Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Need a little help right now

So, I've been at this diet/exercise thing since early December, and I've had a lot of success, even though it's been quite a bit of work. I've shed over 30 lbs, gotten in shape, and look SO much better than I used to. Here's my dilemma...

Recently, I've come home from college to spend some time taking care of a few things I need to do before the next semester. It's already been two weeks, and although I have not binged/gone completely off plan, I've definitely slipped in a few key ways.

-I used to eat around 1250-1300 a day, maybe a bit more when I exercised. Now, I find myself creeping closer to 1400 every day, and I don't really seem to be losing weight anymore, just maintaining.
-My activity is much lower at home. I don't have to walk back and forth across campus, so my only real exercise other than when I go out somewhere is walking to the gym/my workout.
-Snacking much more frequently.

I had planned to really work and shed another 10-15 lbs this summer. I -really- want to, and yet I feel I've gotten complacent, even though I'm far from pleased with how I look. I do not want to spend the whole summer at maintenance, and yet I seem to be starting over every day with hopes of keeping my cals at 1200, and yet I always fail.

For the record, I do not believe that 1200 or even 1250 is too low for me. See, I am never -hungry- when I eat over my limit. It's mental hunger, boredom, and compulsive snacking. I really just need a mental kick in the butt, or some ideas as to how to get myself back on track before the whole summer passes me by.
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #2  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

You might find the books by Judith Beck very helpful. Based on what I've learned from her books, I would tackle your problems by:
1. planning what I ate the morning or evening before I ate it, including appropriate snacks, and sticking to the plan
2. make a list of distracting activities other than eating to combat the non-hunger reasons for eating

Also, if you're bored, couldn't you find some more exercise that you would enjoy? Throwing on some music and dancing is good exercise, mood elevating, and a great distraction.

If you read and like the Beck books (try them from the library), please join the group here on 3FC that works with them every day.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #3  
Learning to be the new me

S/C/G: 214/200/?

Height: 5' 8

Do you like dogs ? can you get access to one? They are great because they don't mind the exercise and they don't criticize , you can talk all you want , its like therapy and they are happy to be with you. And if you need the motivation as i did it was worth a try.
openup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #4  
Learning to be the new me

S/C/G: 214/200/?

Height: 5' 8

You can try an audio book on the go. Keeps your mind entertained and busy while your body keeps going. I always have one on my Ipod with the music.
openup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by openup View Post
You can try an audio book on the go. Keeps your mind entertained and busy while your body keeps going. I always have one on my Ipod with the music.
That's actually a great idea. I might see what I can find on audible and at least get to walking around the neighborhood during the day.
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #6  
Working hard

S/C/G: 280/272/250

Height: 5'5"

I unfortunately don't feel like I have much advice to give because I am having the hardest time keeping motivated myself, but the progress you have made is awesome! And the suggestions above are all really great! I have found making everything planned out for the day really helps to keep on track...my only problem is when life steps in with little fun things to interrupt those plans, but for the most part when I lost 30lbs before I am where I am now, that was only thing that kept me going, was making sure I had it planned and structured and kept myself busy busy busy. Even if it was cleaning the house, just anything to keep me from sitting on the couch. Good luck and keep us posted
jenfett is offline   Reply With Quote