Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Give up my diet pop???

Okay so i drink Diet Crush Cream Soda..

It has 0 carbs 0fats 0sugars 0calories and its made with splenda only...

Can i still drink it??? Or do i have to give it up???
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I don't know anything about how diet soda impacts the IP rules, but I HIGHLY recommend giving it up. I was a hard-core diet soda drinker for years... I stopped last August. Now, I can't stand the taste of the chemicals or the consistency of the bubbles. It's made a huge difference for me because I drank it in place of water. I drink a ton of water now without really trying. That's one big issue. Another issue is just avoiding the chemicals. AND I know some people think that the false sweetness encourages them to eat other sweet things -- makes it difficult to stay on track. For me, cutting it out was one of the big things that helped me lose. If nothing else, it was a indicator that I was completely changing my eating habits. I suppose if you're just drinking one a day (or less) as a treat/dessert sort of thing, then it's not such a big deal. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Jen516; 05-31-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #3  
banned

I was just about to post the same question!

My coach gave me a hand out that said no soda!, but diet soda seems to follow the '0 carb 0 fat and 0 sugar' guideline.

Also, another related question. Is crystal light permitted?
3FCuser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

If you received a sheet that says no soda I would follow your coaches guidelines, I did not receive one and have on occasion had diet soda. I also drink crystal light but recommend the ones sweetened with splenda.
Bretley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #5  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I just use diet pop when I feel like I REALLY want to cheat. That way it seems like a special treat. A case of 12 lasts me a couple months... Unless Brandon gets into them!
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #6  
started IP Oct. 15, 2010

S/C/G: 286.5/168/??

My handout says no soda regular or diet.
ShannaSchueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/212/160

Height: 5'7

My coach said no soda, diet or regular....no crystal light either because it is made with the same stuff as in diet soda. Bad stuff. Moderation is the key to everything. I think if you just limit it to once in a while treat you will be fine after you are in phase 4.
cesteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesteacher View Post
My coach said no soda, diet or regular....no crystal light either because it is made with the same stuff as in diet soda. Bad stuff. Moderation is the key to everything. I think if you just limit it to once in a while treat you will be fine after you are in phase 4.
The "bad stuff" in diet soda (from what I hear from others) is the carbonation and aspartame. I don't believe there is anything in the splenda Crystal Light that we are not allowed.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretley View Post
The "bad stuff" in diet soda (from what I hear from others) is the carbonation and aspartame. I don't believe there is anything in the splenda Crystal Light that we are not allowed.
Yes the bad stuff is the aspartame and crystal light has aspartame in it as well. I have never seen the splenda crystal light, where do you find it?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 PM   #10  

Have you noticed any difference on the scale or otherwise when you drink that occasional diet pepsi?

Last edited by cesteacher; 05-31-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I've never seen Crystal Light brand sweetened with Splenda (although they do have one sweetened with Stevia), but I have found other brands (they're usually on the same shelf), you just have to read the labels.

Another alternative is to use unsweetend drink mixes like unsweetened Kool-Aid (or other natural or imitation flavorings) and add your own Splenda. Granulated Splenda does contain maltodextrin or dextrose as a filler which means traces of carbohydrate (which can add up), but if you use liquid Splenda there are no carbs.

I've not yet found liquid Splenda anywhere but online, but I do plan on ordering some so I can avoid the dextrose (and in the long run save money).

For flavorings I use extracts and candymaking oils. The candymaking oils (LorAnn Gourmet oils) are so concentrated that a toothpick dipped in the oil and then your beverage will flavor a whole glass.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

I buy club soda and mix with Torani sugar free syrup which is made with splenda. Very refreshing and I feel like I'm getting a treat.
Losingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #13  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

Let's put this in perspective... IP drinks have the same "bad stuff" that diet drinks have. Take IP Lemonade for example:

"Whey proteins isolate (derived from milk), citric acid, malic acid, natural flavour, acesulfame potassium (52 mg / pouch), colour, sucralose (35 mg / pouch), silicone dioxide"

I can't find the ingredient list for Crush Cream Soda, but I know Diet Rite doesn't use aspartame so here are the ingredients for the Tangerine flavor:

"Carbonated water, citric acid, potassium benzoate, gum acacia, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, natural and artificial flavors, ester gum, yellow 6"

See any similarities? If you're trying to avoid chemicals, you better avoid IP too.

Last edited by wurdnerd; 06-01-2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: formatting
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurdnerd View Post
Let's put this in perspective... IP drinks have the same "bad stuff" that diet drinks have. Take IP Lemonade for example:

"Whey proteins isolate (derived from milk), citric acid, malic acid, natural flavour, acesulfame potassium (52 mg / pouch), colour, sucralose (35 mg / pouch), silicone dioxide"

I can't find the ingredient list for Crush Cream Soda, but I know Diet Rite doesn't use aspartame so here are the ingredients for the Tangerine flavor:

"Carbonated water, citric acid, potassium benzoate, gum acacia, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, natural and artificial flavors, ester gum, yellow 6"

See any similarities? If you're trying to avoid chemicals, you better avoid IP too.
Agreed. The only thing that could possible be an issue is the carbonation but I fail to see how carbonated water is a problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretley View Post
Agreed. The only thing that could possible be an issue is the carbonation but I fail to see how carbonated water is a problem.
Carbonated water is carbonic acid....and can make our bodies acidic on the pH levels. We want the pH balanced, I'm sure a pop here and there won't matter. But since I've been told that and done the research pop is just another thing I need to have in moderation after this diet. I drink WAY more water/herbal tea when I'm not drinking pop.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote