Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Default Self Tanners

I admit I like tanning and I feel so much better when I am tan but I am really trying not to do any more damage to my skin than I already have. I want to start getting ready for short season and am looking for suggestions.

I am leaning towards the Jergens Natural Glow lotions but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I do not have much money so spray tans won't work because I would be tan but broke.

Also, do you have any tips on how to get the back even? I could ask my husband to help me but I really would like to be able to do it on my own so I don't have to rely on him when I am ready to do it since his hours vary.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

I was a total self-tanner addict a couple of summers ago, and this was my totally flawless regimen.

First, exfoliate like crazy. I have a dry body brush that I use before showering. Once in the shower, I use a little body scrub and also make sure I get a very close shave on my legs (and anywhere else I need/want to shave).

Out of the shower, dry off, and then first use Neutrogena self-tanner mist on the body, everywhere. Start off with the lightest shade, then when that's empty in a few weeks, move on to a darker shade if you want to. Let the mist dry for a while, then follow-up with the Jergens Natural Glow gradual stuff, again matching the tone to the Neutrogena mist. By using the mist first (and getting your back primarily with the mist), you'll alleviate any streaking the lotion might leave behind, and the lotion step also helps to blend in the mist.

Once my skin is totally dry, I then would follow-up with a shimmery lotion, but that was kind of an optional step, only if I wanted a little extra glow.

For face, I used a lotion only, one specifically for face, as well as a little bit of cosmetic bronzer to even everything out.

This sounds complicated, but it really never took me more than about five minutes, and I'd only do it about every three days or so. On the days I didn't do the whole thing, I'd use non-tanning regular body lotion to keep my skin soft and keep the color fresh. Everytime I shaved, I did redo everything from beginning to end.

I didn't look streaky ever, but another thing I did was not go too unrealistically dark. I'm naturally quite pale, and to me the change was extremely noticeable, but nobody else really noticed much more about my summer complexion other than that I looked "healthy." If you want to go from really pale to really dark, you'd be better off going to a professional spray tanner or at least getting a little help with the hard-to-reach spots.

Good luck!
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 126.5/113/110

Height: 4'11

I just bought the tan towels off HSN and I'll let you know how/if they work!
Lisa1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I've heard good things about Xen Tan, the best part is that it really doesn't smell fake-tannish at all (Apparently anyways!)

I'm considering buying some of this, my only worry is that I usually get so lazy keeping up self tans
You can get certain gloves and things which are designed for reaching your back, otherwise just practice with your hands

Kat999: Putting the tan mist on before the gradual one sounds like a great idea. I always worried that the spray/mists would rub off very easily?
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity907 View Post
Kat999: Putting the tan mist on before the gradual one sounds like a great idea. I always worried that the spray/mists would rub off very easily?
See, the mist can rub off easily and the lotion can look streaky, so by using both together like that, I avoid both problems and get a really good, even, and--when I want to--darker tan.
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #6  
no gravity!

S/C/G: 301.5/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I swear by St. Tropez self tanner. It comes in a mousse and a gel I believe and it's the only one I've ever tried that doesn't look orange. I liked the gradual color that happened with the Jergens when I tried it but the smell was really off putting.
moon safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Thanks for the tips Kat, I am going to try it the way you suggest and see how it goes.
Does anyone know if Jergens has a mist?
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote