Old 05-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #1  

Default Exercise on IP???

I recently started IP (10 days ago) and would love to go swimming today. I was told to refrain from exercise. Why??? Also, is there any substitution for Crystal Light that is IP friendly?? I am tired of plain water and would like a treat like Crystal Light.
msbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #2  
OneBadGRANDmotherRunner

S/C/G: 152/143/120

Height: 5'

The theory I believe is that when you start this very low calorie program there is the expectation that:

1. You may be too tired to do much exercise (this lasted about a day or two for me) and
2.) More importantly there is the concern that your body could go into starvation mode (slow or stall weight/fat loss and/or burn muscle instead of fat) if you are doing too much STRENUOUS exercise and not taking in enough (good) calories/protein. I emphasize strenuous because I don't think walking 30 min. a day would constitute strenuous. Think cardio workouts or anything that increases the heart rate as strenuous. Or in my case longer distance runs.

I started training for my Half Marathon about 6-7 weeks into the program. I eat an additional bar and/or ready drink on my long run days (10+ miles) and that has served me well.

Talk to your Clinic about this Athletic Protocol.

And also talk to them about a flavor enhancer for water--my clinic now sells a product like that.

Good luck!
NonieRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

For the flavor enhancer - I like MIO - I have the peach mango and fruit punch. They are super portable and easy to use!
Perpetualdiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/189/145

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbrau View Post
I recently started IP (10 days ago) and would love to go swimming today. I was told to refrain from exercise. Why??? Also, is there any substitution for Crystal Light that is IP friendly?? I am tired of plain water and would like a treat like Crystal Light.
According to the FAQ, Crystal Light is okay, although my coach has stressed that I try to only drink beverages sweetened with stevia or splenda/sucralose and/or Ace K. More importantly, the phosphoric acid in darker sodas is what IP deems "bad" for you. With the sugar substitutes, I think the effects vary from person to person. You will find people on this forum who have had diet soda every day and have had no problems. I have switched to Diet Rite tangerine soda (splenda sweetened and no phosphoric acid) for a treat, and otherwise stick with plain water, water with True Lemon, or flavored seltzers. Also, check out the new Mio water flavors by Kraft Foods! I hear they are great, and they are OP. (On protocol.)

http://www.ihpweightloss.com/Ideal_Protein_FAQs.pdf
katiebeth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 243.6/196.4/165

Height: 5'5"

Days 1-3 I was very tired. Going for even a walk seemed like a huge task. I am on day 8 today. I went for a 3 mile walk on days 6 nd 7 and have never felt better.
murleya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 243.6/196.4/165

Height: 5'5"

My coach said to limit it the first 3-4 days. And depending on how I feel I can do more after that.
murleya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #7  
Started IP: 5/14/11

Taken from the Ideal Protein FAQ:

Quote:
4. Why is exercise NOT recommended during the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method?
Dieters on the protocol are on a very low caloric diet, yet their body is actually
"getting more calories" then they were prior to starting our protocol. Why? Because
they are burning (using their fat stores) fat. They are getting about 900 Kcals per
day from the foods they are eating (on Phase 1) but if they lose 4 lbs per week (on
average) 4 x 3500 Kcal/lb of fat means 14,000 Kcal/week, divide by 7 equals 2000
Kcals per day. They are actually consuming 900 Kcal + 2000 Kcals = 2900Kcals per
day. Understand their bodies must make the necessary enzymes to fully burn the
ketonic bodies that are produced from fat metabolism (beta oxidation). It takes
about two weeks for this to happen. During the first 3 weeks, your body is getting
the necessary "enzymatic machinery" in place so it can use 100% of the ketonic
bodies (for cellular fuel) your body is producing from burning the fat. In the first
couple of weeks, it cannot use all of them and you breath them out (acetone breath),
"pee them out" (ketostix turn purple when you dip them in your urine) or you
excrete excess ketones in your feces.
If your blood sugar gets too low during this time period, the proteins we supply and
the muscle you have can undergo gluconeogenesis and glucose can be produced.
If you increase the glucose demand (i.e. exercise vigorously during these first
3 weeks) you will increase gluconeogensis markedly. This CAN result in muscle loss,
SOMETHING WE WANT TO AVOID!!!! If you MUST exercise during the first 3 weeks,
please do it lightly, (1/3 to 1/2 your normal intensity) or not at all. Here's the
beauty of the program: During this period...you literally are "peeing out calories"
without having to exercise!!! You will lose the same amount of weight, but will not
risk losing muscle. This is not about calories in - calories out, it's about hormones
and metabolism. They were fighting a hormone (Insulin) before and you can't
exercise your way out of that, the hormone always wins. After the first 3 weeks, you
may exercise, but please keep in mind:
· Do not get overly tired
· Supplements are a must! (serious cardiac problems
can result; arrythmias, tachycardia, etc)
· Keep well hydrated, if exercising you must increase your
water

Last edited by Dan is Boring; 05-31-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Dan is Boring is offline   Reply With Quote