Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/199/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Loss and Sizes

I know that this has been discussed a lot, but I'm wondering whether there's any way to figure out how weight corresponds to sizes. I started at almost 250 wearing a snug size 18. Now I'm below 220 and wearing a comfortable 16.

In the beginning of June, I'll be starting a new job that requires me to wear suits to work. I'd like to start shopping for them now so that I can see what styles I like and prices, though I won't buy until I can try them on. I'm assuming, based on my current rate of loss and the fact that loss slows a bit over time, I'll be around 200 when I start. Any way to guess what size clothes I should be looking at? It seems like there's a lot available in a 12 that isn't available in a 14 or a 16, but I'd hate to get my hopes up if I won't actually be there by the time I have to buy new clothes.
anna ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

No, unfortunately I don't think you can predict this. Your size depends on so many variables! And I know some of us lose in odd ways, like perhaps all of the weight will come from the upper body one month and the lower body the next. I'll often lose in my waist, but not my hips or vise versa, which makes buying and wearing pants rather interesting. I'd invest in a belt.

Also, how much lifting you do greatly affects the rate at which you lose and also changes the ratio between size and weight. Generally speaking, someone who lifts will wear a smaller size at the same height/weight as someone who does not.

I think it's going to be hard to judge what's going look good on you then too. It will change. I had a hard time getting over the fact that I didn't need an empire waisted top anymore! I gravitated toward plus-sized styles for the longest time! That style is no longer flattering on me.

I also think 16 is the beginning of "normal" sizes, so I think you'll definitely be in a normal size by June! You're already there!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

You're an inch taller than me, and I'm in a 14 now. All 14's don't fit, sometimes I still take a 16 and I even have a 12 that fits. Manufacturers don't all follow the same standards, some materials are more giving than others, some waists are higher than others, etc. etc.

Especially for professional clothes, I would try before I buy.

Good luck!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

You are taller than me, but your sizes are corresponding to my sizes. "I" will probably be in a 14 by the weight of 200 (if I follow similar patterns as 13 years ago), but who knows.

AND not only that, you can't know what will look good on you in 25 pounds. Your waist might get way thinner and cuts of things might look odd. Or the opposite - too tight in the waist and baggy elsewhere. It's just too hard to predict. You're going to have to wait, I'm afraid.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

You never know what size you will be down the road. I've sat at one pants size for 30 pounds before switching (16-14) and then dropped another pants size in 10 pounds (14-12) and for the last 10 pounds my 12s haven't really gotten much smaller on me. I think it depends a lot on your bone structure and where the weight wants to come off and that can be very hard to perdict.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

I agree, it just depends on where your padding is and where your body tends to shed it first. I wear a 16 pants, but they're starting to get loose. Hope to get into the 14's after another 5 pounds. Generally I can go down a size after 15 lbs, but it's more like 10 if you're a shorter person.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I'll agree with everyone else and say that it's going to be hard to predict.

But if you want to, go ahead and shop, but not buy. It may be pretty useful in the long run. You're not going to completely change body type, so you may be able to figure out what types of things work for you. I don't necessarily think I'm typical, but there are brands out there that just don't fit me, and you might be able to figure out that sort of thing. Not that this applies to suits, but I'm convinced that there's not a single pair of Levi's in the world that fits me well. And a couple months ago I was in Macy's with my mom and she kept bringing me things to try on of one particular brand and no matter what the style, size, cut nothing in that brand looked good on me. So I think there's a lot that can be found out just by trying, even if you won't be buying until the time comes.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
I'll agree with everyone else and say that it's going to be hard to predict.

But if you want to, go ahead and shop, but not buy. It may be pretty useful in the long run. You're not going to completely change body type, so you may be able to figure out what types of things work for you. I don't necessarily think I'm typical, but there are brands out there that just don't fit me, and you might be able to figure out that sort of thing. Not that this applies to suits, but I'm convinced that there's not a single pair of Levi's in the world that fits me well. And a couple months ago I was in Macy's with my mom and she kept bringing me things to try on of one particular brand and no matter what the style, size, cut nothing in that brand looked good on me. So I think there's a lot that can be found out just by trying, even if you won't be buying until the time comes.
This is true - for me Lane Bryant and I don't jive. Ralph Lauren's Lauren line and Jones New York and I'm beginning to realize Calvin Klein fit me - no matter what size. I tried on a dress yesterday by Adrianna Papell and it's like it's a tailor made dress, so I will now look at her clothes as I get thinner. But Bill Blass, Levi's, Lane Bryant, Target brand, and more - no matter how cute on the rack, just don't fit my body type. So, yes, you can look to find the manufactures that seem to work with you, but refrain on the size guessing. Only time I say buy that is if a $200 suit is on sale for $25. Then it's worth the risk (I got that on a dress yesterday).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #9  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I'm currently a loose 14, to the point where I can pull my jeans off without unzipping or unbuttoning them - even fresh out 'the dryer, lol.

I'm 5 foot 7, and I'm at 214 (as of Tuesday morning)... if that helps!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #10  

Hi,
You should weight to be as slim as your aim is to be..
Otherwise you would need more clothes for you soon..
Edwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I agree with the idea of shopping but not buying yet. I am the same way as zoodoo and berryblondeboys. Some brands work really well, always have and hopefully always will. Some brands, not so much. That part probably will not change for you either. Also, when you do buy I would suggest only getting a few suits in very basic colors and styles and get lots of shirts, scarves, etc. That way you can spend less money because if you plan to continue losing then you will have to replace the suits as you get smaller. You can get things taken in, but that can only go so far before they start to lose the proper shape and just look bad. I'd also stick to skirts since they are more forgiving and easier to take in as you go down in size than pants are. You can get more interesting suits once you are at goal weight. Congrats on your weight loss so far and on the new job.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote