Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #1  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Foundation - Choosing the right shade

How do you do it?
When I first started wearing makeup my aunt was an Avon rep and helped me find the right shade with an abundance of samples she had.
Now I'm noticing that after having my son my skin is different, and I really can't seem to match up the right tone . . . at least I don't think I am, I can never tell.

Am I better to go to a cosmetologist and get the help?

I feel silly asking at my age, but at the same time I don't want to walk out of the house with a skin on my face that doesnt match my neck ya know?

Thanks in advance ladies
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165.9/ticker/100

Height: 4"10

If you go to the make-up counter in one of the big department stores they can test different shades on your skin to get the right one. You can sometimes also get the rest of your make-up done for you at the same time, for a treat. As far as I'm aware this is usually free.
puzzledpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #3  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

Agreed with above, go to a makeup counter like Estee Lauder, Bobbi Brown, Lancome, MAC, anything really, and get matched.

I'd recommend MAC, not because their foundations are particularly good, but because it is a very structured system and most people in the makeup community describe themselves in terms of MAC shade as a frame of reference. Once you know your general MAC shade, you can use this handy foundation matrix (http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix) to help you choose a color that may be a suitable match in another brand. The matrix isn't always accurate, but it gives you a great jumping off point.

If you buy a drugstore brand foundation, make sure where you buy from has a good return policy. Drugstores like CVS and Walgreens WILL allow returns on opened/used makeup.

In general, some tips are:
1. The best light to tell whether a foundation matches is to look at yourself in natural light.
2. You should always blend your foundation a bit down onto your neck so there is not a harsh line
3. If you have a foundation you KNOW matches you, you can always bring it in with you to the drugstore and compare things side by side!
4. Don't be afraid to ask for samples of foundations in department stores or Sephora. They are free and essential in picking the one that works well for you! For example, I got a sample of a foundation that matched me...but after 2 hours it oxidized and turned orange on my face! So, I didn't have to waste the money buying a whole bottle just to find that out and waste the time to return it.
5. Try to match to your neck, since you want your face to be the same shade as the rest of you.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited by aliquot; 05-03-2011 at 10:00 PM.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree get samples and try them on. I notice many women wear makeup that is too dark for them Your face should not be darker than your neck. You can get good quality cosmetics at the drug store suh as Cover Girl and Loreal and Revlon, or call up an Avon rep and ask her for samples.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #5  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

I've been using a good quality mineral powder (mac), and it can bridge the gap between tan/light and even out complexion without giving me that mask feeling. It also looks natrual, and has an SPF factor!
I've been buying mineral based powder for 4 years and noticed my skin tone has become more even and less red.
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Smoky Mountain Minerals!
Should it be too light or too dark, SMM offers lighteners or darkeners to customize your perfect shade. You can order sample sizes and shipping is always FREE!!
www.smmbeauty.com
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

i recently just got re-matched too.
they just try a spot near your neck to make sure that its not noticeable after its blended in.
i really like chanel foundations because they feel great. vitalumiere is my favorite for light coverage and ive been using it for years.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #8  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Smoky Mountain Minerals!
Should it be too light or too dark, SMM offers lighteners or darkeners to customize your perfect shade. You can order sample sizes and shipping is always FREE!!
www.smmbeauty.com
I really like what I'm seeing on the site, free shipping would be great if I was in the US lol.
For the mineral powder, if you use it, how is it for coverage with getting the 'photo ready' look and is it easy to get the hang of a kabuki brush?
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #9  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

Oh you're in Canada too? Try Faces mineral make up. You can order online, I'm not too light, not tan, so I take a medium.
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #10  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondocks View Post
I really like what I'm seeing on the site, free shipping would be great if I was in the US lol.
For the mineral powder, if you use it, how is it for coverage with getting the 'photo ready' look and is it easy to get the hang of a kabuki brush?
Buffing with a kabuki is pretty darn easy. There are tons of mineral makeup tutorials on youtube, as well. IME coverage with MMU is sheer to medium, depending on how much you can build it up without it looking too powdery or cakey. It depends on the brand.

Again, I'd recommend you get samples before you invest heavily in anything, I for one get really ichy with mineral makeup and in general my skin gets this weird dry feeling that I don't like.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #11  

Great ideas! Thanks everyone! :-)

~Monique
MoniqueDiet is offline   Reply With Quote