Old 04-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default What macronutrient percentages do you aim for?

I *know* that there have been threads like this before, but I couldn't come up with anything relevant on search. So feel free to direct me to existing threads

That said...for the first time in my calorie counting career, I'm actually paying attention to my macronutrient percentages. Before, I've always considered all calories to be equal. As long as I was getting enough protein, I didn't care. As a result, I was eating waaay too many carbs. So I'm experimenting with adjusting a bit. Not necessarily low-carb but "reduced carb" compared to what I was eating. Reduced carb and high protein. I may try to lower protein and increase fat, but not sure yet.

So I'm curious, what do you guys aim for generally? I know it's hard to reach exact levels everyday, but theoretically what numbers do you have in mind?

Here are my numbers for my current experiment. It's not based on any particular diet, really. I'm technically in maintenance, but I do want to drop a pound or two to be at the lower end of my range. I'll bump my calories up once I get there. Feel free to copy/paste and replace my numbers with yours

Carbs: 35%
Protein: 40%
Fat: 25%

Fiber: 30g
Sodium: Don't track it. I don't consume much salt, so I don't worry about it. When I know I've eaten a high-sodium meal, I'll expect it on the scale the next day and not worry much about it otherwise.

Total calories: 1200-1400cal
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I aim for 45-50% carbs, 30% fat and 20-25% protein. I imagine I will have to decrease the carbs and increase the protein as I get further along, but I am happy with this for now. Definitely WAY fewer carbs than I used to eat.

Also, 35g fiber and <1500mg sodium

Total calories currently 1360

Last edited by juliana77; 04-20-2011 at 01:05 AM.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I generally aim for 30/30/40 (P/F/C) but I'm not too concerned if it's a little off one way or the other. If my carbs start to get over 45% for the day, I do some tweaking - but if my carbs are mostly from veggies and fruit (I do 2, occasionally 3 servings of fruit a day) I don't stress too much.

Fiber - I really like to be at 35-45 grams, which isn't too hard.

Sodium - I don't really care about it at this point. I rarely add salt to food (the exception is homemade guacamole) and my blood pressure is on the low/normal side. That's a battle for another day.

Total cals - I'm currently all over the place as I a) Try to get the last few pounds off AND b) Travel and go on vacation. NOT a good combo! Ideally, I'm anywhere between 1200-1450 a day, with a daily average of 1350-1400 for the week.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote