Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/155/140

Height: 5'6" Age (50)

Default Is that really me????

I had a strange thing happen last night while trying on clothes in a dressing room. I looked up and saw this slim beautiful woman in the mirror. I could truly see the weight loss for the FIRST TIME. It kind of blew my mind. Am I THAT girl? Holy crap. It's like my body in my minds eye is fixed at 210 lbs, but the woman in the mirror is a slim 145. Is this for real? I just don't believe the image in the mirror. Have any of you had this same experience?
MiniMeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Oh yes indeed. How exciting for you! I love that. :-) Be careful, though, you're going to become obsessed with looking at your reflection. haha! I've been called out on it once or twice. :P
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #3  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

minime-

Well, sort of, in a different way. Last week I caught a view of myself on the Walmart security camera in customer service. I looked up, saw myself, and didn't realize it was me. I kept wondering why I couldn't see myself, figured it must have been pointed in the wrong direction, and then I couldn't figure out where the skinny woman with the orange sweater was standing. No kidding.

It takes quite a while for our mind to catch up with our body, especially if the weight loss has been quick.

Enjoy it. Look at yourself and marvel often. You've done great. You deserve it girl.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #4  

I haven't lost all that much weight yet, but sometimes when I look in the mirror I get a little confused. I should be looking at a wider person, not one so thin. Funny, isn't it?

And when I have to toss out some baggy clothes I wonder why I ever bought such baggy clothes in the first place. I still think the clothes stretched as they got older. LOL

The clothes I wear now are all too tight, so most of the time I am down. I keep thinking I am not losing any weight at all. And I have lost over 35 pounds. But as long as I am wearing tight fitting clothes.. I still figure I haven't lost a pound.

The mind is a funny thing.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

This comment below makes me laugh because I keep thinking that all these tops that I have tried so desperately to shrink look all stretched out on me. I just bought them before I started losing weight so they aren't that old but I was thinking that they weren't nice enough to donate. LOL I guess they are just too big for "me" because my eyes and mind have not wrapped itself around my new size yet.

I freaking love shopping, though. I have gone WILD with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLINA View Post
I haven't lost all that much weight yet, but sometimes when I look in the mirror I get a little confused. I should be looking at a wider person, not one so thin. Funny, isn't it?

And when I have to toss out some baggy clothes I wonder why I ever bought such baggy clothes in the first place. I still think the clothes stretched as they got older. LOL

The clothes I wear now are all too tight, so most of the time I am down. I keep thinking I am not losing any weight at all. And I have lost over 35 pounds. But as long as I am wearing tight fitting clothes.. I still figure I haven't lost a pound.

The mind is a funny thing.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/155/140

Height: 5'6" Age (50)

Prism...I've gone a little crazy with the shopping too. It is so fun to buy pretty clothes now. I was just telling my daughter the other day that she and I are getting to the point with our weight loss where we can buy just about anything and look good in it. What an amazing feeling.
MiniMeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

It truly is an amazing feeling. I have always neglected myself in the clothes department because I was so unhappy with my size but now I love buying pretty things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMeee View Post
Prism...I've gone a little crazy with the shopping too. It is so fun to buy pretty clothes now. I was just telling my daughter the other day that she and I are getting to the point with our weight loss where we can buy just about anything and look good in it. What an amazing feeling.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #8  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I can't wait for the day this happens to me. And I want it to happen in the same way it did for you!! That would be so great!

I am trying to get used to looking at my body and seeing what everyone else see’s. In the mornings I’d immediate wrap a towel around me after a shower, put on my undies, bra, stockings, skirt and THEN take the towel off completely. Then I’d put my shirt on and finish with my hair and makeup. But in the past couple days I force myself to do my hair and makeup in only by bra and panties. I just want to see something – anything – different. And all I can really say to that still is, I do and I don’t.

I think – I HOPE – in another 10 pounds (5 pounds from both sides of my hips and thighs!) I’ll see a difference.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #9  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

I do think one of the reasons (not the only reason) I gained weight was when I moved from my old house with lots of big mirrors, to my new house with only "face" mirrors, I didn't know what I looked like anymore.

I finally got a full length mirror and started to stand naked in front of it every morning. I even would use a handheld mirror to check out the backside. This I did while still fat. I was trying to "accept" myself.

Now I do it to see where I am headed.

I also take lots of photos as a way to see how I look with clothes on. I buy something new and I pose and my husband snaps the photo.

I can look objectively at my changes.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #10  

I kNOW Exactly how you feel! For some reason, I can't believe the person in mirror/picture was me. I have been taking pictures of myself lately, and I can't help but fall in love with myself!

I know it's very narcissistic, but after look ugly and fat for so long, you can't help but stare at your new self and be proud of yourself.

So, fall in love with yourself, it's the best lover in the world!
2hotinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #11  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

I know what you mean! I will catch a glimpse of myself and think WOW...that's really me!!!! Uh, oh...if it gets worse...I'm in trouble, my hubby already calls me "vanity smurf" LOL!!! I went out w/ some girls from my zumba class on Friday and for the first time ever worse a sleeveless shirt. I still have work to do, but I am having SO much fun working out (zumba and strength training). I am going a little wild with shopping too (bargain shopping, so it's all good!)...it is SO much fun to try on cute clothes that actually look good!!!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote