Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #1  

Default Calorie shock

I was reading a magazine at the docs office and it said you could have 10 cups of coffe with a tbsp of bailey creamer for 1 caramel frappe at McDonalds. The frappe had 450 calories. As of that moment, no more of those for me. I thought it was frozen iced coffee with a little sugar, cool whip and caramel sauce. Apparently it is alot more than that.
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I used to love frappes (and frapuccinos and any other iced chocolate coffee.) I still do but I never buy them anymore. They have more calories than a cheeseburger!
nomorenachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

I'm toying with the idea of making my own green tea frappes and lattes. The starbucks versions have around 230-270 calories, and are definitely not helping me to get to my weight goals. From what I know, all you need is the matcha powder, and some milk (starbucks of course adds a lot more sugar and.. stuff).
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I knew they were high in calories but wow that really puts things into perspective. Making our own coffee is a heck of a lot better both in terms of calories and cost.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #5  
SiLly MuCh?

S/C/G: 200/193/130

Height: 5'5''

I just make my own iced coffee and to me, it's just as good as the "professional" ones. When I feel like something more "frappe-ish" I throw it all in the blender. Mmm mmm good. Makes me want to go make some now lol.
Thanks for the post... knowing the calorie count takes away ALL desire to go get one :-)
Dilli Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Most frappes are pure sugar, it's like drinking a chocolate bar. I worked in a coffee shop for years and had access to free frappes all day long, and coincidentally, gained 40lbs in that time! I gave no thought to how many calories I was drinking!

My rule: view before you buy. I don't eat any fast food without viewing the nutritional information online. I don't make my own iced coffees, I still go out, but I get an iced latte (literally whole milk, espresso, poured over ice, no sweetners). That's it. I think that calorie counting allows us to go out and still enjoy fast food but at least be reasonable.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

i used to make my own matcha lattes - they were delicious. you can buy matcha powder at ten rens. they come in big green tins. but you do need a bit of sugar cuz it can taste like grass and i used to use splenda. heres a trick: in order for the matcha powder to dissolve, put a little bit of water in the microwave for a little bit so that its warm and then put the matcha in. THEN you put the cold milk (with ice). if you dont use warm water to dissolve the matcha, it will never dissolve in the milk and you get chunks!

the matcha powder that they use at starbucks has some kind of melon sweetening infused. at least thats what i read online.

i also heard that ice coffee at starbucks is really just expresso over ice and its cheaper to ask them for expresso over ice in a tall glass and then go over to their milk area and pour as much milk as you want! lol.. read it online but have never tried it myself.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/160/128

Height: 5.4

Mickey D's has calorie counts on the back of those liners they put on their trays. The last time we ate there was about two weeks ago... and after reading it I have not eaten there again. The calorie counts were off the charts. we totaled what we were eating and each of us was at 1200 calories.. without even trying... just the standard cheeseburger and fries. It's funny how by comparrison, you think choosing a smaller cheeseburger vs like a big mac... you are playing it safe. I think the safer bet would be to not choose mc D's at all..... even the snack wrap was 600 cal!!!!
HAPPYPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/198/150

Height: 5'7"

I make my own with my magic bullet or
the frappe maker I bought on clearance at Lowes.
Also,McDs iced coffees are low calorie,
a small sugar free vanilla has 60 calories & satisfies
my cravings.
beliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #10  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

The syrups and huge quantities of cream in those drinks are killer.

In any good cafe or Starbucks, they'll be glad to explain in detail to you the composition of the drinks. (I do this at my cafe - if you're going to spend 5 bucks, I want you to like it.)

However, getting an espresso over ice (not crushed) and filling the rest of the big cup up with milk irks me I feel it's like stealing because you're not paying for the 2 cups of milk you just took. Not to mention it's a pain to keep refilling it
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvenirdarling View Post
However, getting an espresso over ice (not crushed) and filling the rest of the big cup up with milk irks me I feel it's like stealing because you're not paying for the 2 cups of milk you just took. Not to mention it's a pain to keep refilling it
LOL. i kind of feel you here.. i posted it because i read it online somewhere.. but i have yet to see someone to do it.. i feel that if you did it, it would bring weird looks and it kind of is like stealing/taking advantage of the system.

but i guess key is, iced coffee at starbucks is just espresso over ice! and you can make it as low fat as you want by choosing skim milk!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote