Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 12:13 PM   #1  

Angry Excercise Suggestions Appreciated

I was wondering if any of you wonderfull people here have any suggestions for me as far as excercise videos go.

I plan to start walking, but I would like to do something at home as well. I have a bad knee...(have since I was little and skinny) so, I kinda have to watch that a bit. I was told not to do regular Aerobics by my doc, because it is too hard on my knee, but I have to do something. I want to do water aerobics, but at his time, the fees to join would kill me.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 01-07-2003, 06:08 PM   #2  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Mmmmmmmmmmm!

I would suggest that you do some resistance work - work with weights or resistance bands. That way you could increase you strength, flexibility, general health and fitness levels AND increase your metabolism.

Hang on a bit whilst I track down my seated and standing resistance worksheets. I have changed computers recently and lots of my client info sheets haven't made the move well. I am strggling to keep up with the necessary translation!

I think I know of a couple of websites with good piccies too! This way you can work out at home with a minimum of equipment (a couple of cans of beans or a clever piece of elastic that costs a couple of dollars).

Back soon, Stef
Old 01-08-2003, 07:19 PM   #3  

Talking Thank You

Stef....
Thank you for the suggestions. I really appreciate it, and am looking forward to hearing more from you.

Monique....
Thanks to you as well. I have seen other people talk about that Leslie Sanson video on here. Where in the world do I find it though?? How much do they run???

**SMILES**

Old 01-09-2003, 07:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Just thought I would help you with an exercise specifically to help strengthen your knee...sit in a kitchen type firm chair. Straighten one leg with the knee facing the celing, and do small lifts with it. Repeat with the other leg. Repeat again, this time with the knee facing the outside a bit-or your inner knee area facing the ceiling now. This strengthens your quadriceps (front thighs) as well.
Aphil
Old 01-09-2003, 08:39 AM   #5  

I agree with the others on resistance -- I had knee pain, too, and while I still have some it's not near as bad as before I started lifting weights (and believe it or not, getting a new mattress helped as well!)

Along with building up those leg muscles, which will help your knees, strengthening your upper body will, among other things, boost your metabolism.

Pen
265/220/150ish
Old 01-09-2003, 10:27 AM   #6  

Angry Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I have excuse the spelling..not sure if it is rite....seen it many times, you think I would learn to spell it... anyways. I have Patello Femeral Syndrome. It has to do with the muscles etc, that goes from my hip to my knee. There is a leg lift I have been doing for quite a few years now that invloves slightly turning my foot out, and a small lift. It is sposed to help strengthen my knee. From what I understand I am always going to have some knee pain...thin or fluffy. I had it when I was young and thin too. I am going to try that other leg lift you guys talked about. Thanks again. I really do appreciate everyone's suggestions. I love how people on t his sight are so helpfull.
Good thoughts for you all.
**SMILES**
Old 01-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #7  

Hey Monique.....
Bought the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds video. Foudn them @ Target. Just bought the first video, but will be going back for the 2nd sometime soon. Also bought 2, two pound weights. Love the video...thanks so much for the suggestions.
Happy thoughts for you!!
**SMILES**
Old 01-15-2003, 07:58 AM   #8  

So sorry about your condition -- that's got to be really frustrating! I've known a couple of people with knee problems -- both of them have had surgery and have continued to have problems with their knees all the time. Sometimes I feel like I'll always have pain in my knees, even when I'm thinner and even if the pain gets better.

Perhaps a physical therapist could make some other suggestions to you.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:44 AM   #9  
Hanging in There

Lightbulb Fluffy Gal! :wave:

I have the same problem! You're close on the spelling: it's patello-femoral syndrome. I have no idea what causes it, but I do know that climbing a lot stairs doesn't do it a bit of good. I find walking to be helpful as long as it doesn't involve a lot of climbing. I also do weight resistance with barbells--doesn't involve the knees I also try to do leg/arm stretches for flexibility.
Closed Thread