Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Nervous about potluck tonight

Going to a potluck dinner for a friend's birthday tonight and I have no idea how I am going to track my calories! Any ideas or experiences? Luckily this is generally a healthy bunch, although I do know there will be lumpia and I will be staying faaaar away from those!

Plus Easter dinner coming up next weekend, same problem, although that one is a little more predictable
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

The one nice thing about potlucks is that you get to take something. I find them the easiest of all dinner parties. You can take things you know that you can eat, and how to calculate. Just make sure you get in line fast, because it seems that when I take heathy dishes to potlucks, they are always the first thing to go. People really do like to eat beautiful healthy food when given a choice. Good luck and stay strong. You can get though this.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #3  

Thank you Lori, that is a great suggestion. I am bringing a couscous salad full of veggies and will calculate the recipe before I go. I am also bringing a few bottles of sparkling water to share so I'm not tempted by the wine
Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #4  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

That sounds like a great choice. I've often taken veggie trays. People have been surprised when even kids will dig into the raw veggies.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I am going to a potluck tomorrow as well. I'm going to bring a dish with me that I can eat a lot of if I don't see other dishes that are on plan and easy to estimate for me. I will also likely eat a half-meal beforehand and perhaps bring a snack as a backup so I don't feel too hungry. This has been my strategy with communal dinners, sporting events with lots of snacks, and dinners out in the past and I've been successful in staying on plan.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #6  

Argh so I showed up at the party and immediately a glass of sangria and one of those darn lumpia were placed in my hands - seriously. I am clearly a doormat when it comes to saying no in social situations. Blergh... ended up going over my daily cals by about 400. I even had CAKE - I was so frustrated with myself. I was back on track yesterday though (even went out to a restaurant with some other friends and ordered totally on plan) and the unsatisfactory weigh-in today (due to TOM I am sure, not an extra 400 cals) was punishment enough.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you go out and someone literally forces food in to your hands as soon as you can go to the restroom and flush it down.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Potlucks are the worst for me. I really need to eat before I go and use the event to socialize and not to eat much.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #9  
Yay for 2nd chances!

S/C/G: 235/needs a new scale/135

Height: 5'7"

Try not to beat yourself up over a few extra calories. Remember this is a life change not a crash diet. There will be drinks, cakes, and the occasional splurge with friends. You got right back on track so I think you did phenomenal.
Aiesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #10  
icz

By in large we are going to eat more at potlucks - it is part psychology, and part biology. I try to fill up with as much healthy stuff as possible, try a few wonderful things I can't live without, track, and move on. (And if possibly, move MORE that day.)
icz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #11  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

I agree with those who cut themselves some slack. I eat lightly beforehand, take a healthy offering to the event, and alongside eating my offering, have a little bit of everything I like. It won't hurt my healthy eating plan to have a little extra once in awhile, and by doing this, I can maintain my controlled eating ongoing.

My philosophy is that I have to eat in a way that I can continue all my life. By counting calories and having treats on special occasions, my eating is still in control but I don't ever feel deprived. Have lost 25 lb in 4 months doing it this way and I plan to keep it up. I am in my 60's and still able to lose the weight just as well as I did "dieting" more strictly when I was younger.

That's my view anyhow--others may disagree. Nice thing about this site is that we hear from so many people who can offer one another their ideas and experiences.
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #12  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

I agree with those who cut themselves some slack. I eat lightly beforehand, take a healthy offering to the event, and alongside eating my offering, have a little bit of everything I like. It won't hurt my healthy eating plan to have a little extra once in awhile, and by doing this, I can maintain my controlled eating ongoing.

My philosophy is that I have to eat in a way that I can continue all my life. By counting calories and having treats on special occasions, my eating is still in control but I don't ever feel deprived. Have lost 25 lb in 4 months doing it this way and I plan to keep it up. I am in my 60's and still able to lose the weight just as well as I did "dieting" more strictly when I was younger.

That's my view anyhow--others may disagree. Nice thing about this site is that we hear from so many people who can offer one another their ideas and experiences.
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote