Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #1  

Question Still not in Ketosis!!!

Hello all! I've been doing the IP program for 9 days now and am still not in Ketosis. I've tested to see if I am using the Ketostix from the RX store and the strips show a trace amount - the color is almost "clear" on the sticks. I've tested several different times throughout the day and several different ways (i.e. dipping it in sample, placing directly in stream, etc.) and they all show "trace" for the results.
Shouldn't I be in Ketosis already?
My weight loss for the first week was over 14 pounds, but so far this week, no weight change.
I know that Ketosis is a key figure in the success of this program.
Any ideas from you all out there??
Thank you so much!
AWeighIGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #2  
IP Start Date: 2-18-11

S/C/G: 130/104/110 PH 3

Height: 5'0" Age: 46 (But I'm 29 in my heart & soul)

Hi!

I have news for ya. If you lost 14 pounds the first week, your in Ketosis!
If you stay on plan and not cheat you will stay in ketosis. Don't worry about strips, trust the plan, you must have faith in it.

Even if it's a trace, that means Ketosis. Dont worry about the color of the strip because if your dehydrated, it will show up darker. Keep drinking all your water and getting all your veggies and salad in. You'll be just fine
Coloradodivegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152.2/117.6/128

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeighIGo View Post
Hello all! I've been doing the IP program for 9 days now and am still not in Ketosis. I've tested to see if I am using the Ketostix from the RX store and the strips show a trace amount - the color is almost "clear" on the sticks. I've tested several different times throughout the day and several different ways (i.e. dipping it in sample, placing directly in stream, etc.) and they all show "trace" for the results.
My weight loss for the first week was over 14 pounds, but so far this week, no weight change.
Thank you so much!

Don't sweat the ketostix. If you are getting the proper amount of water in, you should only show a trace amount or even none. If they ever get purple, you are def not getting your water in. Follow the plan and no more then 1 restricted a day, you will be in ketosis!
TWoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #4  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

If you are properly hydrated you should only show trace....more could be a sign of dehydration. You are fine
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #5  

Default Thank you!

Ok - thank you everyone! I drink 3-4 liters (yes LITERS!) of water per day, get my 4 cups of veggies, plus lettuce, all my vitamins plus some more and only have 1 restricted pak a day if that. I've been very excited to be on the IP program, but a little discouraged that my weight hasn't gone anywhere this week so far.
Could it be possible that even though I may be in Ketosis that my weight could stall out this week?
Sorry for all the questions - I just want to make sure I'm on the right track!
Thanks again!
AWeighIGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Ketosis or not makes no difference. A caloric deficit is what determines fat loss. Don't bother with ketosis sticks.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 231/145.2/145.2

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Ok - thank you everyone! I drink 3-4 liters (yes LITERS!) of water per day, get my 4 cups of veggies, plus lettuce, all my vitamins plus some more and only have 1 restricted pak a day if that. I've been very excited to be on the IP program, but a little discouraged that my weight hasn't gone anywhere this week so far.
Could it be possible that even though I may be in Ketosis that my weight could stall out this week?
Sorry for all the questions - I just want to make sure I'm on the right track!
Thanks again!
Don't overthink it.

I found that in a given week, my weight would be EXACTLY the same for 5 straight days - and then one day I'd drop two pounds, and then the next day, I'd drop another pound. And then it would stay EXACTLY the same for another five days....

Give it time, don't make yourself crazy. It will work. :-)
Lisaf373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 224.4/219.0/150

Height: 5 ft 4

Quote:
Thank you so much!

When I first got my ketoskix I tried all different times to use them, If you test when you get up your morning PP lol shows trace, if you get up like at 3 am you might show nothing because your drinking the right amount of water. Plus if you exercise you also loose some of the keytones that way too. I have never showed more then trace, but from reading from the experienced girls here, heavy traces means you need more water, your dehydrated.
locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #9  
Newby!!

Aweighigo!!! I love that name! I have been on the diet for 4 and 1/2 months and have NEVER checked my ketosis. I'm still losing, don't worry!!

Love---Your SIS!!!
Grmekor78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/159/145 Started April 13

You might want to research how much water you should be drinking. 4 liters sounds like a lot. My dr told me that it is possible to have too much, messes up electrolytes or something (I used to drink lots too). Just a thought... Or, you could wait to hear from johnp, he seems to know thing that even most scientists will admit we are still learning
ZM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 236/202/150

I did the atkins and found myself to be in ketosis much faster than with the IP diet and I think the other girls are right.... there is such an emphasis on water intake while on IP and not necessarily so on the other diets that the ketostix are getting a watered down version of PP..lol... So, it's a good thing that you only have trace amounts
greenlillybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #12  

LOL
Ketosis is like pregnancy. You either ARE or you AREN'T. There isn't MORE or LESS ketosis. If you've been on the program this long with no carb cheats & have lost weight that fast, you're ON.
If you show even a trace of color on a ketostick, you're in ketosis

And a ketogenic diet DOES make a huge difference in fat loss for those of us with metabolic resistance so I'm not sure what the naysayer meant about that.

Now, throw those things in the trash & just do the plan.
Ketostix are highly inaccurate & not worth the $$$ (or the soap to wash your hands after)

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-15-2012 at 09:26 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 235/186/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
LOL
Ketosis is like pregnancy. You either ARE or you AREN'T. There isn't MORE or LESS ketosis. If you've been on the program this long with no carb cheats & have lost weight that fast, you're ON.
If you show even a trace of color on a ketostick, you're in ketosis

And a ketogenic diet DOES make a huge difference in fat loss for those of us with metabolic resistance so I'm not sure what the naysayer meant about that.

Now, throw those things in the trash & just do the plan.
Ketostix are highly inaccurate & not worth the $$$ (or the soap to wash your hands after)
Well stated! All of it!!!
MommaHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #14  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

I agree, as long as you're showing a trace of ketosis, you're in it. If the color is darker, it just means you're less hydrated.
aliceinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

One way of checking would be peeing in a cup first thing in the morning, then dipping the strip for a second, i always get the first pee to have trace amounts.
sonyainva is offline   Reply With Quote