Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #1  
~Getting My Groove Back!

S/C/G: 297/276/260

Height: 5'6

Default Metformin, Spirolactone and Excess Body Hair!

Hi Everyone! I have foolishly ignored my PCOS symptoms.... I suppose with the hopes that they'd go away! But unfortunately, they've only gotten worse!
I should be on Metformin (Glucophage) 850 mg 3x day, which I haven't been dilligent with... And now due to an excess in facial hair (even after laser), I have been put on the Spirolactone!
Can anyone tell me how these drugs have worked for you, or if they work at all?
I think if I hear some good things, I may be motivated to keep taking the pills!
Thanks!
~Noussa
noussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

You might want to repost this on the PCOS subforum for more posts.

Personally, spirnolactone never helped me probably because I was only treated with BCP, which really does nothing but mask PCOS symptoms. My sister who also suffers from PCOS has found that taking metformin diligently along with a proper diet & exercise helps A LOT.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/183/150

Height: 5'6"

I take spirinolactone, and I love it. I stopped taking it just for about a week and started to see some of my symptoms coming back, like acne. I don't use metformin anymore, I finally got my blood sugar under controll (yay me!). My best friend takes it though, and it has helped her a lot. The spirinolactone is great though, all depends on what is causing your symptoms. I think you should give it a good shot, take them on time all the time for at least 3 months, if you don't notice improvements, then you know they aren't worth taking.

Hope it helps
Angela80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 171/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I do not have PCOS but I did take Spirolactone for hormonal acne and it is the BEST. I love love love that drug. Plus it was a drug my insurance waived the copay on (and my insurance isn't even that good!) so it was free! I spoke to another woman who had a doctor prescribe it to her to help her with her weightloss.
uwfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote