Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152.4/138/125.5

Height: 5'4-1/2"

Default Coaches

I've been on the plan for 2 weeks now and have my 3rd appointment today. Maybe it's just me but my coach seems to not really know much about the program. She did it last summer and lost 18 lbs. in 4 weeks, which is amazing considering that was all she had to lose. But I'm getting the impression that she isn't too well versed in assisting with problems that may arise on the program.

When I have an appointment for a wi, she goes through all the required motions but when I have an questions, she doesn't seem to have any viable answers. It's kinda disturbing.

I keep reading on here about how most coaches are great. They come up with alternative plans for people training to run distances or work out, they help ween someone into a different phase if they are going to be on vacation, they help their clients with alternative food suggestions, they seem to be on the ball and capable to make decisions regarding any and all difficulties that arise.

Anyone else have the same issues with their coach? If so, how do you deal with that?

I will talk to the Doctor at the office to see if he has any suggestions. I have found this blog is far more helpful than my coach. I will continue to follow the program to the "T" and keep reading the ideas and suggestion on here.
lindacraig63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #2  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindacraig63 View Post
I've been on the plan for 2 weeks now and have my 3rd appointment today. Maybe it's just me but my coach seems to not really know much about the program. She did it last summer and lost 18 lbs. in 4 weeks, which is amazing considering that was all she had to lose. But I'm getting the impression that she isn't too well versed in assisting with problems that may arise on the program.

When I have an appointment for a wi, she goes through all the required motions but when I have an questions, she doesn't seem to have any viable answers. It's kinda disturbing.

I keep reading on here about how most coaches are great. They come up with alternative plans for people training to run distances or work out, they help ween someone into a different phase if they are going to be on vacation, they help their clients with alternative food suggestions, they seem to be on the ball and capable to make decisions regarding any and all difficulties that arise.

Anyone else have the same issues with their coach? If so, how do you deal with that?

I will talk to the Doctor at the office to see if he has any suggestions. I have found this blog is far more helpful than my coach. I will continue to follow the program to the "T" and keep reading the ideas and suggestion on here.
My coaches were horrible. They could never answer any of my questions. I would either ask here or I would as my in-laws to speak with their coach to answer my questions. I finally said forget my coaches and stop going to WI's and measurements. My measurements we so inconsistent. She would measure in completely different places, write down wrong numbers...etc. My second WI I got measured and she said I had lost 11 inches from my waist....there was no way that was true, she had written down my waist was 57 inches and that I was then 46 inches. My pants fit just the same so I was 47 for the first, not 57. Plus that was not correct either, I wore a 42 size jeans. This was one of many irritations I had with them. They just wanted money and that seemed to be all.

I just stopped going and strickly follow protocol and use all alternative products. I am doing just fine with my own research, asking questions here, my inlaws...etc. Find the information on your own if your coach is not providing it. Make sure you understand what you find so you do not cause yourself harm.

Good luck, sorry to hear you have a bum coach.
juiceman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 301/239/190

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindacraig63 View Post

I have had the same experience with my "coaches". They don't even write down my correct weight! They act like they are bored that I am even there let alone try to motivate me let alone explain anything. I don't know what I expected really, but it is very irritating.

My husband and I both go, and we are thinking about going it on our own. Besides, it is costing us a small fortune as you know.

Good luck and hang in there. I have found more motivation and inspiration form this website that anywhere.
mamabearone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

Most coaches are more informed than others, it seems. My guess is it may have to do with IP-coaching experience, and people skills. Your coach may never have been asked some of the questions you ask her, so she may be unfamiliar with them.

To look on the bright side, she could be one of those who gives answers without actually knowing the information!

Really, though, I think she should at least say, "Send me that question in an email. I'll look into it and reply or call you when I find out." This way you're not so up in the air.

Even for the thorough, informative coaches, many of them differ on little things here and there (1 tsp of sea salt or 1/2 tsp a day; using stevia vs. sucralose, etc). If you have any questions regarding something your coach tells you, or if she can't answer, I'd say check out the information packets you probably received at the start of the diet. You may have also received a Dr. Chanh Tran Tien CD (I dont' know if that's the same for everybody or not) that can help you, and there are books that are very helpful to have when on the IP diet.
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #5  

Wow I just read the other responses to this thread. My coach is new as a coach, she just recently finished phase 3, and if she doesn't know the answer to my question, she finds out for me. AND she's sooooo supportive and enthusiastic, I feel like I'm going to a pep rally at every WI! Lol! I feel like she truly shares my excitement at my progress.

Not all coaches are bad! Just to put that out there.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224.4/219.0/150

Height: 5 ft 4

I just love my coach, she answers all my questions, takes the time to read my food journal, measures me when I want, and never seems to rush me. She owns the gym where the IP is sold, and she seems pretty current with the new items.

She has meetings all the time, in ref to IP, and once a month there is a meeting for IP people.

I guess its like every job, some are good, and some just go through the movements and dont care. I dont mind paying and I understand about a buisness making money, but money can be made with happy clients!!

Last edited by locks; 04-05-2011 at 10:06 PM.
locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/165/145

Height: 5'2"

I am very frustrated with my coach as well, who is a chiropractor. I go there because everyone I work with goes to him because he pretty close by. He does no coaching whatsoever, his measurements are always off, and he is always out of my favorite things.

Today was the worst, though. When I got there, there were 2 people from work that i know there, although they were not there for diet purposes. The problem is that his computer is at his reception desk which opens into the waiting room. After he weighs me, he comes up front, and tells the girl at the counter my weight, in front of the others in the waiting room! My daughter says they probably didn't hear, but I did, and was really embarrassed. I went into the back room and told him how unprofessional that was, and I didn't see how I could continue going to him. He did apologize though.

His daughter told me that she was taking that over, since her dad was having a difficult time balancing his practice with the IPD business, and that she would make sure that there was no one else scheduled when we were there. I told her that diets are sensitive, and that it would be more appropriate to have the computer and the scale in a private consultation room.

She then measured me, and everything was way off from the way her dad measured me. In fact, I was bigger in some places than I was when i started the diet, even though I had lost 10 pounds since I started, and have gone down at least one clothing size.

To add insult to injury, I did not lose any weight this week, for the second week in a row, (first week it was expected; this week it was not).

Do you think it is worth continuing with this guy? My husband goes to a clinic out of town where he works during the week, and I suppose he could buy my supples for me. The problem is, I was looking for some coaching.

Thanks for your help.
CatinCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 301/239/190

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatinCali View Post
I am very frustrated with my coach as well, who is a chiropractor. I go there because everyone I work with goes to him because he pretty close by. He does no coaching whatsoever, his measurements are always off, and he is always out of my favorite things.

Today was the worst, though. When I got there, there were 2 people from work that i know there, although they were not there for diet purposes. The problem is that his computer is at his reception desk which opens into the waiting room. After he weighs me, he comes up front, and tells the girl at the counter my weight, in front of the others in the waiting room! My daughter says they probably didn't hear, but I did, and was really embarrassed. I went into the back room and told him how unprofessional that was, and I didn't see how I could continue going to him. He did apologize though.

His daughter told me that she was taking that over, since her dad was having a difficult time balancing his practice with the IPD business, and that she would make sure that there was no one else scheduled when we were there. I told her that diets are sensitive, and that it would be more appropriate to have the computer and the scale in a private consultation room.

She then measured me, and everything was way off from the way her dad measured me. In fact, I was bigger in some places than I was when i started the diet, even though I had lost 10 pounds since I started, and have gone down at least one clothing size.

To add insult to injury, I did not lose any weight this week, for the second week in a row, (first week it was expected; this week it was not).

Do you think it is worth continuing with this guy? My husband goes to a clinic out of town where he works during the week, and I suppose he could buy my supples for me. The problem is, I was looking for some coaching.

Thanks for your help.
I have gotten more "coaching" and motivation from this forum than I ever got from my IP coach. I think, just my opinion, that some of them are just in it for the $$. I hope that you stick with it, it does work. I really thought I was hopeless! Read through these pages and you'll get lots of motivation.
Good luck!
mamabearone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatinCali View Post

Thanks for your help.
I'm so sorry to hear that! If it were me, I'd see 2 options for myself: 1) stay and have the daughter coach me instead, and see how she is (she seems to be more thoughtful), or 2) go to your husband's, depending how far away it is.

I don't have an IP place in the town where I live, OR the town where I work. I have to go to yet another town for IP WI's and meeting with my coach! :-O
Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 152.4/138/125.5

Height: 5'4-1/2"

Quote:

Thanks for your help.
I really feel for you! I'm with CatinCali on this one, give his daughter a chance 1st. Hopefully being a woman might make her more sensitive to the issue and she will be a better coach. If that doesn't work, go with plan B and have your husband buy the product for you.

It's encouraging to see there are good coaches out there even though mine is kinda lame. I've resorted to measuring myself at home on my WI days because I don't think she's very accurate. I'm also disappointed she won't allow me to purchase 21 individual packets of food so I have more variety. But the diet is working for me and if I go full on boot camp for the next 4 weeks, I might even get into phase 2 sooner than I thought and that puts me closer to completing my goal and moving on!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement, ideas and thoughts!
lindacraig63 is offline   Reply With Quote