Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/157/130

Height: 5'4

Default Excersise - Help or Hinder?

I'm doing the c25k training and I'm up to 10s & 1s (running 10mins walking 1) I didn't do any running last week as I wasn't feeling well and I figured my body would need to adjust to the change in diet as well as fighting whatever bug I had. Anyway, I wanted to start back on my running schedule but reading through all the IP phases and information it says exersise isn't recommened.....

So will running/exercising hinder my weight loss or will it help it?
Babyblues4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #2  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblues4 View Post
I'm doing the c25k training and I'm up to 10s & 1s (running 10mins walking 1) I didn't do any running last week as I wasn't feeling well and I figured my body would need to adjust to the change in diet as well as fighting whatever bug I had. Anyway, I wanted to start back on my running schedule but reading through all the IP phases and information it says exersise isn't recommened.....

Is running exercise? Is exercise not recommended? If you answered yes to these two questions then the answer to your question is also yes. Please read the exercise thread.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #3  
Maintenance since 8/2/10

S/C/G: 173/130/130

Height: 4'11"

My coach told me that if my body was already used to the workout/exercise regimen, that it was ok to continue,but to eat right after (or add in an extra protein packet).
cajunladybug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #4  
Vanessa

Our IP clinic is actually based out of the gym where I work out. They encourage you to keep up with whatever exercise you're already doing if that's what you're used to. I am doing the IP program in addition to a sports conditioning class at the gym twice a week. When I asked about the workouts hidering weight loss... this is what my coach answered:

"Is your objective simply to lose weight, or is to be healthier? If you only want to lose weight quickly, then don't exercise. The loss may be a little (not a lot) slower - but you're getting healthier at the same time. The reason that the weight loss seems slower, is that when you're exercising, you're building muscle, which is heavier than fat. So, while you're losing fat doing IP, you are building healthy muscle while exercising."

MY goal is to be healthier. I want to be a better example to my kids. i want to show them that a healthy lifestyle includes exercise, a healthy diet, and taking care of yourself. Talk to your coach to see what they have to say, but what my coach told me makes sense to me.
bahecasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #5  
Elissa

S/C/G: 191/145/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblues4 View Post

My coach has also told me that I can continue to exercise. She did say that during the first week or two on the program that I should cut back to 1/3 of my typical routine and try to keep my heart rate at or below 70%. Week 1 I lost 10lbs, week 2 I lost 4 lbs - I'm not really sure that it's hurting my weight loss... I also run 10 and 1's (only 4 sets a couple of times per week) and attend bootcamp 3x per week
LaLibE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I exercise 6 days a week. Took it easier week 1, but full out since. Now that I have lost some weight I look much better as I have kept my muscle tone.

If it feels good then do it. If you feel poorly then reconsider.

The original diet was developed for athletes. Do you really believe they stopped exercising?.

That said-only do it if is already part of your routine. I wouldn't go on phase 1 and start vigorous exercise at the same time.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Someone is training for half marathons in my clinic. She was told to eat half a protein bar before training and the other after. Apparently so she doesn't loose muscle instead of fat. I was encouraged to exercise...definitely won't be training for a marathon though.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #8  
OneBadGRANDmotherRunner

S/C/G: 152/143/120

Height: 5'

I agree with all of the comments confirming the need and importance for excercise along with the IP program.

IP is not a magic pill and on that note I would like to add that I also firmly believe that without exercise we will never be able to maintain the great losses we have all worked so hard to achieve.

Great Job Everyone on the Exercise & Being Healthier mentality! You Rock!
NonieRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/158/138

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonieRuns View Post
I agree with all of the comments confirming the need and importance for excercise along with the IP program.

IP is not a magic pill and on that note I would like to add that I also firmly believe that without exercise we will never be able to maintain the great losses we have all worked so hard to achieve.

Great Job Everyone on the Exercise & Being Healthier mentality! You Rock!
Agreed! I am glad we are all on board to be healthier. I exercised the whole time and had 1 extra packet on days that I exercised, directly after the exercise. It helped me this time around! Last year when I did IP (first time on IP) I walked a lot but didn't add the extra packet. This time I lost much faster. I think that the extra packet was the trick!

I saw a good quote today:

If you don't take care of your body, where will you live?

NonieRuns, I noticed in your signature that your next goal is "Fit BMI". What exactly does that mean? I see "Normal" as a BMI range, but not "Fit". If there is something separate, I'd like to know about it! Please share.
CinnamonSparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #10  

If you can free yourself from going only by the number on the scale & pay more attention to how your body is shrinking, I think you can probably continue to exercise as you were before IP... but, if you can't experience what I did this morning without freaking out, maybe exercise is best left 'til later... I've exercised from the very beginning, & pretty intensely too, but I was already doing that before IP... I never stepped on the scales the first several months (I didn't have a coach to tell me to), but my measurements & my clothing sizes just kept dropping off... anyway, back to what happened this morning... I stepped on the scales & I was up a half lb... not to worry, though... I lifted weights yesterday & I've discovered that the day after I do resistance training (Group Power at the gym), I'm usually up to a lb. heavier than the morning before... due, I believe, to muscle's tendency to retain water to aid in the healing process after lifting weights... I'm confident tomorrow will show that half lb. gone, plus maybe even more...

All that said, check with your coach before you make your final decision...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #11  
Vanessa

Babyblues, where in Ontario are you? I'm near Ottawa... Have been trying to do the c25k program myself, but never seem to get past week 3.
I hope that you come back, after the initial response that was left for you.
bahecasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #12  

bahecasmart I'm in Milton, just outside of Toronto. My dh is from ottawa and we visit his sister and Mom there often.

I've been wanting to get back out and run, I was just worried that I would pass out or be lightheaded during my run, with the little calories, and carb! I was also worried about going into starvation mode.

I may try having half a pack before and the other after my run.

Thanks for the advice ladies! I really enjoy exercising and I wanted to stick with it
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #13  
Newby!!

My coach told me not to exercise when I first started, but now, he says it is ok, as long as I eat 4 packets a day. I HAVE noticed I'm hungrier now, and munching is/was a habit I really needed to cut. I am going to keep exercizing though! I feel so good!!
Grmekor78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #14  
IP with alternatives

S/C/G: 202/Ticker/140

Height: 5.4

If I don't exercise, then I don't lose. In the past 20 weeks if I exercise then I lose and average of 2.5 lbs, when I don't it's around 1lbs.
I do 30 min of excercise everyday, weather it's strength training or cardio. I never go at my maximum resistance or failure.
I eat 3 packs a day, one right after my workout. I aslo eat a restricted everyday.
JCWilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #15  

Do you eat 3 packets PLUS a restricted or 3 packets Including a restricted?