Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #1  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

Unhappy I can't believe it- I'm obese.

When I lost weight a couple years ago I didn't even think about my BMI. But I was only about 165 lbs and lost all the way down to 125. Now almost exactly 2 years later I'm at 182. I still think I look good but seing posts about BMIs I wanted to check it out. I'm OBESE. I can't believe it and I feel HORRIBLE. Granted the cap for overweight is 30 and I'm 30.2 but STILL. I have never ever in my life thought about myself as obese. I kinda feel like crying right now...
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #2  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

don't sweat it -- seriously. when that term is thrown around on the news people who are 100+ lbs overweight are shown waddling around, so the images that you associate with the word "obese" aren't entirely accurate given that the category is so broad. not only that, but there's a lot that BMI can't tell you.

here's what matters: you still think you look good. from what i see in your avatar, you're a very pretty lady. you only have 35 lbs to lose. don't feel bad over something that's so arbitrary!
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I really think BMIs should be banned from people's personal vocabulary as they were never intended for individuals but groups of populations. My soon to be 6 year old is "overweight" for BMI, but that's because he's built like a tank. BMIs do not take into account outlyers or consider 'how' overweight or obese or whatever someone is. SOmeone could feel, "Oh, Ok, I'm not overweight any more. I'm in the normal range." Yet have higher body fat than someone of the same height in the "overweight" category.

I know that I will probably never get out of the overweight category either because I'm pretty sure my body build is an outlyer (or at least to be in the normal range I would have to be quite lean/thin).

So... don't give the BMI muich thought for YOU. It's meant for whole populations - thousands of people... it's a way to track the population's weight trends...
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #4  
...Live.Your.Dream...

S/C/G: 186/180/150

Height: 5'6"

BMI calculators are bogus girl! I am boarderline obese right now.. If I look obese then someone should let me know, because I am walking around like a super model!! hahahaha!!

Dont let that get you down, serious. The scale is NOT an accurate way to track progress. I weigh 169lbs, my trainer has the same measurments as I do(except hight) and weighs 145lbs. Thats almost 25lbs diff. Dont sweat it girl!
WendeeLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #5  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

I just did mine and the BMI calculator said even if I get to my goal weight I will still be considered "overweight" I think this is funny. I don't think that BMIs should be looked at unless you are morbidly obese then it can be used as a gauge to help someone get to a healthier weight. As long as you are healthy and you are a weight that you are happy with then I wouldnt worry about ti it is just discouraging
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Don't feel down. I remember when I came to the realization that I was in the obese category. I was shocked but I began to take it all very seriously b/c it sort of broke my denial that those habits. I am not gonna lie, at first the term felt like an insult but it's not, it's a simple term that defines anyone who is 30 pounds or more overweight, it's a tool that assesses risk. Given that it's a tool and guideline, there isn't much more that it actually does to gauge health so while you should give it some thought, it can tell little lies like dress sizes do and the scale does when we retain water. I am pretty sure that no doctor would tell you if you were close to the healthy weight range that you'd need to lose 1.3 pounds or whatever to match that BMI scale. It's merely a guideline and except from breaking truly obese people out of denial about their condition, it's merely a tool for risk assessment, it's not perfect but it's better than not having that tool IMO.

Are you actually obese with a 30.2? I doubt it. If a body fat analysis were done your are probably not truly obese. I can tell you though, me with my 32, I am obese and while not all of my medical problems were weight related, some definitely were. I can not deny that obesity has been hard on my body. I use the BMI not by a measure of success but a tool to help me assess the risk to my body. Only a full medical work up with fitness test can give you your most accurate gauge of health. Like everything, take it for what it is but with a grain of salt.

Last edited by 4star; 04-14-2011 at 07:11 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #7  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

Alright guys, I think I slept the crazy off.

I'm feeling much better I guess I just never considered being 5'5 that even at 185 pounds I would be obese- it just seemed a little nuts.
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #8  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

BMI. The bane of my existence. My goal is what it is because of this stupid chart! My initial goal was 144, then it went to 139 and now it’s 132. Because 132 is what brings me to the very top of this so-called “normal” range. I thought to myself, “I’m not going to work this hard to lose weight to still end up in the overweight category!”. Logically I know that obese, overweight and normal is subjective and there are so many variables. I wish I could get over it. I decided that when I hit 139 I am going to go to my doctor for a more accurate BMI test and go from there. But in the meantime, yeah, my goal stays at 132. *sigh*
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I know what you mean. I felt the same way when I did all my stats on the Wii Fit and suddenly my mii got fat and she was depressed. LOL
I felt horrible but then it was my motivation to lose weight. I would feel excited when I would weigh myself on the Wii Fit and see my mii get happy. Some how weighing myself on a plain scale isn't as fun anymore. LOL I know I'm weird.
You're on the right track though, you'll be fine.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAm View Post
BMI. The bane of my existence. My goal is what it is because of this stupid chart! My initial goal was 144, then it went to 139 and now it’s 132. Because 132 is what brings me to the very top of this so-called “normal” range. I thought to myself, “I’m not going to work this hard to lose weight to still end up in the overweight category!”. Logically I know that obese, overweight and normal is subjective and there are so many variables. I wish I could get over it. I decided that when I hit 139 I am going to go to my doctor for a more accurate BMI test and go from there. But in the meantime, yeah, my goal stays at 132. *sigh*
So true, My GW is based on what I was and where I was the happiest. I checked my idea weight a couple years ago (where they ask for your: height, weight, body build, and age) and then again a month ago. I was shocked that due to the only thing that really changed was my age (also my weight but that's obvious if I'm trying to lose it) but my ideal weight changed by 5 lbs! For my build (medium frame) my ideal weight since I was a teen has always been 130-140 but supposedly in these days they are adding age as a factor so now my ideal weight range is 115-125! That makes no sense. It may not be much but I refuse to conform to their ideals based off of age.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagalu View Post
When that term is thrown around on the news people who are 100+ lbs overweight are shown waddling around, so the images that you associate with the word "obese" aren't entirely accurate...
I think this is very, very true.

That said though, I do think BMI has its place as a good eye opener for many of us! I have learned through this process that our eyes have adjusted to all of us as heavier individuals. We no longer know what "normal" looks like! I'd like to re-word that...we no longer know what HEALTHY looks like. When we compare ourselves only to our heavier society, our vision gets skewed.

I would use the "obese" word simply as motivation to drop a few pounds and combine that tool with the tools that tell us our blood pressure, our blood sugar levels, our cholesterol levels and our fitness levels. If all those are in check, I feel like we're good to go.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
Don't feel down. I remember when I came to the realization that I was in the obese category. I was shocked but I began to take it all very seriously b/c it sort of broke my denial that those habits. I am not gonna lie, at first the term felt like an insult but it's not, it's a simple term that defines anyone who is 30 pounds or more overweight, it's a tool that assesses risk.
I know BMI numbers are not the end all, but I believe it shocks a lot of persons into action. The first time my Wii fit "informed" me that I was way overweight, it was a real wake up call and I could not stay in denial. When my Wii mii got in the normal category, I was like whoohoo

I do however agree that for some persons it could already make a fragile ego worse
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote