Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147/138.8/105

Height: 5' 2.25"

Default muscle question

So I have been exercising like crazy for the past year. I haven't lost one pound, but lost 10% body fat, lost many inches and pant sizes! I took a short break from exercise when my mom came to visit for a month, and then right when I was ready to get back in it I decided to start this diet. SO, my question is, will I be losing any/much muscle now that I have started this diet and am not exercising? I know I have so much muscle under all this squish and I am ready to see it! I don't want to lose all the hard work I have done.

And at what point can I start lifting weights and doing yoga again would you think? I don't want to go to soon and get light headed...
longhorn96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Can't speak to your second question, but regarding your first: eat lots of protein. Your body will want to break down the muscle mass before it starts eating away at the fat/carb reserves, so don't let it get ahead of you. Eat as much protein as you can to keep your muscle mass steady.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #3  
Maintaining since 6/9/11

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

I just bumped the Exercise thread. You might want to read some of that thread. It has a bunch of good info.
Lucky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 179/133.6/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn96 View Post
So I have been exercising like crazy for the past year. I haven't lost one pound, but lost 10% body fat, lost many inches and pant sizes! I took a short break from exercise when my mom came to visit for a month, and then right when I was ready to get back in it I decided to start this diet. SO, my question is, will I be losing any/much muscle now that I have started this diet and am not exercising? I know I have so much muscle under all this squish and I am ready to see it! I don't want to lose all the hard work I have done.

And at what point can I start lifting weights and doing yoga again would you think? I don't want to go to soon and get light headed...
There's tons of great info in the exercise threads, but I'll quickly share my personal experience. I was skeptical about IPs claim that it spares muscle, but after losing 37 pounds during the last 11 weeks, I'm really happy to see that it really has. Even better, I haven't been really consistent with weight training for probably 3 years, and I didn't expect to have ANY definition, but it's not bad at all. So, you'll probably be really happy with what you see.

There is some variation in what different clinics recommend, but I was told yoga & walking are fine from the beginning, but no weight training or cardio workouts. Also, lots of people have reports that their weight loss stalled when they were working out.

Hope that helps!
blueandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferumbras View Post
Can't speak to your second question, but regarding your first: eat lots of protein. Your body will want to break down the muscle mass before it starts eating away at the fat/carb reserves, so don't let it get ahead of you. Eat as much protein as you can to keep your muscle mass steady.
I can't really eat any more protein that what is on protocol right? I mean I am doing three packets a day and then my dinner which is 5-8 oz of lean meat. Are you saying do more than that?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandwhite View Post
There's tons of great info in the exercise threads, but I'll quickly share my personal experience. I was skeptical about IPs claim that it spares muscle, but after losing 37 pounds during the last 11 weeks, I'm really happy to see that it really has. Even better, I haven't been really consistent with weight training for probably 3 years, and I didn't expect to have ANY definition, but it's not bad at all. So, you'll probably be really happy with what you see.

There is some variation in what different clinics recommend, but I was told yoga & walking are fine from the beginning, but no weight training or cardio workouts. Also, lots of people have reports that their weight loss stalled when they were working out.

Hope that helps!
I am so torn on what to do. I would be totally fine just not exercising until I get to goal. But then I think how hard I worked to get in shape and the routine I was in with my kids. I hate to just stop completely. I will have to decide what to do!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I have exercised through my whole ip time. Regularly and intensely.
I have lost about 20 pounds and there is muscle under the fat!!

I have lost lots of inches!

I would up the protein an extra packet and keep doing what you are used to. My coach was not opposed to this plan, as long as I felt good, which I have.

It seems a shame to lose fitness if you don't have to...
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 231/145.2/145.2

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:

I can't tell you what will happen to you, but, here's what happened with me. As I lost fat, I lost a small amount of muscle and bone, but at a MUCH slower rate. Apparently, you don't need as much when you're not carrying around all that extra weight. My doc tells me this is normal and to be expected.

Because I track this stuff:

On 5/7/10, I had:
Bone: 6.2
Muscle: 114.8
Fat: 107.2

On 5/4/11:
Bone: 5.4
Muscle: 101.6
Fat: 42.6

I have primarily not been exercising. I'm sure if I did, my muscle mass would be higher, but then, so would my overall number on the scale. It's a psychological game I'm playing with myself - lose the fat first, then start replacing the remaining fat with muscle. Diet first, THEN exercise. It's probably not the best plan, but it's kept me on track, and I'm not sure I could handle putting this much effort into my diet AND exercising on top of it. But that's me.

Last edited by Lisaf373; 05-10-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Lisaf373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

Normally, your BMI measures your fat mass and your LEAN mass; not necessarily your muscle mass. Your lean mass is everything else besides fat - which includes water. If that number goes down a little, don't be worried. It's natural, and according to the IP program, you DO lose some muscle mass at first because it's taking away from the glycogen storage. When you get to phase 3 and start eating more carbs again, you get that weight back (2.5 to 5 pounds). Make sure you drink plenty of water - if your hydration level goes down, so does your Lean Mass weight (depending how your bmi is measured).

You definitely should not exercise during the first 2 or so weeks, when you're body is trying to figure out what the heck you're doing to it. After that, though, you can MODERATELY (brisk walk; some yoga; etc.). Some people have worked out more vigorously, and while some of them noticed slow weightloss, others have added an IP packet or 2 a day to more continuously replenish muscles with protein, and add a few extra calories that they're burning off. For those who are working out and not adding packets, they don't lose much weight; for those who work out and have 4 or 5 packets a day (instead of 3), they seem to continue to lose weight at a normal rate.

It's your choice, and I also urge you to speak with your coach, too.

Good luck!
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #10  

Thank you for all the information! I think I will take the first two weeks off. Then on the days I work out add one packet (if it's a solid workout, not just a walk). But I will ask my coach what he thinks.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #11  
Countdown To Amy

S/C/G: 186 / 204 / 145

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
I can't really eat any more protein that what is on protocol right? I mean I am doing three packets a day and then my dinner which is 5-8 oz of lean meat. Are you saying do more than that?
Right. Follow the plan strictly and you will not lose muscle. If you choose to do light exercise (3 mile walk) drink an extra shake (I love the OJ one for exercise) and drink half before you go and the other half after you're finished...otherwise you will feel over-tired and could lose muscle. The thing to remember is that once you are in ketosis (get the strips - any color change means you're in) your body does not have "instant energy" reserves and you need to be sure to fuel yourself. I did light walks and simple lifting following this protocol of having an extra shake and did just fine. You really will only lose fat as long as you stay in ketosis and follow the plan.

I find it's really good to journal throughout this and pay attention to any cravings. I'm 5 pounds from starting Phase 2 and am planning to stay on a high alkaline diet once I'm all finished with my IP meals. It feels sooooo good not to be hooked on beating myself up with bad foods.
amyniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #12  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I followed the plan perfect to a "T" for 16 weeks. Not a bite lick taste of anything off protocol. I also ate a restricted everyday and and extra 1/2 a shake everyday. I walked every day at lunch (light) and did light cardio and yoga on the Wii 3-5 times a week. I lost 3.5 to 4.0 pounds very consistantly.

I started intense weight training with a personal trainer after the new year, but no other exercise. My weight loss stopped and the scale actually went up two pounds. I was in tears and quit for two weeks, but still dieted on Atkins (didn't want to get out of ketosis).

I went back to IP and have continued to exercise with the trainer...this is my 19th week with her. The weight loss has been slow since the new year, but I have also had many planned cheats (I set my goal lower).

Would I change it? Yes, I would have weight trained since day one (or after first two weeks). I am thrilled thrilled thrilled with the muscle tone I have developed in the last 19 weeks.

Not sure what to tell you, but do what you want best.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #13  
OneBadGRANDmotherRunner

S/C/G: 152/143/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Thank you for all the information! I think I will take the first two weeks off. Then on the days I work out add one packet (if it's a solid workout, not just a walk). But I will ask my coach what he thinks.
This is nearly exactly what my clinic recommended I do on my long run/strenuous cardio days.

In my case, it was about bumping up calories (good calories with an extra amount of "ideal" protein) so that the body does not fatigue or go into starvation mode. Before I started doing this, about halfway through my run, I would feel like I was (literally) running on empty. So this plan has worked great for me and I trained for and completed a half marathon while doing it.

For example, what I do on a long run day is eat a bar about 30 min. before my run, then depending on the distance (10+ miles) I might eat another bar during the run. Then no more than 30 min. after the run I would drink a readi-drink. The rest of my day was just the usual Phase I.

Good luck with your exercise/training--that was the hardest part for me at first--giving up the exercise, which is almost more important to me mentally, than physically.
NonieRuns is offline   Reply With Quote