Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #1  
Guy on a Diet

S/C/G: 448/253/183

Height: 6'0"

Default Frustrated!

OK, this is just a warning, it's a vent/rant, just need to get it off my chest. I know I have to keep on trucking. I have been successfully losing weight for about 5 years now. It actually started as a health scare, I began losing weight without trying, but once that was over, I stuck with it. I started off at 448 lbs. I'm 5 ft 10 (varies a bit though), and a guy.

I have always been overweight since I was a child, I know nothing different. In a year's time I'd gone down to 300, and by 2007 I'd hit my low of 237.

Then I got ill with osteo-arthritis and swelling and began taking NSAIDs to numb the pain. In some people this causes massive water retention and weight gain, I was one of the "lucky" ones. Got all the way back up to 351 with the combo of NSAIDs and eating worse choices.

When I'd gotten "thinner" I had gotten used to the life of a thinner person and people treating me as human and giving me increased attention, but it also kinda freaked me out, which is the subconscious as to why I started eating more again.

Anyway, it took me months just to get back to 300 again and try to repair my metabolism. I had to stop taking the NSAID, but I got "lucky" lost my job and hence off my feet.

I finally got down to below 300 and then it seemed like I was forever going up and down the 280s over and over and over again. Now it's happening with the 260s and 270s. Recently, I went on a long walk and got horribly sunburned, and had to restart the NSAIDs, that spiked me up 6 lbs after a bit of eating from the low 270s to nearly 280.

I'm getting less sympathy now because even where I am when I tell people they still say: "well you're thinner than me, etc." lol. But it's still frustrating nonetheless. It's like my body is just hardwired to be morbidly obese and if I let off even for a second, it balloons back up like some one has an airhose connected to me like Violet Beauregard from Willy Wonka when she turns into a blueberry, except the male version.

When I got thinner, I'd made friends who never knew I was ever morbidly fat, but after I started getting fatter, that illusion dropped. I had a friend start to nag me all the time about my eating choices when her own weight spiked, start suggesting exercise, I had friends start to "take the mickey" out of me and make fun of me being fat or my hairloss, like it's the first time this has happened to me.

And, it's just driving me crazy. And, so recently I was reading a man's story about his upcoming WLS surgery, and he actually gained weight to the low 300s. Then he had the surgery and a mere four months later, he passed me right on by, my lowest weight ever and down to the low 220s.

Meanwhile here I am slaving away, yo yo yo yo yo yo, forever, going slowly, and just I feel like it'll never get here and even if it does, like I won't be able to keep it, even though I'm getting within 20-30 lbs of being "safe weight" where people tell me to "stop".

I'm just really frustrated, partly because being a fat child, it's kinda different than a person who has been thin all their lives and it's a new thing. I know no other thing than being a stigmatized almost non-human for daring to be different and big, it's all I have ever known. And, so when I got to a thinner weight, it was like I was toyed with to see how it could be, and it's even crazier than you can imagine for an innocent like me, protected behind my wall of fat.

So anyway, this is just a rant of frustration that I'm never going to get there and so very tired of the yo yoing. Even when I get into a nice steady pattern, it always bounces back because I have bowel issues. My body is happier eating about 2500 cals, but that's not gonna help my weight issue. So I'm just frustrated because it just feels NOT fair!

So just ranting. Thanks for listening, lol.
Thin Desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

"If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking." ~Buddhist Proverb

The fact that you stick with it and keep trying means that you will get to where you wanna be again one day. The fact that you have gone through as many challenges as you have and you just keep right on going is inspiring. Don't give up hope.

p.s. i get you about the fat being a protective thing. i'm still trying to get use to people acting differently and i still have a long way to go. i've found losing weight has in a strange way made me anti-social. XD
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/142/130

Height: 5'4"

Have you ever tried the Atkins Diet by chance? I hated counting calories because it seemed like I was always thinking of the next meal and I still felt hungry a lot. On the Atkins diet I can eat as much as I want of the approved foods as long as I don't stuff myself. The funny thing is that my appetite has dropped like crazy after the first 3 days. Plus, they have chocolate bars and shakes in case you need to take the edge off of cravings. Either way I really hope you keep on going- you deserve to be happy!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #4  
Happy as a clam..........

S/C/G: 268/178/165

Height: 5'8"

I understand what you are saying. I have yo yoed so I have seen "both
sides of the fence." The fat is a protection of sorts and I got comfortable with that. Being thin was a new thing for me also and although I enjoyed it,
there were reprocussions that were foreign to me and I was unable to cope.
( I say that in retrospect) This time I am doing it for my health and I guess
I will deal with the "whatevers" as they arise.
Don't give up, it will happen!!!
downsizer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #5  

I weighed 11 pounds at birth so I was fat since my first breath. I've lost over 200 pounds and kept it off with no more than a 15 pound gain due to meds for over 35 years. You can do it too. You've demonstrated you can lose the weight. The thing is, what you do to lose weight is what you do to maintain it afterwards.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

You have done well through all the battles you have faced! Some people cant take the **** life throws at them and just give up so good for you for just pushing on! Sometimes people think they are being supportive but still say the wrong things. For example My hubby was just complaining about being fat and his is 260 and 6'2 hes a lil puffy but nothing major. I said babe I love you and I have always liked big guys so I think you are just perfect. Well I guess that was the wrong thing to say because he says well I DONT LIKE IT! So I said I was sorry and just kept my mouth shut. But it wasnt a lie just to make him feel better! I think its just hard for him because even though he is very supportive for my weight loss he is still wanting to do it to. Its a lot easier for him but hes just gotta do it. Good for you for the strong will and keep going!
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote