Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Shopping online and tailor/sizing

My parents are going to visit us in a few months so I'd like to order some clothes online that they can bring with from the states. I just wanted to check some things first:

- I've been recommended Nordstroms/Freshpair to buy bras, right? Basically, I want something just like Lane Bryant's Balconette bra (basically something that has a lot of lift and support) but in a 34F, any suggestions?

- Hip measurements... quick question, does that include your butt or not? The widest part of my hips is 40/41 inches but the widest part of my butt is 44 inches (that doesn't get my hips, really, though), which measurement do I take?

- I keep seeing people post links to dresses on Modcloth and I've totally fallen in love with that site. I want to order a dress and my measurements are exactly what is listed for XL, do you think that's safe to order? Should I go for a L in hopes it fits soon?

- How hard is it to get clothes tailored if they don't fit well? The general rule of thumb is to order larger and then get it tailored down, right? How many inches can they realistically take off?

- Any other clothing websites that have clothes (not too expensive!) listed that are true to their measurements (looking both for normal clothes and work clothes)? I know ordering from somewhere like Old Navy/Gap is definitely NOT even remotely possible!

- Is it possible to bring in maternity clothes.. if so by how many inches? We'd like to TTC this winter so I'm just wondering if my parents should bring maternity clothes too or if I can get away with my old ones that I absolutely love?

Last edited by runningfromfat; 05-13-2011 at 10:34 AM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #2  
Love me.

S/C/G: 207/T/135

Height: 5'10"

I can't answer all your questions, but...

-The hip measurement is the circumference of your hip bone to hip bone. However, if you have an unusually big bottom or if you carry your weight in a special way, then take your measurement there to ensure that the clothes will fit you.

-Unfortunately, there is no consistent sizing on ModCloth or any other clothing website. Not only is it expensive, I find that it is not worth the money in terms of quality and craftsmanship. It kinda reminds me of forever21. Order the dress if you like it though.

-A tailor can fix and adjust any type of clothing. It just depends on how good the tailor is. However, it the cost might not be worth it.
AshleyLaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #3  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I've ordered from LL Bean. Their clothes are nice and relatively inexpensive. 2 of my favorite shirts are from there. Unfortunately, they are too big now.

I would order in your exact size. I know it's hard, but it's a shame to not be able to wear it if it's too small. I have some shorts I just bought in a size smaller, and it's frustrating that I won't be able to take them on my cruise next week because they are too small.

Not sure about measurements. They seem all over the place for me. My waist measures one size and hips another. Ugh!

I've not had good luck with tailors. One lady made me so angry, I just gave up on that. Maybe you will have better luck than me.

As far as maternity clothes go, I have no idea. My youngest is 7, almost 8, so I'm out of the baby world. I guess you can have them taken in. I don't know.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote