Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #1  

Default Need Insight

I am doing a 90day challenge at my local gym. I am on my 3rd fitness manager of the challenge due to the first 2 quit. The 2nd manager/trainer had me eating around 1000 calories per day. I was losing anywhere from 1-2 pounds per week. The manager/trainer I have now has told me to up my calories from 1000 to 1300-1500/day. I did that last week and I had my weekly weigh in yesterday and I only lost 0.4 lbs this week. I was very upset because I still worked out the same as I have before and I lost less weight than I have in one week since I have been on the program. My trainer said that my body has been put in "starvation" mode due to the decreased calories I was eating before and now I am seeing the results of it. I guess I see what she is saying but I am scared that if I continue to eat 1300-1500 calories/day this week that I might actually gain. Does anyone have any insight as to what I need to do? Thanks!
my2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

From everything I read - and I am no nutritionist - your body goes in starvation mode if you eat under 1200 calories.

So, I would agree with this third/new trainer.

However, are you sure you're tracking every single calorie? Are you counting all of the calories in your drinks? I had a friend once who forgot to track her gatorade, for example, which will make a huge difference. I ask because if you're counting wrong or skipping things maybe you were already over 1200 but didn't realize it.

If your math has been perfect, then, I'd suspect your trainer's explanation is correct. I've never found anything in writing that has stated going under 1200 is good for you. Even the My Fitness Pal app gets mad at me if I'm under 1200.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

1000 is awfully low. If you bump up your calories, you probably will lose more slowly, at least for a while, but it's probably healthier in the long run.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #4  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
1000 is awfully low. If you bump up your calories, you probably will lose more slowly, at least for a while, but it's probably healthier in the long run.
I agree. Once you get your body going you'll likely see some forward momentum. Just hang in there. There will be an ebb and flow week to week sometimes but it won't affect your long term goals.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

How much do you weigh ? What is your goal weight ? These two questions have a bearing on how many calories you need. 1000 calories is way to low even 1200 is low, You are in danger of robbing yourself of needed nutrients when your calories are too low. Remeber, too , you want to have a calorie level that you cam sustain.Those super low daily calories will allow you to lose but it rarely is long lasting.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #6  

Thanks for everyone's input.

I weigh 174.8lbs and I am 5'2". My goal weight is 145lbs.
my2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #7  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I agree with your second trainer. The first one messed up your metabolism with putting you on that 1,000 calorie diet. No worries though...I'd stay higher at the 1500 calorie range and soon enough your body will adjust and your metabolism will be where it should be.

BTW, I lose about 1lb/week (and I'm close to goal, the hardest lbs to lose) eating 1700-1800 cals/day. I've lost the bulk of my weight on 1500-1600 cals though.

EAT...it's fuel...it's what creates heat...heat is energy...and so on and so on. Makes sense to me anyways. All the best!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2kids View Post
Thanks for everyone's input.

I weigh 174.8lbs and I am 5'2". My goal weight is 145lbs.
I think your current trainer has it right.
I am a little shorter than you and I lost and maintained on about 1400 calories a day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #9  
~Kim~

Great advice so far. You also have to realize that our bodies aren't a machine and just because you do A and B doesn't mean you're going to get C as a result everytime. If you've only been on plan for a few weeks then having some good numbers the first few weeks and then a lower number for a week or two is very common. When we first start a plan we usually lose a lot of water weight at first. If we weren't carrying that stupid water weight I think a lot of us wouldn't have that 3 or 4 week feeling of discouragement because our numbers would have been a lot more steady from the start. My solution was to not weight so often and it's really done wonders for my psyche.

The important thing is to not give up. If for some reason your loses really start to slow down so that they aren't making sense you'll just need to talk to your trainer and figure out a way to tweek things till they start working again.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #10  

Default Starvation Mode is a Myth

Starvation Mode is a Myth.

"MYTH: Eating a diet that is too low in calories will cause the body to go into starvation mode and not burn any calories

FACT: Severely cutting calories will cause the metabolism to adjust slightly, but not enough to prevent fat loss

Remember that people around the world who truly die of starvation are not overweight when they expire. It's true that when you severely cut calories your metabolism will make a slight adjustment, allowing your body to run on fewer calories—but it's not a large compensation. If you need to lose weight and you are not, eat less and/or move more and forget about slowing your metabolism."

Source:

Neal Spruce chairman of the board for the prestigious National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-a...ms-983959.html
JEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #11  

Default Focus on Nutrition

I'm 5'1 and 3/4

I eat about 1000 - 1100 calories a day and I'm losing 2 pounds a week. Focus on proper nutrition and you'll be OK. If you feel like you're not getting proper nutrition you can take a multi vitamin twice a day. You can change the order of the plan below to anyway you like. The portion sizes are standard in the medical field to measure units of food. You can increase your intake by doubling portion sizes.

Here's my eating plan:

BREAKFAST:

1 Starch – 80 calories
1 Fruit – 60 calories
1 Milk – 90 calories
1 Fat – 40 calories
270 calories

LUNCH:

2 Starch – 160 calories
1 Protein - 75 calories
1 Vegetable - 25 calories
1 Fruit – 60 calories
1 Fat – 40 calories
360 calories

DINNER:

1 Starch – 80 calories
1 Protein - 75 calories
1 Vegetable - 25 calories
1 Fruit – 60 calories
1 Fat – 40 calories
280 calories

Total 910 calories

Add additional calories to equal the desired amount for your daily caloric requirements.

Last edited by JEN3; 05-03-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I'm going to ignore the whole "Stavation Mode" thing and focus on another angle.

Weight loss is a lifetime proposition. What is sustainable for you for the rest of your life?

Losing the weight (more) quickly, on lower number of calories, might seem attractive, but it has risks:
- Binging/overeating as a result of unsustainable restriction
- The desire to "stop dieting" when you enter maintenance, leading to regain
- A feeling that "Less is more" leading to further and further calorie restriction, a path that leads to eating disorders

I'm a fellow shorty. Most of my weight loss was on 1350-1450 calories a day, dipping to the lower end as I've approached goal. While I do believe everyone's body is different, it's very hard for me to believe that it's a good idea for anyone (unless you are in a coma) to eat under 1000 calories a day.

Why would you punish yourself like that?
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #13  

Jen,

I presume you're talking to me? More than once in my post I said "Add additional calories to equal the desired amount for your daily caloric requirements." "You can increase your intake by doubling portion sizes."

When you eat real whole foods, 1000 - 1100 calories add up to a lot of nutrition. It eliminates the empty calories that are so popular. All a person would have to do is add some sugar ridden granola bar twice a day and it would boost the caloric intake up to 1400 calories in no time.

I can assure you, I don’t punish myself and I'm not in a coma.

Kit
Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 308/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I eat whole foods only and I eat six times a day.. this means every 3 hours my body gets a "dose" of good, nutritious fuel... I never ever feel hungry or deprived because I'm always getting fed. I average 850-1000 cals a day. Usually 900 or so. I've lost 50 lbs doing this, at a rate of about 3 lbs a week, after the initial water dump of about 7 lbs on week 1.
Peggypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #15  

What Should You Eat?

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...hould-you-eat/