's orders, with big bonuses for new clients and whatnot.

I've been reading all I can, I just wish someone knew the pros and cons! I feel like TSFL sounds like a better option than the regular site... unless it's a pyramid scam. lol.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I ordered foods through a TSFL coach, but I didn't sign up for any coaching services. However, the coach did send me encouraging emails and links to educational articles and videos, so that was good. Other than that, it looks about the same. The B Slimb things are nice, but I didn't want to have a standing order, so I passed on that.

Jay
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #6  

So you have to sign up for a coach, you mean? You're saying you just ordered through TSFL with no attachment to a coach, right? Having a coach is free, though?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

A friend who was using Medifast gave me their coach's web address. I ordered through that address and emailed the coach that I got their "number" from my friend. As a result, my friend got a $25 credit.

I can't answer your questions about the cost of coaching sessions because I had to stop using the Medifast foods due to a food intolerance. So I'm trying to make up my own Medifast substitutes.

I think the websites should be able to tell you what you want to know about prices for services. Or you could email TSFL and ask that way.

If you need to return foods, you do it through the main Medifast phone number anyway.

It all depends on what level of services you want.

Jay
Old 06-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #8  

Ahhh, just checked the site again, it is free for a coach. I think only the meeting places cost money to have sessions.

And what I meant by trading was, that with MF, I read somewhere that you can only exchange 1 box per shipment, but if you have a coach, you can exchange food with other clients they may have with unwanted food that you like, bypassing MF's system.

Sorry to hear about your intolerance! I'm anxious to start the program, I've read just about every possible bit of material on it, I just don't have the $300 to get the food. Wish there was an easy way to earn money quick! lol. I suppose that's what everyone wishes...
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Never heard of TSFL and frankly one of the reasons I chose Medifast was because I DID'T HAVE to have any kind of counseling or coaching. I know what I need to do, I don't need someone I have to report to every week. That's why I didn't sign up for Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem. I've done this before and I can do it again. Don't make me REPORT to someone. I report to myself, thank you very much....

Sorry if that sounded like too much of a rant...

Last edited by alinnell; 06-04-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #10  

Um, I was just asking what was better? I wasn't trying to sales pitch anyone, I'm not even a coach, I just read all the materials and did my homework to learn of the main differences between the two ways of doing the program. Also- it's just different strokes for different folks- I may need the coaching, even if you do not. I'm more interested in the extra discounts, anyway. And if I'm successful at Medifast and my friends and family want to try it as well, why not make a little money if it's no extra cost to them? (If I even get that far)

I was trying to see this as a long term way of me sticking to the program. I doubt the coaches call you every day or week or whatever, they're probably just there when you need them, or you can tell them to buzz off, I don't know. That's why I was ASKING about the program. Because I only know what's on paper easily and readily available online- not how the program itself actually works. I just want to make an informed decision for myself.

And I don't see what your small business has to do with anything. Yeah, you're independent, you don't need help, but perhaps I do. And perhaps I like extra discounts. You didn't have to answer my post, especially since you know nothing about TSFL and that's the information I was asking for.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

OK--I think alinnell was just voicing her opinion. But aside from that, what do you think you'll do, totalconfusion87?

Actually, you can order through a TSFL site and do it on your own just as much as doing it through the Medifast site, so it can be whatever you want. I ordered that way just to help my friend.

You may find that your food costs don't really go up that much. All you'll really need to pay for are a few allowed condiments and snacks (like celery) and your lean & green meal once a day. All the rest of your meals for two weeks are already paid for.

Jay
Old 06-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #12  

Haha, thanks Jay. Just felt a little like I was being yelled at for sounding like a salesperson when all I was trying to do was make an informed decision. Me no likey conflict :P

I'm gonna sign up with TSFL and see what happens. I'm trying to get as many discounts as possible, so the coach I get may be able to help me with that. My only fear is that I tend to feel bad/guilty/what have you about normal things people don't, so if I don't like my coach, I probably won't switch to avoid conflict, and I might end up hating it... etc. I know that's like "worst case" scenario, but if you knew my bad luck streak... you'd understand why that's a concern, lol.

Mostly the problem is coming up with the money up front, I usually spend 50-60 bucks on groceries every other week or so, and I work at applebee's so I spend quite a bit out (we get a 50% discount on food so it's not THAT much but it's more than the average person, I'd say). Plus I spend 40 a month on WW, but I'm not sure if I can cover that gap. It may seem like so little, but my budget is super tight. 160/mo to 250 or more? Seems like a lot to me.

SIGH!! I really want to do this. I've even started making and selling some stuff on the side to get some extra income on etsy, but that's been a bomb so far. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I picked up a few extra shifts, so we'll see!

And EWW celery! I'd never spend my hard earned money on that :P
Old 06-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Ummm... You could give up paying for WW? Totally different programs!

Fortunately for me, I love celery! It's one of my favorite things.

I think you're "overthinking" this, total. Do or do not--but don't get bogged down in choices.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 06-04-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalconfusion87 View Post
Haha, thanks Jay. Just felt a little like I was being yelled at for sounding like a salesperson when all I was trying to do was make an informed decision. Me no likey conflict :P
Sorry, I didn't mean to yell. I really did think you were trying to get us to change and to use a coach. Again, sorry.

That said, if you can save up to buy a larger purchase, you'd probably save more as shipping tends to be kind of expensive. I don't know if this program has the same coupons as Medifast, but since I've been ordering a month's worth of food for two people each time, I do save with the largest coupon. My next order, however, is only going to be the bars. I think 8 weeks on the program will be sufficient to get me and DH really close to goal and then I'll take it from there with our own food.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #15  

Jay- I added the 40 from WW in, silly! I already cancelled the autopayment. And it's actually a huge concern because I have about a grand of student loans each month, and I'm only on unemployment and applebee's. If I lose just one shift a week, I'd be short for gas costs, etc. That's why I'm so concerned! I usually just rush into things and don't think about it and end up with 500 in student loans due in two days and no money! Trying to be a responsible adult, here :P PS- I contacted TSFL, we'll see what she can do for me!

Allison- Thanks. Sorry if it seemed like my response was an over reaction, I was just like- WHAAA??? And I didn't have my coffee yet, lol. I'm making some more stuff to sell on etsy today, hopefully I can get this stuff going so I have some money! I'm being super thrifty for now! How much is shipping, usually? They seriously don't have free shipping even though it's like $300 worth of product a month??
Closed Thread