General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #1  

Default Busting Sugar- May and onward...2011

Sugar busters, low glycemic, etc....if you watch your sugar intake, and try to eat low glycemic, you have found like minded here....

Good morning! Happy May Day! Its beautiful here. Sun is shining and the weather is just a tad cool...perfect!

Heading out to church in a few, but had a minute to check in.

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #2  

I'm with you. What do you think about artificial sweeteners?

Have you seen this? It's rather long, the scary thing is that sugar and fructose sticks to the insides of your arteries and causes blockage that may lead to heart attacks.

"The Bitter Truth About Sugar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
JEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #3  

Hi Kit! I have read a very long scientific article on the problems with sugar...I often slip up some, and use sugar, and it gets worse and worse...then something snaps me back again and I get back on track. The article I read really has helped me to stay on the wagon and keep sugar out of my diet.

On artificial sweeteners....I don't use them. I am diabetic and everything I have read says they can and do cause an insulin response to your taste of sweetness. I have lost more weight since giving them up entirely then I ever did while using them. I just try to eat as natural as possible now, using organics for the foods they recommend organics on, and other organics as I can afford them.

Are you following a certain diet? I tend towards Sugar Busters because I have done it for so long, but recently I ate vegan for about 6-9 months. I am thinking of going back to it because it did help my blood sugar levels...except I really love chicken, fish and cheese!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Woo Hoo

Happy May ya'll!!!!!!!!!!! I ate the wrong foods again yesterday so I guess I'll spend the next three days trying to get back on track. I have got to stop all the negative eating on the weekends. It is not about the weight but about being healthy.

I picked some greens and squash this morning so no excuses not to eat well this afternoon.

Kit..I don't like artificial sweeteners. I went through detox when I went off of Splenda and that only confirmed to me that it wasn't good for me. I use a little sugar in my morning coffee. I also use honey and agave.

Ellen..thanks so much for the new thread. This is a new month and the start of a GREAT Spring.

Toni, Solly and Mercee...Happy Monday ya'll!

God bless,
Crystle
CountryMom4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Posted before I realized there was a new thread so copying it over here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi ladies. Sorry I have been MIA. I have not felt good, had a MRI and ultra sound on my legs. Ultrasound was fine (which I knew it would be) but have not heard on the MRI on my back yet. My BP dropped to 71/56 on Thursay when I went to get a shot in my back. I felt horrible. It came up some after the shot but I was wiped out. Yesterday on the way to church I started feeling sick again. Had a shower to go to after church and just sitting there I could tell my BP was low again. I got a drink of tea and a bite to eat and felt some better but not a lot. Just felt wiped out. Got another vertigo treatment this morning and it made my sicker and now I have the big "D" again. Just want to lay down awhile. I could sleep but as always afraid I won't sleep tonight. Just don't feel like doing anything.

Mercee, getting those 3 months free should be so easy for you as much as you work out. Good luck, I know you can do it.

Toni, WTG being in the 180's. I am there too. Tried to start over today even though I will be eating "stuff" all week and weekend with Derby parties, but it is not going that way,. So Monday it is back on track for sure.

Crystle, WOW being that thin is wonderful. Just don't lose too much. Is that ever possible? Great job.

Ellen, Glad you enjoy WA. I wish the rain would stop long enough to warm up the pools. It is raining here again today and tomorrow. It is really ruining Derby week.

Off to check my email. Have a great day. Should be on here tomorrow unless I go to the track with the office. Have to wait and see how I feel.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #6  

Oh dear did bad yesterday with my eating. Back on plan this morning and am doing fine. I hope it doesn't affect my weigh in on Wed. Its rained all day today and is chilly and damp. Went to Lowe's yesterday and had a great shopping trip. Got a beautiful flower for my deck and a couple of beautiful tomato plants. For the pots outside. We ate the first time at Pandera Breads. I didn't know what to order so ended up with a cup of onion soup and 1/2 of a roast turkey sandwich.

Ellen- Thanks for starting us a new post. Its so fresh and clean. Spring like. Love the reminder about Sugar Busters.

Kit- Welcome to our board. Thanks for the you tube about sugar.

Crystle- I seem to have a bad time on Sundays with eating the wrong stuff. You can just keep trying.

Solly- So sorry you're having a bad time of it. Maybe a little nap would be good for you.

Off I go. Need to fix me a late lunch.
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #7  

Evening! I have been on the run almost all day. I unloaded the kiln yesterday and I meant to take pictures and list pieces on my etsy site, but I never got around to it. I went to Sweet Tomatoes (salad bar place) after water aerobics with a friend, then to walmart. I came home and watched a couple episodes of Glee. I am totally hooked on that show now!

Tonight Tom planted most of the garden. He was two weeks later than he wanted to be, but it seems like life gets so chaotic and its hard to get stuff done. After he finished planting he came in and found a tick on his back. Not sure where it came from....but most likely the shrubs back by the garden. Argh! Not sure how to get rid of ticks, but the most disturbing is why was it there? They are usually carried by something, and this looked like a deer tick. There are deer around....but they can't get into our yard. Oh well, I don't want to worry about it. I will just not be very eager to trample around out there now!

Time for bed! Good night!

Last edited by Ellen; 05-02-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Good morning ladies. Did nothing but lay on the couch and watch all my recorded stuff on the Royal Wedding. I still have it taped on 3 more channels. I was so engrossed by it. Some better today but still having trouble walking and my leg hurts again so the shot didn't last long. The office is going to the track today but I am not going. The boss is taking them and staying with them and they can only stay for 4 hours. Plus our sales consultant is going and he is the biggest bore ever. The girls don't even want to go so I am not going. Plus is it only going to be 49 here today and rain, rain, rain. It poured down all night long and it is still coming. Schools are delayed and so many roads are closed from the floods. I think we are expecting another 1" or 2" more. Then sprinkles Thursay thru the weekend.

Crystle, your squash is so big. They don't have them that big at the grocery. WTG on the 27 minutes run. You are awesome.

Toni, I don't think you ate very badly. Probably not on plan but not bad. When I eat off plan I go hog wild and eat all the bad stuff. I don't t hink it will affect your weigh in unless it contained a lot of sodium.

Ellen, I think there is something you can spray for ticks and fleas in your yard. That is creepy.

Not much else going on so I will check in tomorrow. Have a great day.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #9  

Well, I just got back from taking my 18 year old cat to the vet. He has some kind of abscess or infection in his mouth, and the vet thinks it could even be a tumor. They can not sedate him, as he is too old, too sick and dehydrated. They gave him a shot, some fluids, and told me to bring him back Thursday to see if it helps. He is Tom's cat...so it doesn't matter what they say Thursday. I just kind of feel like its about the end, and that will have to be Tom's job.

So I got all hooked on Glee, then I found out it will cost me about $20 to watch the second season. Its not out on DVD yet...and Netflix only has the first season. Bummer...at Amazon it is .99 cents an episode. There are 22.

I am going to go over and cook dinner with a young friend of ours wife. She wants to learn Indian cooking...it ought to be a lot of fun. I should be thinking of what I need to carry to their house ....she is allergic to cats so there is no chance of them coming here.

Guess I will go rustle up some lunch.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #10  

Hi Ladies:

Sorry I was MIA. I had a very busy weekend and I am still going to the gym almost every day. I am really ejoying this challenge. I trying to get ahead in my workouts becauce we will be out of town a week before the challenge is over.

Solly- I hope you feel better soon. Please try and relax adn slow down a bit.

Ellen- That is so sweet of you teaching the lady to cook indian. I have found a lot of women in their 30's only know how to make packaged food. I found this out at our ladies fellowship at church.

Toni- I'm sure you will be alright just get back to it girl you are rocking.

Crystle- You ae certainly becoming an athlete. Keep up the good work.

Kit- Welcome!!

Well ladies I have to go have a great day!!! You ladies ROCK!!!
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #11  

Yay I lost a lb. today. I can tell my clothes are getting a little baggy. Went grocery shopping yesterday. It took forever and I sure was tired when we got home. But glad to have some different things to eat. Its going to be cool here today and I'm feeling it this morning.

Mercee- Woo Hoo you're doing good. Keep it up lady!!!

Ellen- Hope Tom's cat gets better. Wow I wish I could watch you two ladies at work I could learn so much. You're such a good person to teach your friend to cook Indian food.

Solly- sorry the shot didn't help that much. I know what you mean about getting off plan and going nuts with the food then. Sunday's are getting to be a cheat day for me and I've got to stop that.

Well having yummy hot coffee. Think I'll finish on here.
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #12  

Hey everyone! I just got back from taking Tom to lunch at my fav Indian place. He has gone there for dinner, but this is the first day he was off during the week that I could take him to the luncheon buffet. He agreed that it is the best we have had. They had a eggplant dish on the buffet today that I am going to start trying to find the recipe for. It was divine! Not at all spicy, but the yogurt sauce totally complimented the flavor of the eggplants. They used the Indian eggplants that are small globes. I have some of them planted in the garden this year!

I forgot to weigh. I weighed yesterday and was down three. I won't count it until I weigh in the morning. After a big Indian dinner, and now a big Indian lunch, it will serve me right if that loss disappears!

SOLLY: I am praying for you to feel better. ((hugs))

TONI: You are doing great! I hope you have to go buy new clothes soon!

MERCEE: I know what you mean! We did the Apples of Gold mentoring program at church, and there were a few ladies who had NO idea how to cook. The program is a cooking class combined with a Bible study. At first I thought that odd, but as we got into it, I realized it is brilliant!

COUNTRY: Tom finished the main garden...now on to bush beans and he is going to plant me an herb garden at the foot of the stairs from the deck. Yay! I LOVE cooking with fresh herbs. We went for a walk today, and discussed barefoot running. I told him you have inspired me to work harder at getting in shape to run... Thanks!

Off to get something useful done. I really just want to go take a nap. I admit, I ate too much at the buffet!

Last edited by Ellen; 05-04-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #13  
Undercover Diva

S/C/G: 242/ticker/175

Default Howdy...

Well I'm still alive - contrary to my wishes some days but things are okay for the time being... I'm trying to learn to put one foot in front of the other and move forward, but it's just not easy. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers over the last 3 months for me and my oldest son at times they have been the only thing holding us together I'm sure. This will be my first Mother's Day without a silly homemade card and a goofy smile from my sweet Drew and I hope the day isn't as hard as I'm bracing for. Thirteen years was nowhere near long enough with that precious child...

So - on the two month anniversary of Drew's death, Corey - my 19 year old - falls and breaks his ankle. After 2 weeks in a cast the break was WORSE and he had surgery last Monday to get a plate and 5 screws put in. He had a recheck yesterday and they'll take out his 11 staples and recast it on Monday next week. We are looking at another 6-8 weeks before he can walk without anything but a shoe again.

THEN - the Tornados in North Alabama were about 4 miles from my house. My community is in total distress, people I know and care about have lost everything they own and it's just such a horrific time for all of our community.

I'm stressed the HECK out so obviously - my eating is crap. I either go days without eating or I gorge on junk. There is no rhyme or reason to it either... I don't eat on sad days or starve on sad days... I just either feel like eating or I don't. I haven't been back to the gym either. I just went back to work about a week and a half ago and I'm just trying to do one thing at a time.

I got on the scale yesterday and it said 226... I'm not even sure what my ticker is at but I do know in January I was at 242 so I'm not above my all time high.

I'm trying to get motivated to lose some weight and feel better... I know that if I start eating better I'll feel better physically which may help emotionally as well especially since I'll feel better about myself. I'm planning to start back to the gym next week... but yanno, I either will or I won't. At this point I'm just taking one day at a time and doing what I feel I can manage. The only thing I do regularly is work (now) and Grief Support Group on Thursday nites, and I'm just gonna be okay with that.

The one thing that I can and will begin to control better is my eating and food choices. Beginning today... because so far today I actually haven't had anything but coffee with splenda and water. I know I should eat but this is one of those I just don't really feel like it days. On the flip side at least I haven't eaten anything off plan yet...LOL.

Anyway - I just wanted to touch base and let you all know I'm still around. I'll be trying to keep in touch more on here I know several of you have been contacting me on Facebook and I appreciate it.

Hope everyone is doing well... I'll check in again soon, hopefully with positive things to report!
Beth2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good afternoon

Howdy ya'll. The scales were up a bit this morning but I'm not doing anything different so I guess I'll just be okay with it. I told my hubby I have too or it is going to drive me crazy worrying about all the fluctuations.

I planted some mustard and swiss chard today. It is a little later than normal but I'm hoping it is not too late. I just noticed this afternoon that the green beans are getting really close. Maybe I'll be able to eat some this weekend.

Toni..woo hoo on losing another pound!!! You are doing so good.

Solly...sorry your leg is still bothering you but glad you are starting to feel better.

Ellen..so sorry that your kitty isn't doing well. Too cool about the running. I hope you like it. I told my daughter my on my last run I actually like it for the first time. At least until I got near the end.

Mercee...good to see you back at the board. We've missed you.

Beth....good to see you lady. You are doing a great job with all that you have going on. So glad you weren't hurt by the storms. My daughter just got her lights on the other day. I'm not sure if her school is open yet or not. She is in the Ft. Payne area.

((Everybody))

Love and hugs,
Crystle
CountryMom4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #15  

I remembered to weigh this morning...and despite two big Indian meals I held on to my three pound loss.

I accidentally picked up the wrong bag of rice at the store. I meant to get a 10 pound bag of brown basmati, but I did not realize until I opened it that it was white basmati. It is honestly the best basmati I have ever had. But in an attempt to use it up I made Indian Rice Pudding for potluck at church last night. There was a small crowd, and as potlucks go sometimes, there were a lot of desserts. I have a lot left over. So, rice pudding is what is for breakfast....

I have women's circle meeting at church this morning. I will go walk after it. My walking buddy is going with me to circle. I hope she likes it.

BETH: I am delighted to see you back here. Been praying for you and Corey. I was very relieved that the tornadoes were a ways away from you. And I am very glad you have power back. I am going to be praying for you on Mother's Day.