Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers weekly chat May 16 - May 22

Let the week begin! We're still dawdling about having a real Spring. DW wants to put away her winter clothes but can't because she's still wearing them. I long to go for a walk without a jacket.

There's an American Robin nesting in the crook of a downspout. This neighborhood doesn't need any more Robins, but we do get to watch up close the magic process of life renewed. That bird thinks it's Spring because that's when they do such.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good Morning all!

One more week of the pet sit. No chance to use the lovely big verandah - I had to hunt down the furnace switch last night and turn the heat back on!

Rain forecast for the entire week - BLEAGH!!!

Good Monday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

We've had some crazy weather here the past couple weeks. One day last week we set a record high temperature at 89 degrees. 89 degrees in early May! Maybe common where my parents live in SoCal, but certainly not in Indy. So it was 89 one day last week, then the high was just 59 yesterday and it was raining all day. Temps are supposed to be in the 60s this week.

Friday I leave for a conference in Baltimore. This is a really long conference -- I don't get back until the following Thursday. I anticipate being exhausted. My talk is next Tuesday morning so I guess I had better start practicing.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

The whole state of California is in a cold front for the next few days. It's beautiful and sunny but quite cool here. No worries, though--it'll mean another weekend of golf!

Back to the ol' grind today after a beautiful weekend in Del Mar. The hotel was impeccable and we had a great time. It was probably the most expensive round of golf we've ever played (or will again) but it was fun. I was so amazed that I didn't lose a single ball! Not that there was much water on the course, but the rough was deep and DH ended up losing 8 balls in the rough. I guess that means I hit pretty straight! Can't say I golfed well--there were several flubbed shots and it's no fun getting in a bunker in the middle of the fairway. I'm glad we played.

Everyone have a great week! DH and I are back on our Medifast after taking some of the weekend off. I did gain half a pound but I thought it might be worse.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Spritzing here on the Connecticut shore, right on the edge of Long Island Sound, and the air outside our office building smells like the ocean.

The rain washed all the green dust of tree pollen from my car's windshield. I'm glad, as it's finally getting to me. Whatever still-unidentified tree that is my allergic system's nemesis has finally come into bloom.

It's also supposed to rain all week here. I'm wearing a bright crayon-yellow cardigan today to counteract the grayness in the atmosphere.

I'm still working on a teardown report of the iPad 2. It's interesting to see it gutted & all its inner workings itemized & explained. Unfortunately, the entire report needs to be rewritten, sentence by sentence, as the analyst is Chinese and is still writing in an interlanguage that is nominally English but uses Mandarin constructions, colloquialisms and grammar rules. This is slow going.

I need another cup of Earl Grey.

My mother's due to visit me for a week, and bringing her cat, Fritz. I'm not sure yet what day of the week they're arriving. Maybe on Friday? That means some cleaning during whatever spare moments I've got after working overtime & gym-going.

And I need a pedicure. In Pilates, I'm the only one with her bare feet sticking up in the air who hasn't got painted toenails. (I did a survey during our warmup Hundred on Saturday morning.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Cold in Northern California, too. Had alittle rain yesterday. don't know what today will be like. I turned the heat on this AM while I took my shower. Isn't this supposed to be spring ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

cold and rainy here too. Yuck! It's supposed to get nicer by the end of the week though!

Saef-- I find myself studying my toenails in Bikram Yoga too and determining when I need a pedicure!

My eye problems have been back the last few days (from Graves Disease). I had really hoped they were gone. I'm worried it is from my new thyroid medicine which I'd hate to switch because my weight went down! Sometimes when I get a virus my eyes act up-- one eye bulges and I have trouble focusing-- and I don't feel great but nothing specific either. So I'll wait a few days and see what happens.

Super busy week with dh still in Asia, trying to house break Dewey, work, dd, etc. Lots of school events this week including a spring fling at my school and my dd in a play (Charlie Brown) so I'm going to struggle to get my gym time in. I need to not make any excuses when I can go!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #8  
slow and steady

Michele, have you called your endo about the eye issues? Maybe it is just part of adjusting to the new meds.

Speaking of thyroid meds, I'm not sure if my med change is helping or not. Sometimes I think, oh, this must be making a difference, I feel pretty good. Then sometimes everything hurts and I think, I guess it's not working. I need to give it a couple weeks to fully take effect I think, even though Cytomel is quick-acting. You know what is really weird though? I'm beginning to think my nasal allergies were never really allergies. I ran out of Flonase a couple weeks ago and while waiting for a new prescription from my doc (I was out of refills) I haven't been taking anything. Since I started the 2x/day Cytomel, my nose has cleared up. There's a ton of pollen outside so it's not like the allergens have gone away. Also when I was having the worst symptoms a few weeks ago, the allergy medicine didn't seem to be working at all. Thyroids sure do strange things.

Bargoo, we had to turn on the A/C on that 89 degree day, and then last night we had to get out our winter comforter for the bed since it was so cold.

Saef, you could always give yourself a home pedicure. I get nervous going to get my nails done at a nail place because I've only been a couple times, and I don't really know the procedure or feel comfortable.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Only 4 more days 'til the pet sit ends (16 days is too long). The stealth piddler did his thing today in the gym (I forgot and left the door open). It really smells with the dampness in the air. Nature's Miracle will take care of it.

Speaking of smells I thought I'd run over a skunk this morning. But no, t'was a woman walking up the street sucking on a big fat spliff mon. Wow! What kind of job do you have where you can be stoned at 9:30 in the a.m.? Probably a night shift and she was "unwinding" on her way home to bed.

The young golden I'm sitting was in the car and he got quite excited by this new smell. He was hanging out the window as we passed the woman and that gave her quite a start . The dog is a golden blonde goofy marshmallow but, given a heightened state of mind, I can see how his gleaming white teeth could be perceived as a threat.

Oops! I think he's "playing" with the fat cat - better go sort that out.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Brrrrr - so cold!!
Went to SF this w/e - it was freezing!
Did the Bay to Breakers run on Sunday 12k - nice run from downtown SF to the ocean.
Great run, but i didn't eat enough for breakfast (just a bit a yogurt + fruit) and bonked about 2miles in
Ahh well, it was fun just the same!!!

A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Shannon
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #11  
slow and steady

Sznn, speaking of races in SF, I think this one sounds awesome: http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/

I doubt I'd ever be able to do it, but it sure sounds like fun!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Disappearing into a pile of work, looking up only occasionally to take note of rain puddling on the flagstones on my patio and my sodden azaleas.

And looking in here briefly, to wish everyone well, particularly their thyroid glands.

As I see it, Jessica, the more work I do this week, the more I deserve to pay someone else to work on my nails while I look over Vogue or Bazaar or some other magazine in which women concentrate solely on evoking beauty in viewers' minds.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #13  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

Last week's goals: gym workouts - 4 - check, long walks with dog - 4 - did 3.5 plus took her to a spot on the beach where I could let her off the leash and she could run, run, run. This week's goals: gym workouts - 4, long walks with dog - 5. Emma is keyed up this week! The weather is much cooler, I wonder if that's what's making her extra frisky. Her AM wake-up was earlier, but I think it's cuz she had to pee. Bc when I took her out repeatedly last night she messed around, sniffing up and down the block, and definitely did not going to the bathroom. Puppies are like that...

Yesterday I had a bad day. I had to spent lots of $ on my car. It was routine, I needed to change the timing belt and water pump, but still. Ouch. There was some annoyance/stressed out-edness at work over people not having regard for other people's schedules... I got the results from my dive physical and found out I really do have high cholesterol (this time, it was a proper fasting test). Seriously? I tried to walk it off. After a short gym workout, I took the dog for a really long walk. I finally listened to the IOWL podcasts I'd downloaded while I walked, and ended up in tears of frustration over my constant struggle with food. So instead of lifting my mood like walks usually do, I was more upset when I got home.

So, sigh, hoping today will be a better day, I can stay away from the candy jar, eat healthy foods that will make my body feel better. I plan to go to the produce stand and get some of the yummy peaches I've heard were there, since I'm out of fruit. Maybe I'll see what else they have and make a fruit salad. I love fruit and it's good for me. The little things, right?

Sznn, glad the run was fun and great job running!

Dagmar, um, maybe no job? Or an evening shift?

Jessica, sometimes I think allergies are variable depending on the pollen count on a given year. I usually only have fall pollen allergies. A few years ago I had weird breathing issues in the early summer. I just couldn't get enough air in my lungs, felt like I was always sucking it in. I went to the dr., got tested for asthma, lung function, etc. etc. and it was chalked up to allergies, but an allergy med fixed it. I even tried to experiment and go off the med several times, symptoms came back. At the end of the summer it went away, and I've never experienced it again. The only thing I remember differently about that summer was that friends who normally suffered during the summer said their allergies were really bad that year. So, who knows, if the pollen is different due to environment/temps/rain amount how your allergies might respond differently.

Michele, maybe your body just needs to adjust to your new meds. We need to see some Dewey pictures!

Saef, gl w mom's visit!

Allison, sounds like a fun golf game and nice weekend.

Bill, I've got a bird nest under my house too. They're not robins, I'm not sure what - maybe wrens. The parents are being very secretive and I haven't had time to sit and wait for them to come out and get a good look. But I know they've got babies, BF has heard them chirping.

Ok... back to work... have a good day everybody.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #14  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
As I see it, Jessica, the more work I do this week, the more I deserve to pay someone else to work on my nails while I look over Vogue or Bazaar or some other magazine in which women concentrate solely on evoking beauty in viewers' minds.
Why don't we pick a central location and we can all fly in for the weekend for a nice spa trip? We can relax, get our pedis and a massage, do some hot yoga and support each other's healthy eating styles to nourish our bodies. Forget visiting parents, work obligations, leave the dogs with the husbands and wives, children, etc.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Megan. I hope today is better for you.

Ahhh, pedicures! I had never had one and my BFF from SLC treated me about 3 years ago. Since then, I have not done my own toenails. They do such a better job than I ever could and the massage is wonderful not to mention how they can make your heels look great which is a must when I wear flip flops 99% of the time. Since then, I've graduated to more and more manicures (although many years ago I used to do fake nails). These days I do a regular French manicure with gel polish as it lasts up to 3 weeks rather than 3 days for a normal manicure (those of us who shuffle a lot of paper will attest to manicures not lasting). I love the pampering!

Last night, as I was preparing dinner, DH reminded me it was DS's school awards night. So I turned everything off and we took off for the school (he got Academic Achievement with a 4.6 GPA). We got home and I finished fixing dinner but we ate late--8:30. It was strange! We normally eat no later than 7 PM. But it was yummy! Shrimp cocktails and artichokes. Yum.

Thursday night DH and I are going to a gala complete with dinner so lord knows if anything will be on our diet. I've re-lost the half pound I gained this weekend and I'm really stoked to continue with this Medifast thing. It's easy, not time consuming at all, and it's working.

It's still unseasonably cool here. It was downright cold this morning! The low was 46--when I think normal is in the 60's. I had a hard time leaving the warmth of my bed this morning (we sleeps with several doors cracked open, so it gets pretty chilly inside as well). Since it's still so cool, DH and I are golfing both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Then Saturday after golf, he and DS are going 4-wheeling in his Jeep that he just got new tires and wheels on. Strange how he didn't even bother to invite me this time (knowing full well I'd say no, but still.....).

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by alinnell; 05-17-2011 at 11:09 AM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote