Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/140

Height: 5'4"

Question Newbie here; starting 4/29

I love reading all of the posts, and feel very excited to start. Got my box of MF food today and would start tomorrow except that I travel for work and am afraid of being sick (headaches etc.) while out of town.

Does anyone have any tips for while traveling? Dinner is usually with co-workers....
stormsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #2  
finding my inner athlete

S/C/G: 252/207/150

Height: 5' 2"

Good luck! I just finished my first week, so I have no advice to offer about traveling on MF. I'm planning to be on MF during my Disney World vacation in October. No idea how I'm going to work that.

I didn't have any headaches this week. Just a couple of days where I was hungry and sluggish.
jenesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #3  

Default New Too...

I am starting on the 30th. I want to use my days off to get used to it. Got my order today.
SpinDizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/210/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for responding. I'm starting tomorrow and feel nervous. Nervous about being able to only eat that food...what if I hate it? what if I feel dizzy? headaches?

Good luck to both of you!!
stormsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #5  

Dig around the forum. Looks like there are tons of ideas for making the food yummy.
SpinDizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #6  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Hey ladies. Hope we can support each other and lots of other newbies. My box should be coming today, I only ordered 2 weeks because as I learned from nutrisystem.... getting stuck with a bunch of food you hate that you paid up the butt for sucks .

I'm planning on starting tomorrow. If the food is good, I'll go ahead and order another month, though I was looking at wonderslim and was told it tastes better and is cheaper.

Can anyone explain the VIP thing to me? I don't understand how I get 2 free weeks, or if there's a minimum number of shipments I have to order.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/218/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGreenSteen19 View Post
Can anyone explain the VIP thing to me? I don't understand how I get 2 free weeks, or if there's a minimum number of shipments I have to order.
The VIP 2 free week thing is as follows. You order your 20 boxes of any combination. In your shipment they put a 5 pack of boxes the first two months. 60% of what they sent me in the pack is stuff I would not have ordered. Mine was pancakes, pudding, hot cocoa, and I cannot rememeber the rest.

If your not picky I guess it's ok, but personally I will be using the discount next month instead.

Anyways, newbie here as well. I just started at midnight the first of May. I say midnight because I am an off shift worker and work 3 13 hours shifts from 7pm to 8 am. So figuring out my menu was a little of a challange, but I think I got it.

I hope we all have great success and glad to meet you all here.
wildgrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #8  
Pink Leopard Power

Thanks for explaining that!! Also good luck on the program!!! I'm only on day 2 but it seems okay. That is definitely a difficult schedule to sort of work out your medifast meals with.

So day 2... Pudding is pretty slimy.... pancake mix got too watery so I enjoyed scrambled pancake mess. I followed the directions!! I barely made it through the work out this morning, really low energy, had to DIG DEEP. Though I'm less hungry/lethargic today (I think that was mostly due to unrelated stress). The food is tolerable and a variety. I am pretty picky in that regard, so far, things aren't bad. Chocolate mint bars and soft serve are to die for. I could probably put up with this for a month or two - it's just that it's a bit expensive considering what you're getting, you know?

I think I could probably do the same thing with SlimFast dry mix and a container of body fortress whey protein (which, btw, a week of medifast = 1 month of slimfast). I am sure I'd lose faster with medifast since SF isn't too much concerned about your sugar intake... but unfortunately money is a big consideration when it's 1 week:1 month.

I really never buy the SF bars though - I mean they are good, but their protein content is low. For my glorified candy bar I turn to Zone Bars or Balance Bar (though they have less fiber). Also certain kashi bars are good too. You can find them at Wal Mart.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #9  
Pink Leopard Power

2nd day finished... was never really starving but always felt like "I could eat". Looked forward to every small little meal. This diet really would be hard for me 5 months ago, you need a really good will power or lots of motivation to do this I think. Not really surprised that people lose weight on this program though..............
Old 05-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #10  
finding my inner athlete

Good luck to everyone on getting started! It's amazing how good I feel here in week 2. I really don't have any cravings and have only been hungry at the times I'm supposed to be eating something. My energy is through the roof.

I just finished running 30 minutes straight on my treadmill while watching the news and Obama speech. The news gave me extra motivation I think!

I am doing MF through a center, so I have a tentative goal date of December 1st. To help keep myself motivated, I went to Office Depot to buy a large laminated calendar showing the entire year. I marked each week as a countdown to goal and stuck it up on my bathroom door. I'm marking off each day and will be posting my weekly pounds lost there too. It's kind of a fun way to keep track!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Reading. Learning. Absorbing.

