Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Height: 5'8"

Default No words to express, just tears

All I ever seem to do on this forum is complain about my weight,
but I have good reason.
For whatever reason, my body doesn't seem to like to lose weight.
I truly think it's happy staying in the 300+ area. I'm not.
I'm so close to giving up.
I have tried so many things and nothing is helping.
My latest attempt was a low carb diet. I ended up with my heart
wanting to beat out of my chest to the point that I went to the ER.
My body was having none of it. So, I re-introduced carbs back in but
I limit myself to 1 whole wheat bread a day and the rest of my carbs
come from veggies, etc.
I have tried limiting my calorie intake to many different amounts:
2800, 2600, 2400, 2000, 1800, and now 1650. My weight will not move.
My thyroid is fine, no diabetes... nothing. I'm so frustrated. All I want to
do is cry. Here I am eating salads (which I HATE), eating whole foods
and nothing is happening. I don't know what else to do. I'm 33 years old.
Why is this happening????
Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/133

Height: 5'5"

Quit dieting. It's time for a lifestyle change. Read this: http://www.solidweightloss.com/.

Sounds like you need to change your mindset.

Good luck! x
jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Jynx may be right. Maybe you need to re-think your approach. Instead of trying everything under the sun, try ONE thing and stick to it. Maybe put the scale away so that you won't get discouraged if you don't see the weight coming off quickly. I have no idea what your current eating habits are, but I'm sure you know where you could stand to improve. Maybe focus on one thing at a time (i.e. cut down on soda for a week. Or start walking, even if it's only for 10 minutes) and try to build up some good habits to move forward from. Set yourself an achievable mini-goal, and have it not involve the scale if that seems to trip you up.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

When I first started losing, I did everything imaginable. I'd cut out soda, coffee, potarts, ramen, cake, brownies, started drinking TONS of water, forcing myself to exercise, calorie counting, carb counting- It got to be so much I just couldn't keep up. I didn't lose, either. I think I lost 5lb and that was it.

I picked one thing and stuck with it. Then I added another thing. So first I started drinking tons of water and exercising. Later I started calorie counting. Then I cut out my cakes and brownies and stuff. I probably didn't even need to do all that, but doing it one step at a time really helped.

I guess maybe your body might be confused? I'm not really sure, but sorry you're having such a hard time! Don't give up
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

How long do you stick to one plan - religiously - before you decide it doesn't work? Obviously if you are in the ER with chest pains then that needs to stop - but what about the calorie deficits?

You've been a member here since 2005, that's 6 years. Do you think you've done some serious metabolic damage from all sorts of dieting in that time?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I'm so sorry you're struggling.

Please keep in mind that condemning yourself to eating foods you hate and making yourself suffer through diet plans that make you uncomfortable are making it harder for you in the long run. The key is balance, and something you can stick to for the long-term. Have you thought about seeing a nutritionist? Maybe that can get you on the right track.

Please don't give up!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #7  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

It took me a LONG time to figure out how my body worked and what it responded to. I did WW, Atkins, slim fast (ugh!) and South Beach. Turned out my body responds to a little bit of each - except for the slim fast. I can't give up carbs but can't have a lot either. I can't eat a lot of red meat either. So I'm doing low carb (100g or less a day) and low calorie and that seems to be working.

Please do NOT give up. It is VERY possible to lose weight unless there is a medical condition that you just don't know about yet. Are you on any medication that can stall your weight loss?
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #8  

Height: almost 5'3"

Just wanted to share my experience of the beginning of my weight loss journey. I would read how so many would have large amounts of loss the first few weeks and then it would slow down some for them. Well, I could hardly lose a pound the first three weeks. It was crazy! I was measuring, weighing and counting every cal and the scale was not moving! I kept at it and increased my exercise and finally it started to go down. I lose weight much quicker now than I did at the beginning...more muscle? I don't know but that was my experience.

So hoping it gets easier for you.
joy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Sorry to hear about your frustration. I agree with one of the posters that if you start adding some exercise to your schedule, it will increase your metabolic rate for a while and your body will burn more calories on its own. Even if you start walking for 15 minutes in the morning and afternoon, it might jump-start your weight loss. Other than exercise, what works for me is eating 75% veggies (no white potatoes or rice), a couple pieces of fruit a day, a couple pieces of 3oz lean meat or fish a day, and no sweet or salty snacks like cookies or chips. I have to say no to them, because if I just eat one, I'm likely to eat the whole bag. I do like the 94% ff popcorn (mini bag), and (few)almonds for snacks. The craving for the junk goes away in a few days.
Whatever you do, don't give up!
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I tred all the different methods, too.I reached WW Lifetime, twice, the first time I didn't want to admit I had regained so I started all over again. I worked at Jenny Craig , I was earning money at Jenny Craig and able to buy food at a discount. and was not successful.I have done NutriSystem, Atkins and just about everything else. I lost weight but couldn't keep it off. This was not the fault of the various diets I followed.It was my fault for eventually going back to old eating habits and regaining what I had lost plus a few more each time. I finally decided that I was not going to pay money to have someone tell me what to eat. I started calorie counting and that was the answer for me. Calorie counting, is flexible, reliable and FREE ! It was the answer for me, it will also teach you how to change your lifestyle so you will have long term weight loss.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #11  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Check out my thread below...there are some wonderful recipes equipped with pictures. I am living proof that this does NOT have to be painful!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #12  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Have you seen a professional - like a nutritionist - for guidance? We all like to think we know what we're doing... I pretended to know everything and just wailed about how it was my metabolism's fault, not mine. Come to find out it was only partly my metabolism's fault.

I was as high as 340 and I lost 30 pounds with a nutritionist several years ago.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Kristy- first you need to look at what you want to eat and change it from there. If you hate salads you will never be able to stick to a diet with salads. Perhaps you could make a list of what you like to eat and we could give you calorie conscious replacements.

You didn't mention anything about exercise. You must just do a little bit extra at first. Just walk around the block once today.

It sounds to me that you are a little bit verwhelmed and gettng caught up in complicated diet plans. why don't you try one change at a time? Perhaps walk around the block one time for 2 weeks. Then after that incorporate another healthful change.

I am so sorry you are so frustrated but if you could just find what will work for you your body will see that it will be happier, too.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #14  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You know I wouldn't drop my calories below 2400 if I were you, at the lowest 2000.

What does your diet consist of? Are you tracking each bite? Are you weighing and measuring? You'd be surprise how off we can be when we eyeball things!

That being said if I were in you shoes I'd only worry about diet right now. I would only drink water, I'd skip fast food and eating out, and I'd prepare all my meals at home.

Have you considered something like Medifast? That might just be what you need- it's "easy" in the sense you eat 5 of their meals a day and then just make 1 for yourself following their guidelines. I used it this year and even my stubborn body lost (I have insulin resistance and my body is SUPER stubborn) weight

Also maybe a device like a bodymedia fit might help you? I use mine and that also helped me see how much I was burning a day so I wouldn't drop too low in calories- going too low is what hurts me the most.

Good luck!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I completely disagree that you cannot lose weight.

I would go see a doctor and see if he feels you're healthy enough to do a PSMF. If your doctor agrees you'll be eating 500-700 calories a day.

You will lose weight if you follow the plan. Believe it or not after a couple days you won't even be hungry.

There will be specific instructions to follow to ensure you're meeting all your nutritional needs which is another reason to be under medical supervision.

A PSMF is not a long term solution to your problem but it will prove to you that you're not a special snowflake incapable of losing weight. If I'm wrong you will be able to make a lot of money by allowing scientists to study your body to see how it manages to function off of sunshine, water, and air.

After a while you can make the transition to a more sensible diet and continue to lose now that you know you can.

For an example of a PSMF you can go check out the IP diet section of this board. It's not a PSMF I would suggest but it still works.

Also, if you're not exercising, start today. Walking is plenty to get you moving. Weightlifting would be ideal but I can understand how that might be too much to tackle right now. So walk. Today.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote