General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution in LA begins tonight

I'm looking forward to it. Apparently the school district would not allow him to film at the school. So he worked around it.

It is on ABC tonight.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...ime-in-la.html
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/128

Height: 5.4

Thanks for the reminder, i love Jamie Oliver
HAPPYPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Just got done watching it poor Jamie looked was turned down right and left. Hopefully he'll be able to turn things around and change some minds. He really tries his best.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/133.4/110

Height: 5'2

I've watched all of the food revolutions - both of the UK ones and the previous American one. I think the issues are so so important but I really dislike Oliver's approach, especially in the American shows. I enjoyed his UK food revolution as I found it focused more on the issues and activism and less on making good tv. The American one seems to have much more overly-contrived drama and conflicts to make it into a typical reality tv show. I find Oliver extremely self-righteous, passive-aggressive and he always has this attitude of how he is being sooo persecuted. I also find him extremely short-sighted about issues of class, race, food deserts, education, how regional and cultural difference affect attitudes towards food and socioeconomic status in general.

I couldn't believe how disrespectful he was to the guy who owns the indie burger joint! I think the guy was very generous in letting Oliver come into his kitchen, the place of his bread and butter, and then he gets repaid by passive-aggressive comments like "am I wasting my time here?". I have a lot of respect for that guy. He didn't back down, he was blunt and honest and he didn't try to give a diplomatic answer just for the camera. I think he totally pawned Olive when it came to the milkshake thing too. Fruit and yogurt just isn't a milkshake, it's a smoothie. I'm sure it's a delicious, healthier smoothie but it's just not a classic burger-joint style milkshake and you couldn't call it a milkshake on the menu. If someone wants to get a milkshake when they go out to a cheap burger joint then let them indulge in that milkshake. Oliver doesn't seem to get the business aspects of running an indie burger place. It's not Hero burger gourmet burgers or one of his high-end London restaurants.

I'm also really not surprised that they don't want to let Oliver into the schools. I absolutely want to see activism focused on improving school food, but Oliver's methods are just so chaotic. It doesn't surprise me that a larger school board doesn't want him because the way he goes into a school is extremely chaotic and disruptive. It's like he really goes out of his way to create conflicts and be as disagreeable, argumentative and offend as many people as he can. He really upsets the cafeteria workers a lot and has been horrible to them in the past. He screws with their budgets so that when he's gone and they're on there own, they don't have enough money left to feed the kids for the rest of the semester. The other thing is that he gets the parents all worked up without discussing some financial and political realities, like how limited the budgets are and the lobbying powers of industries like corn and dairy. Then all these worked-up parents are going and complaining to the poor cafeteria workers and school principals who really don't have the power to change anything. Their hands are tied unless there is a substantive and systemic change in the way the American food industry works, but they will be the ones getting the heat from the parents.

All of this is just my opinion obviously.

Last edited by alicia89; 04-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.
alicia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia89 View Post
I couldn't believe how disrespectful he was to the guy who owns the indie burger joint! I think the guy was very generous in letting Oliver come into his kitchen, the place of his bread and butter, and then he gets repaid by passive-aggressive comments like "am I wasting my time here?". I have a lot of respect for that guy. He didn't back down, he was blunt and honest and he didn't try to give a diplomatic answer just for the camera. I think he totally pawned Olive when it came to the milkshake thing too. Fruit and yogurt just isn't a milkshake, it's a smoothie. I'm sure it's a delicious, healthier smoothie but it's just not a classic burger-joint style milkshake and you couldn't call it a milkshake on the menu. If someone wants to get a milkshake when they go out to a cheap burger joint then let them indulge in that milkshake. Oliver doesn't seem to get the business aspects of running an indie burger place. It's not Hero burger gourmet burgers or one of his high-end London restaurants.
I thought the restraunt dude was extremely rude. You best believe he let Oliver in because he knows that it's free national advertising not because he is a good guy. The man was extremely stubborn and close minded and wouldn't change a single thing about the menu but still let Oliver keep the cameras on the resteraunt no problem. I could understand the burgers but the milkshake thing was rediculous believe it or not a very large chunk of places that make milk shakes use frozen yogurt and if it's cheaper and healthier and the customers like it so be it. If you must add ice cream okay but you don't need like 3 cups up in there the one would have been fine. If you wanna call it a smoothie who cares just put it on the menu and see if people will buy it. I couldn't believe someone could be so uncompromising.

Quote:
He screws with their budgets so that when he's gone and they're on there own, they don't have enough money left to feed the kids for the rest of the semester. The other thing is that he gets the parents all worked up without discussing some financial and political realities, like how limited the budgets are and the lobbying powers of industries like corn and dairy. Then all these worked-up parents are going and complaining to the poor cafeteria workers and school principals who really don't have the power to change anything. Their hands are tied but they will get the heat from the parents.
where did you get the idea that he screws up their budget? i searched and i couldn't find anything at all that says that he does in fact i found several sources that said most of the districts he's been to continue to use the changes he's made without problem. as for parent's complaining its a good thing. they need to get mad. they need to write to their legislators. they need to make their voice heard if they want real changes to happen. that's what activism is all about and that's what you say the show needs more of.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #6  

You can start here: http://www.alternet.org/story/146354...ut?page=entire ..but there are numerous other articles.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #7  

And yeah, my opinion is that is that Oliver treats the people he is supposed to be working with like crap. He is very condescending. The burger joint guy had every right to be uncompromising. It's his restaurant! Oliver doesn't own the place, nor did he enter into any official contract with the place.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #8  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
You can start here: http://www.alternet.org/story/146354...ut?page=entire ..but there are numerous other articles.
While I agree with some points in this article, it gave me the feeling that the issue was being avoided.
Going after fast food chains, it's been tried, will always be tried and fast food chains arent in schools 5 days a week feeding kids.

Rude or not, he gets noticed and that is what is needed.

As for the gentleman that owned the restaurant, I have no more sympathy for him then I do for the people that go on Kitchen Nightmares. You've let this person into your place of business knowing full well what they are intending to do. If you want it as free publicity, fine, but when you've willing let them in - don't be spurprised when you get the same reaction you've seen them give other places.
Just my opinion.

not living in the USA, I honestly have to ask this - with everything seeming to come down to budgeting, what is the reason for not increasing it? This is the future of a nation and Ive never seen a reason why funding can go to art grants, ridiculously high paid athletes, politicians etc but they aren't willing to help foster a healthier future. It's really sad.
My question is not meant to instigate or offend, Im genuinely curious if there has been a reason other than 'funding isnt available' - why isnt it being made avaialbe or is no one told that?
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I've watched J Oliver's program about a restaurant with unskilled newbie would-be chefs (called "15" I think). I also watched the last US season of the Food Revolution. I have a great affection for the man.

Professionally, though I watch his tactics and strategies with a lot of frustration. I work for a city that has changed over the last ten years due to a huge alliance of experts, community leaders, and organizations. It was slow and very persistent change within and respectful of the schools, government and area restaurants. A major US foundation is behind the respectability of the program which brought in the initial participation of my city and we now house the program staff.

Jamie's expecting miracles in places that he has no relationship, apparently no community allies, and brinkmanship. The school and prison systems are kept on extremely lean budgets. The federal government is practically owned by the beef and dairy industry who palm off extremely horrible product to prisons and schools. However, the only way to really make change is through comprehensive alliances from the whole spectrum of the local community with a well-funded staff to accomplish all the admin, promotion, and organizing.

Jamie's efforts do not seem sustainable and undermines the efforts of those folks in the community that have been working on this. They could have told him who's who, what's what, history, the needs and challenges, and everything. Do-gooders with no skills, knowledge or awareness of collaboration and organization are really unfortunate to the causes they support.

I'll keep watching but I'm not sure how long I'll last as I can't ignore my background just for good tv. It's why I can't watch Biggest Loser. I can't see that its healthy or sustainable for the participants and it's too much forced drama.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondocks View Post
not living in the USA, I honestly have to ask this - with everything seeming to come down to budgeting, what is the reason for not increasing it? This is the future of a nation and Ive never seen a reason why funding can go to art grants, ridiculously high paid athletes, politicians etc but they aren't willing to help foster a healthier future. It's really sad.
My question is not meant to instigate or offend, Im genuinely curious if there has been a reason other than 'funding isnt available' - why isnt it being made avaialbe or is no one told that?
There are school measures on the ballots everytime there is an election. The problem is it is never for the cafeteria or food programs (at least around here). Even if it passed, the funds would be tied up at the administrative level. In our area, the administration is top heavy and the funds don't make it down to the classrooms.

As an aside regarding ridiculously high paid athletes - I don't understand why the teams want the taxpayers to foot the bill for ball parks, stadiums and/or arenas when they pay these glorified prima donna millions of $ a game. Keep back 1 Mil per player and they'd have the facility paid for in 1 year. Sure you can't take it back now that they are under contract, but think of the next prima donna and pay that guy less. Every team would be required to participate.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #11  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
There are school measures on the ballots everytime there is an election. The problem is it is never for the cafeteria or food programs (at least around here). Even if it passed, the funds would be tied up at the administrative level. In our area, the administration is top heavy and the funds don't make it down to the classrooms.

As an aside regarding ridiculously high paid athletes - I don't understand why the teams want the taxpayers to foot the bill for ball parks, stadiums and/or arenas when they pay these glorified prima donna millions of $ a game. Keep back 1 Mil per player and they'd have the facility paid for in 1 year. Sure you can't take it back now that they are under contract, but think of the next prima donna and pay that guy less. Every team would be required to participate.

Thank you, I appreciate the response.

Athletes, well that's just a huge pet peeve of mine, regardless of country. Police, Firefighters, paramedics, teachers, nurses, military . . . these are the people that deserve more than what they are getting. They give selflessly to a greater good in my opinion. I am also the one that gets effin irritated when I see these athletes 'endorse' after school programs, nutrition etc for the younger generations, but except for a few, none of them are willing to do anything but put their name on it and add their face to a commercial. Write a big fat check if you're that concerned.
Ok way off topic there . . . .
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #12  

Quote:
Okay sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but that author went on and on and on and on and I was working so I didn't have the time to read it in its entirety until now.

First of all the author seems extremely bias. I write blogs and articles for a living and I can see that less than three paragraphs in and I'm how any reader can not recognize that.

Second of all the author controdicts themselves. First they say that according to some document that isn't shown or referenced anywhere except vaguely to the government site says they were way over budget but ABC covered the costs and then they say that the school was saddled with unmanageable expenses. If ABC was covering the costs then the school would not be having that problem. If you look at the school menu you will see that a lot of his changes have actually stuck although they have made a few days for some of the more high calorie favorites like mac and cheese and pizza.

Jamie is already trying to begin to tackle the fast food issue so I guess the author should be happy about that although I doubt he will make much difference on the national level.

The comment about him showing the people how much they eat another pointless point since they have been doing that on british television for awhile in fact one of my favorite BBC programs You Are What You Eat has used it effectively for years. People need to be shocked into making changes their health is far more important then their feelings.

The School's aren't doing that bad thing obviously false so not even going to comment.

Yes schools should get more funding for lunches...

Liability excuses....

If kids don't want to drink their milk who cares give them regular milk or they can drink water. Sooner or later they will stop acting spoiled and drink their milk.

The governments standards in regards to foods are appauling so I'm not going to go off of that. They consider ketchup a vegetable for petesake.

Finally, the author admits at the end that they have no idea how many kids actually dropped out of the program, that he did have a positive affect on the school, and basically shouted outraged that he was getting all of the attention.

In short: Bias other who thinks he could of done better.

By the way check out the author's other lovel articles; More Pain for Devastated Haiti: Under the Pretense of Disaster Relief, U.S. Running a Military Occupation, Tsunami and Nuke Disaster: How Human Arrogance Intensifies Suffering, and Hate and Violence Are Encoded in the DNA of the American Right. :/
Old 04-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Are the soda companies still paying for the right to have their machines in the schools? I know there was some whoopla a few years ago about this. Seems Pepsi was winning the battle and had their soda and snack machines in the schools. The schools got a nice check out of that program. Whatcha wanna bet that not one red cent of that money went to the food program?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Are the soda companies still paying for the right to have their machines in the schools? I know there was some whoopla a few years ago about this. Seems Pepsi was winning the battle and had their soda and snack machines in the schools. The schools got a nice check out of that program. Whatcha wanna bet that not one red cent of that money went to the food program?
I don't know about the rest of the country but in Arizona they were allowed to keep the soda and snack machines but they couldn't sell soda or candy so they were filled with juice, tea, and sports drinks, and nuts, pretzles, cookies, crackers, beef jerky and the like.

Last edited by niafabo; 04-13-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #15  

I think the article has some bias but still raises a lot of excellent points. Any article is going to have quite a bit of bias, including articles that are just praising how great and awesome Oliver's revolution. And yeah, he is a very left-wing author so obviously the titles of his other articles demonstrate where is is on the political spectrum but I don't entirely see how that discredits all of the valid points he has made about flaws in Oliver's approach. I think we are probably in totally different spots politically so that is probably where the disconnect is but I don't want to get into politics on a diet forum. However, I don't see why you are so disbelieving of the fact that that Oliver massively screwed up the school's budget. This isn't some random sketchy fact that the guy drew out of thin air, it was a direct document from the school board as well as verbal testimony from members of the school board and people at the school. Sorry, but I just can't stand Oliver love fests because at times I feel that he does more harm than good. I know, I know, at least it's good that he is bringing awareness to the issues, but I feel that issues are being eclipsed in favour of making good reality tv, stroking Oliver's ego and playing into his persecution complex. That bothers me immensely. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I am still looking forward to watching the rest of the season.

Last edited by alicia89; 04-13-2011 at 04:42 PM.