Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #1  
Started Alt. IP 4/25/11

S/C/G: 200.4/191.6/165

Height: 5'4"

Default Is Anyone off IP and maintaining?

Hi, I have been reading posts and researching. Seems like everyone that I find that goes off this diet completely, gains all the weight back the goes back on the diet. That is a main concern. I do not want to be dependent on supplements to keep my weight off. I want to jumpstart, get the weight off, and learn what I need to eat from the grocery store in order to maintain. I want to be able also to enjoy my life and go out to eat with my family every once in awhile.

I'm afraid I am finding this weight gain issue with everything - WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystems, etc.

Any thoughts? I'm not knocking the diet, just concerned before I spend the money.

Thanks.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #2  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Its not that you "gain all the weight back". You have to watch what you eat, just like any diet. And if you don't, you will gain. Painfull truth. BUT - If you watch your weight and have a "breaking point number" (thats what I call it) a number in your head (lets say 5lbs over goal) you know what to do - back to phase 1, lose the offending pounds, then phase off and maintain again. You now have the tools to deal with losing the 5 little pounds instead of the 20lbs that snuck up becasue you weren't watching. Make sense?

Let me know if you need more info!
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #3  
Started Alt. IP 4/25/11

Thanks for your reply. I printed off the book and have been doing a lot of ready on the alternative products. I need to make some calls to a couple places in Wichita that offer these products and get the scoop on cost.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 5"

Sherbear, have you read through all of the phases included on the IP diet? Doing any diet and then going back to eating the way we used to will result in gain- no doubt about it.
One of the things I like about this program is the way phases 2-4 are laid out quite explicitly. Phase 1 is not the end of the diet, it is only the beginning! Learning healthy maintenance is crucial to long term success and there has been a fair amount of long term success on this board.
But yeah, chocolate and Doritos (speaking for myself here) are not going to be in my life after IP. Well, perhaps on rare occasions...

Can I make a bold suggestion? If you're hesitant to make the financial commitment, why not read the alternatives to IP threads and find a few products that you can use on your own. Try eating this way for a few weeks and see how it feels for you. If you like it, then maybe you can commit to a coaching relationship with more confidence.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #5  
Started IP 3 Jan 2011

S/C/G: 230/194/170

Height: 5'9"

My good friend has been off of it, or should I say, has been on Phase 4 for the past 2-3 months and has maintained it. Actually, she lost another pound the first month on Phase 4, and then maintained it.

Her friend lost 90lbs and has maintained it for over a year now.

If you "come off of it" then you will gain weight because that means you are back to your old bad way of eating that made you gain all that weight to begin with. You basically do not leave the IP diet. This is your new lifestyle. It is called Phase 4.
230to170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256.7/211/155

Height: Start Date: 2-18-11

I'm only going into my 10th week but can say for certain that this program TEACHES you how to eat properly to maintain, losing the weight has nothing to do with the supplements themselves. As with any diet, you have to be committed to making at least somewhat of a lifestyle change in order to keep the weight off. UNLIKE any other diet, this one TEACHES you just how to do that. Trust the program and yourself, it works Good luck!
ontariophotogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #7  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

I have been on Maintenance for 10 months and still weigh the same. This program most definitely works if you do not revert back to your old eating habits. I can never again eat like I used to. Can I still enjoy cheats now and then yes; but the cheats aren't the normal way of eating it is an exception.

IP was worth every penny and I love the new confident way that I feel!
carlasherea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #8  
Started Alt. IP 4/25/11

Cindy - thanks for the post! I have just printed off the entire thread of the Alternative Products and plan to read this weekend, as well as the book. I told my hubby about this and told him I prefer to do this over Jenny Craig. I promised to read the book, take notes, read the alternatives and then see about doing this on my own for awhile.

Funny, I had thought about my Six Week Body Makeover stuff too - I lost 40 pounds on that in 2004 - hit 145, then hit 165 by 2005 but was at that until 2008 when I was pregnant with my son. I'm now at 198 and I want that 165 back (I still have all my clothes, lol)
Old 04-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #9  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
Cindy - thanks for the post! I have just printed off the entire thread of the Alternative Products and plan to read this weekend, as well as the book. I told my hubby about this and told him I prefer to do this over Jenny Craig. I promised to read the book, take notes, read the alternatives and then see about doing this on my own for awhile.

Funny, I had thought about my Six Week Body Makeover stuff too - I lost 40 pounds on that in 2004 - hit 145, then hit 165 by 2005 but was at that until 2008 when I was pregnant with my son. I'm now at 198 and I want that 165 back (I still have all my clothes, lol)
I also did the Six Week Body Makeover - if you can do that - this will be a cakewalk for you, trust me. Dig out some of your old recipes from the program though, I used quite a few.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #10  
Started IP 9/1/10

S/C/G: 240/215/pregnant

Height: 5'8"

Just a reminder this is not a diet...it is a lifestyle change. If you want to go back to your old lifestyle and weight, then go back to your old eating habits. If you want to maintain and/or continue to lose...then you must change your eating habits and have a new approach to fueling your body.

Hope that wasn't too harsh for anyone, and if it was, then you aren't doing this for the right reasons.
wyoangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #11  
Started Alt. IP 4/25/11

I agree. A lifestyle change it is. I think my biggest issue was having another child at 39 years old and nothing bounces back and that has been hard for me. I have tried several diets the last couple of years but nothing works. That being said, I refuse to give up my mexican food out to dinner date with my husband every once in awhile or a beer during the summer.

I can do it initially but not for life!!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #12  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
I agree. A lifestyle change it is. I think my biggest issue was having another child at 39 years old and nothing bounces back and that has been hard for me. I have tried several diets the last couple of years but nothing works. That being said, I refuse to give up my mexican food out to dinner date with my husband every once in awhile or a beer during the summer.

I can do it initially but not for life!!
Sherbearjt08,

I lost 45 lbs in about 17 weeks. I have been maintaining for about 8 weeks. I am 54 (almost 55) years old and have been on just about every diet there is. I now weigh less than when I got married in 1985.
I took my Dad to a Mexican Restaurant for lunch yesterday. It was easy to eat there. Did I have chips? No, but I did not walk out of there feeling deprived at all. If I remember correctly, Dr. Tran even suggests a glass of wine at night and it is not considered a slip. (Correct me if I am wrong Ladies)
I am confident I can do this "for life". I know what to do if I overeat so I will not put on weight. I am determined not to let my weight rule my life. This forum is a great place to get inspiration. Good luck & welcome aboard.

Lynn

Last edited by woolberger; 04-22-2011 at 12:02 AM.
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #13  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

What timing!
Today is my one year anniversary of starting IP.

I lost 40 pounds in just under 4 months and have been on phase 4 since last August. I still weigh the same as I did the day I moved to phase 4, but I have gone up and down by about 2 pounds, which is my self-prescribed limit.

Being permanently successful on IP is all about committing to eating differently for the rest of your life. No kidding. Really. Forever.

But that does not mean feeling deprived or eating in some measly fashion. It means changing the foods that you value.

I look at it this way...we were not BORN liking pie, or mashed potatoes or bread or candy. We acquired those tastes because when we ate them we learned to associate them with being happy. Family meals....holidays...mom saying "good girl"...big desserts as a "reward"...etc. So over time we learned that we valued those foods.

IP is a chance to break that conditioning and really, consciously CHOOSE what you want to eat for the rest of your life, instead of numbly eating what you were programmed to like (and what is often not very good for you).

Mexican food? no problem...but I usually pass on the rice and beans and treat myself to more corn tortillas because I took the time to decide which of those flavors I actually liked and which I was eating as "habit".

I may have a couple glasses of wine once in awhile (which used to be more like a cheap 1/2 bottle with dinner 2-3 times a week), but I'd rather have a martini made with a high quality gin, and save the carbs. Or wait and buy a really nice bottle of wine to drink, and savor the flavor.

The biggest thing I learned on IP was how to "spend" my food wisely to be sure I am eating healthy AND never feeling deprived. It has to be both or it won't last...you can't go through your life feeling deprived. BUT you can take the time and make the effort to find out what you really WANT instead of thinking that all your old habits are the only way you will ever be happy.

I am pretty sure I will never go back to eating the way I used to, because I am so happy to be this new me. I actually prefer my celery root/cauliflower fauxtatoes to potatoes, they are lighter and taste better. If I don't have at least one salad a day, I start to feel sloggy. And I am still having fun experimenting with new ingredients and recipes (I LOVE to cook and I am a total foodie).

As you can tell, I am a firm believer in IP. If you don't hear enough folks on this forum who can attest to maintenance, it is because most of them get their wings on and fly, once they feel ready to move on. But in the 12 months I've been around, I've had the honor to meet many who have moved successfully to maintenance (and I'm FB buddies with some of them, so I know they are happy with their lives). And I've been amazed by many, many truly amazing women and men here who are smart and dedicated and compassionate who may not have gotten to maintenance yet, but I have no doubt will succeed once they do.

If you decide to pursue IP you can be sure there will be lots of folks here to share what they have learned. Best of luck, whatever you decide

PS: I'm 53 and it worked for me!

Last edited by Rocky Monarch; 04-22-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Rocky Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #14  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

Rocky - you are brilliant - as always. Happy Anniversary!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 238/154/150

Height: 5'7" Started IP 07/19/2010

Default Talk about timing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
What timing!
Today is my one year anniversary of starting IP.

I lost 40 pounds in just under 4 months and have been on phase 4 since last August. I still weigh the same as I did the day I moved to phase 4, but I have gone up and down by about 2 pounds, which is my self-prescribed limit.

Being permanently successful on IP is all about committing to eating differently for the rest of your life. No kidding. Really. Forever.

But that does not mean feeling deprived or eating in some measly fashion. It means changing the foods that you value.

I look at it this way...we were not BORN liking pie, or mashed potatoes or bread or candy. We acquired those tastes because when we ate them we learned to associate them with being happy. Family meals....holidays...mom saying "good girl"...big desserts as a "reward"...etc. So over time we learned that we valued those foods.

IP is a chance to break that conditioning and really, consciously CHOOSE what you want to eat for the rest of your life, instead of numbly eating what you were programmed to like (and what is often not very good for you).

Mexican food? no problem...but I usually pass on the rice and beans and treat myself to more corn tortillas because I took the time to decide which of those flavors I actually liked and which I was eating as "habit".

I may have a couple glasses of wine once in awhile (which used to be more like a cheap 1/2 bottle with dinner 2-3 times a week), but I'd rather have a martini made with a high quality gin, and save the carbs. Or wait and buy a really nice bottle of wine to drink, and savor the flavor.

The biggest thing I learned on IP was how to "spend" my food wisely to be sure I am eating healthy AND never feeling deprived. It has to be both or it won't last...you can't go through your life feeling deprived. BUT you can take the time and make the effort to find out what you really WANT instead of thinking that all your old habits are the only way you will ever be happy.

I am pretty sure I will never go back to eating the way I used to, because I am so happy to be this new me. I actually prefer my celery root/cauliflower fauxtatoes to potatoes, they are lighter and taste better. If I don't have at least one salad a day, I start to feel sloggy. And I am still having fun experimenting with new ingredients and recipes (I LOVE to cook and I am a total foodie).

As you can tell, I am a firm believer in IP. If you don't hear enough folks on this forum who can attest to maintenance, it is because most of them get their wings on and fly, once they feel ready to move on. But in the 12 months I've been around, I've had the honor to meet many who have moved successfully to maintenance (and I'm FB buddies with some of them, so I know they are happy with their lives). And I've been amazed by many, many truly amazing women and men here who are smart and dedicated and compassionate who may not have gotten to maintenance yet, but I have no doubt will succeed once they do.

If you decide to pursue IP you can be sure there will be lots of folks here to share what they have learned. Best of luck, whatever you decide

PS: I'm 53 and it worked for me!
Rocky, your post is so inspiring. I don't post much but read fairly regularly. Been on IP since mid July and am now in phase 2 going to phase 3. The last 3 mos has been extremely slow but I kept chinking away, 1 lb at a time. I have been working out alot which slowed the weight loss but I love the toned look and muscle I have, so for me the slower loss was worth it.
Anyway, planning to be in maint. by May 12th, just in time for a dream vacation. We will be gone for 17 days and have opportunity for many many splurges. I have been trying to wrap my head around how this vacation will be different. I do not want to gain. Your post inspires me to to look at food and my vacation differently. I am going to print it off and take it with me. If this diet is going to be different than all of the others, I CANNOT go back to eating the way that I always have. Doing things the way I always have before WILL produce the SAME results! Doing things a NEW way will produce different results.
btw trying on size 8 shorts and having to go back out and get size 6 is pretty motivating!!
lilblackdress is offline   Reply With Quote