Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 04-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/ see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Question about safe goals / weight loss???

I cheated on my weigh in today. I told myself I would only look at the scale every Monday so I wouldn't get easily discouraged. My goal is to loose 2.2lbs a week from 199lbs to eventually 135lbs. Well my first week I lost 5lbs. I assumed it mostly water weight and first week weight loss boost. That was Monday's weigh in. Well I cheated and snuck a peak this morning and in 4 days I lost 4lbs.

Everything I have read says I should ideally loose 1lb a week and my 2.2 a week goal is "unhealthy". I am not starving myself. I stay between 1200 and 1400 calories and eat 6 times a day using whole healthy foods. I haven't started exercising yet. I assume I will loose fewer lbs once exercising due to building muscle but I'm wondering, is loosing this much a bad thing if I'm not starving myself?

I want to be overjoyed that I'm loosing so well but want to be sure it is a healthy loss. Anyone else see this in the beginning of there diet?
Dog Rescue Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #2  
SiLly MuCh?

S/C/G: 200/193/130

Height: 5'5''

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I mean, heck, look at biggest loser, two pounds a week would be LOW for them. Everyone has something different to say on the subject. Some doctors say it's fine while others say it's not. I think it's all up to your body and how your body handles weight loss. For you, it might be normal to have this big weight loss two weeks in a row.
For me, normal is that the first week I lose a lot (this time around it was 6 lbs). The second week I gain back a pound or two. Then, by the third week, my body stabilizes a bit and I start to lose at a more normal rate. For me, that's usually anywhere from 1.5 to 2 lbs.
I say enjoy it. Stress can cause weight loss to stall

Last edited by Dilli Doo; 04-21-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Dilli Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I wouldn't worry as much at all for the first few weeks - that's when typically you'll see the biggest changes on the scale, but if it's still dropping so quickly after a month to six weeks, I'd reassess the calorie-intake.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Weight loss eventually slows. On AVERAGE you want to lose 2-5 lbs a week, so the closer you get the lower the numbers get. And really, 2.2 is not unhealthy at all.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I wouldn't worry yet, it'll slow down. I think the slower weightloss suggestions are to try to steer people clear of the all the quick fix solutions out there, and to encourage them to make sustainable changes.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote