Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 04-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #1  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Brain Surgery Weds./Warrior Dash Sunday

Hi all-

Another mini goal for me.

I had brain surgery this past Weds. to correct a broken lead in my deep brain stimulation system. I was being shocked intermittently and I was exhausted.

I was in the hospital until Friday because, I believe, the anesthesiologist gave me too much juice. I think he looked at my records from the last surgery in 2009 and gave me the same amount. I haven't verified this, but since then, I have lost half my weight. I have never had any trouble with anesthesia in the past and felt pretty good after surgery. This time, WHOA! I was throwing up and felt hung over for what seemed like forever.

Any way, on Sunday, I ran the Warrior Dash with my son, Zachary. We had the best time. I had to keep the incision on my head clean and dry (yeah, right), as there are 8 staples that won't be removed for 2 more weeks. The incision on my chest is covered with surgical glue, so even though it was caked with mud at the end, it was just fine.

I live my life now in an entirely different way than I did a year ago, sick, tired, and waiting to die. Now, the sky is the limit. At the end of the dash, I was muddy, filthy, and exhausted. AND, I've never felt better. I felt 20 years old, splashing around in the mud, and drinking a beer with the woodstock crowd.

Here's to life!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warior dash.jpg (43.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg staples.jpg (28.5 KB, 54 views)
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

That is amazing!!!! I am in awe of you! How do you feel now?
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #3  
Running for my life

I feel pretty good today. Thank you. My upper arms are sore from hoisting myself over walls, and climbing rope nets, etc. LOL. Other than that, not too bad.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #4  
is chubby

I hope you heel up fast It's amazing how you found the courage to do crazy stuff while still having sutures.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #5  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

You're a trooper! Wow!
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #6  
Running for my life

Thank you chubbykins and 4star! I appreciate it.

Apparently I should have named this post something more interesting! LOL

The only reason I post any of this stuff is because I figure it might motivate someone else who feels like they can't do certain things. I used to feel the same way, always making excuses. When I really figured out what I was made of, I had no more excuses. My life and health are up to me, no one else. It's a liberating feeling and way of life.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Honey, that isn't a mini goal, that is a major goal! And you aren't just tough, you are a total bada$$!! I am so inspired! Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by Streudel; 04-19-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/140/125

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with Streudel. That is a major accomplishment, no minor. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
yoyo mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #9  
Running for my life

Thank you friends.

I am very happy being alive and living a fun life. Nothing better.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180?/142/139

Height: 5"11

I wanted to chime in...this is an amazing accomplishment and your posts have indeed motivated me. In fact, today I ran for 80 minutes straight - and it is your posts specifically that made me switch from only doing hikes to doing jogs too. When I joined this site I could run for about 10 minutes max (and that would have nearly killed me). Now the only reason I have to stop is to protect my joints and because I have things to get done. Your posts made me remember how good a runner I used to be and how easy running can be. I'm getting back to that "easy running" feeling again - thanks in part to you.

I figured that if you could overcome a serious health issue and get control of your body, I could do the same and had zero excuse to not start immediately.

As I was running today on the beach (the paved part, not the sand), I thought of you (and a lot of the other ladies on this blog) and felt really thankful for this site. When I found this site I was ready to make a change and people like you who shared their story and encouragement gave me the last push I needed to not only get control of my eating, but to start moving and pushing myself physically. I'm not very active on this site, but just knowing that there is a place where people like you are taking the time and sharing success/staying focused has helped me. And it makes me feel really good about humans too.

So thank you specifically for your posts about running, including this one. You helped me get on the right track and I'm sure you've helped others too.
StephInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Wow...brain surgery on Wednesday and running the Warrior Dash just a few days later??? You, ma'am, are AWESOME!!! I'll be running the Warrior Dash on May 14th and may just have to use you for inspiration.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 182/182/135

Height: 5'4"

I just joined this community because of this:

"I used to feel the same way, always making excuses. When I really figured out what I was made of, I had no more excuses. My life and health are up to me, no one else. It's a liberating feeling and way of life."

Thank you for sharing, and congratulations on creating your path. You are inspiring.

xxoo
anew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #13  
Running for my life

StephInLA-Thank you so much. That's so nice to hear. Truly. Thank you for taking the time to write it. I know exactly what you are saying. If someone had told me a few years ago that I would be able to run for more than 2 hours straight, at a time, I would have died laughing. But it's TRUE! I can, and so can you. I don't have to protect my joints much, thank goodness I was given a strong frame. I have to protect my muscles b/c Parkinson's is all about the muscles.

When I ran my first half marathon on 3/27, the biggest challenge for me was figuring out when to take my sinemet. I knew that due to the extra activity I would have to take it during the run, and because I had nothing to go on, I just had to wing it. I am running another half on 5/1 that supports the MS foundation, but was created by a woman who was diagnosed with MS in the late 90s. Her doc told her "no way can you run long distances with this illness". She took that as a challenge and has created many health programs for women since that time. She has also run many half and full marathons with MS.

When I was running, a saw a girl in a wheelchair who was bent in half (literally) from an illness, very thin, but smiling like crazy and high fiving everyone. I saw a woman who (I believe) had cerebral palsy (or another similar illness), who was literally dragging her left leg along, and still smiling. I felt fortunate and thrilled to be alive and thrilled that all of my limbs still work. Not all the time, and not always in sync, but they still WORK. How could I not be happy?

Again, I appreciate your words. Keep going. Keep challenging yourself. We owe it to ourselves. Best wishes.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #14  
Running for my life

anew-I completely agree with this as well.

I started a thread back a month ago or so asking who else was willing to admit that they were overweight due to laziness? I upset a few people. I didn't mean to. Now, I realize I should have titled it, "who else is willing to admit that they've made excuses that have kept them overweight"?

I realized after reflection that I wasn't really lazy either. I loved to make excuses for being fat and not exercising, and not eating to support my body. Now I don't make any excuses for anything. Either I do it or I don't, no excuses, no apologies. Live your life to the fullest and you won't need excuses or apologies. Funny how that works.

Best wishes to you as well, and thank you for your kind response.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #15  
Running for my life

Natasha-You ROCK that Warrior Dash girl! Have you ever run one before? My gosh they are a blast!!

I felt like a little girl again, getting muddy and crawling through the dirt. Getting splinters and not worrying about whether I'd look stupid.

I'm excited for you. Let me know how you do, ok?