I'm a maintainer who relapsed and can't get started back on my old weight loss program, so I decided to give this a try. My 4-week package arrives Thursday, but due several things, I'm starting a week from today (we have a 5k run Saturday and my DD is coming home from college for the weekend). Anyway, I told my DH he was doing this with me, so he's getting a box, too. It'll be easier for me as we work together and eat lunch together every day. This way I'll pack our medifast stuff rather than packing him a separate lunch. Dinners will be interesting (we have a teenage son who prefers pasta for dinner!).

Anyway, I'm excited to start! I need to get back down to my maintenance weight.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #12  
finding my inner athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Reading. Learning. Absorbing.

I'm a maintainer who relapsed and can't get started back on my old weight loss program, so I decided to give this a try. My 4-week package arrives Thursday, but due several things, I'm starting a week from today (we have a 5k run Saturday and my DD is coming home from college for the weekend). Anyway, I told my DH he was doing this with me, so he's getting a box, too. It'll be easier for me as we work together and eat lunch together every day. This way I'll pack our medifast stuff rather than packing him a separate lunch. Dinners will be interesting (we have a teenage son who prefers pasta for dinner!).

Anyway, I'm excited to start! I need to get back down to my maintenance weight.
Good luck! I know it's hard being the only one in the house. I kind of wish I had a partner in this journey, but my husband has a BMI of 18. Ha! Last night my husband and stepson ate McDonald's chicken nuggets with fries while I had a grilled chicken salad. My 10 month old son had some of my chicken, so I guess I'm not totally alone.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #13  
Pink Leopard Power

My DF could stand to lose maybe 20 or 30 lbs but he'd never be able to stick to this kind of diet. I don't mind doing it myself, but I know if I had a family I would really struggle with it. It's nice your DH is willing to stick it out with you.

The calendar is a great idea!!! Everytime I make a calendar though I always end up not sticking to it though According to my first calendar I should be 250 lbs now... lol

At home, where I live alone, I have pretty good willpower when I really want something. My problem is the peer pressure. I'm graduating from college this Saturday, and also having an end of the year celebration with co workers TONIGHT, and there will be nothing lean and green at either. Probably pizza and sweets. I will feel so rude not eating food at either, but I really want to give this a good clean 2 weeks to see what it can do. My mom was trying to ask me what kind of dessert I wanted and I just couldn't make her understand I didn't need food to celebrate something.

I am pretty energy deprived still, I am in decent enough shape which helps, but also moving out of an apartment which is exhausting! I so far really like the dutch chocolate shake, MUCH better than vanilla. The pudding remains to be my least favorite thing along with peanut butter soft serve. The hunger is controllable as long as you don't go more than 3 hours without eating and drink lots of water, and recognize the difference between just wanting to eat vs being hungry. That's about all the advice I can give to anyone looking to start.

Anyways if I can make it through finals week while moving on this program I think anyone can do it....

I'm still not sure whether to order a month of MF or WS, or if I should just take what I've learned and do it on my own. I'm perfectly capable of finding bars that meet the criteria and making my own powdered shakes and low carb pancakes. My biggest con with both continues to be the cost.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My DH could stand to lose 20-30 and I'm bound and determined to re-lose the 20 I've gained over the past 5 years.

When I lost the weight (for the second time in my life) I did it all on my own and at the time I was cooking for two teenagers! They had to adapt, that's all there was to it. Granted I'm a pretty resourceful cook and can make even low fat taste terrific. It's just this time around I can't seem to get going. I'm hoping at least a month of this will be the impetus I need to complete it. And I told DH that if I liked it I would continue with it until all the weight is off. I don't know if he'll continue or not, but we'll see. He's pretty easy to please.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I am starting tomorrow--my package arrived yesterday. I'm gathering all the information I can so that I don't have a "negative" first experience. I was reading that some people decide to start with oatmeal for first meal, first day, and are disappointed.

So, I just printed out some tips from the Medifast forum. Seems that for many of the foods, like soups and oatmeal, it helps to soak them ahead of time. Add 1/2 hot water, let stand for 15 minutes, add the rest of the water and stir, then microwave if needed to make warm enough for you.

I think I'll start my first day with a shake, followed by a bar for meal 2. And go from there.

Like alinnell, I lost weight (as shown on ticker) but regained in the last year.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote