Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252.2/ticker/126

Height: 5'2

Default Ankle Strengthening Exercises (recovering from sprain)

Does anyone have any really good ankle strengthening exercises?

I'm recovering from a sprained ankle, it will be two weeks this weekend. It still is a little puffy and I only notice it when walking down stairs. I was in my dorm doing laundry and was being all healthy by taking the stairs (I live on the fourth floor). My basket was super heavy--brim full w/ a pair of wet jeans and a new bottle of detergent . . . and I missed the last step on the landing. Ouch. I've sprained this same ankle about every year. This time wasn't so bad, since it was an inversion sprain (usually I curl it).

I've been doing the whole write the alphabet thing (I do it in class--keeps me awake ). But I think it's strong enough to do something more intensive. Considering my history of sprains, I should have been doing them all along . . . well I've learned my lesson. Hopefully, with strengthening and losing all this extra weight, sprains will be a thing of the past!

Last edited by shepherdgirl; 04-28-2011 at 04:44 PM.
shepherdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #2  

Depending on how severe the sprain, give it more rest, elevation and ice no more than 20 minutes. Wrap it with ace bandage during the day's activity.

Once you feel more confident and less swelling, stand on the flat side of a BOSU ball. First, holding the wall, with two feet. Graduate to one foot. Graduate to one foot and point and flex the toes. Graduate to with a partner on his/her BOSU ball, throw a medicine ball back and forth to one another.

This can also be done on a plastic disc. Both are sold in general stores.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

When I severely sprained my ankle a couple years ago, my doc told me that it is not the ankle that is weak, but rather that the electrical signal between ankle and brain isn't efficient. He had me do these exercise.

Balance on one foot. With the other foot tap your toe to the ground in front, to the right, to the left and behind you. With your eyes closed. Hold on to something if falling is a risk. Switch feet.

Balance on one foot. With the other foot in the air, "write" the alphabet from a-z. Switch feet.

There's also a ton of balance moves in yoga that strengthen the ankle and improve the electrical signal from ankle to brain and back.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I managed to sprain both of my ankles my last season playing soccer. It was spectacular, really.

Wait until the pain is all the way gone before starting- but balance boards are a life saver. BOSUs are pretty expensive (though worth it!) so if it's out of the budget, buy one of the ltitle wobble disc balnce board type things- you can usually find them at walmart or even ross, etc. for under 20 bucks. Then- stand on it. I used to put my laptop on my bed (it was raised up to fit my dresser under it) and stand on my balance board while I typed papers, etc. It significantly improved my balance, and my ankle strength. I haven't had issues with spraining since, and I've even rolled it a couple times in some particularly awesome ways.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Sounds like there were several issues that caused the sprain. I agree with advice given by everyone else...sounds like some neuromuscular issues (brain talk with muscle) could be the underlying cause of the 'weak ankle" as well as the fact that most of us could use balance/stability improvement. Throw in a basketful of laundry and not being able to see the last step...yep. Bad news. Could happen to many of us.

I like the idea that you were trying to be all healthy and take the stairs but just keep in mind that strength training is usually most successful when we are mindful of what we are doing...and can SEE over the laundry basket. I'm only teasing because I so could do this myself. I have a history of clumbsiness inside and outside the gym.

LET THE SWELLING GO DOWN before you do anything else. Completely. Little puffy..nix the idea of doing more work. Let it rest first just as Fitness suggested.

When you are ready, the balancing suggestions are great. Also...consider some of the standing poses in yoga. These are great foot/ankle stability builders. Tree pose comes to mind but really any of the standing poses will do. Check out Yogajournal.com for suggestions if you are unsure where to begin or see if you can get in on a class through your university somewhere. Maybe you could take a class as an elective. (wish I would have taken advantage of that back in the day...) Best of luck. Sorry about the twist in your ankle. Those really hurt...
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252.2/ticker/126

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the responses everyone. It's almost back to normal now--although at my weight, it's hard to tell whether it's puffy from swelling or puffy from fat!

I had never heard about the neuromuscular issue before, but it makes sense. I had always assumed it was because my poor muscles couldn't take all this extra weight. I'm sure that doesn't help, but this explains why I have friends with a healthy BMI that have weak ankles.

Thanks to EagleRiverDee for the exercises and SouthLake for the balance board idea. I'll have to look for them next time at Wal Mart. (BOSU balls are def out of budget)

Lydia 227: Yes, I know. I've been taking those stairs almost the whole school year, though (with a full basket). The basket was really heavy this time, which I think caused me to lose my balance even further and fall harder. Also thanks for the yoga idea. Maybe I can find some videos or something online.
shepherdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW-213/GW-170/CW-194

Height: 5ft 7

There's a lot of connecting ligaments that when one thing is weak another is affected. I remember when I sprained my knee and eventually got plantar facitus (sp?) . The plantar strain was caused by the calf muscles being overly tight. Many lower body exercises will strengthen connecting areas. You've got great advice, but I wouldn't do anything till there's no pain or swelling. To your exercises I would add walking a length of the floor sideways. This works stabilizing muscles as well as strengthening.
phillygirl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote