Old 04-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/195/130

Height: 5'4

Default Help!!!! I Need To Regain Focus :(

AHi everyone,
I joined ww Dec 17th right before Christmas since then I have lost 15 lbs. I have also used alli as a supplement which I have really gotten to like.
My problem it seems is I sabbotage myself. I have been struggling to get under the 190's. For the past 4-6 weeks. I cook for my family and often have found it frustrating and confusing when I don't know how to add the PP or figure the meal I just cooked. This has brought on great discouragement as I often don't know what a serving is. I am so frustrated with myself I need help
valencia2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #2  

I should mention that I have tried doing the recipe builder but can't access that from my droid and don't know why. ( I can however, access other ww mobile stuff) I don't have home internet. I also have a very sweet tooth and find that I can't control myself and hence the reason for my sabbotaging
Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #3  

Work on it just for today. Do your best. You can worry about tomorrow then.

As for the recipe builder if you have to just look up the points values for each item and figure it out on paper. I weigh everything on a scale so I know the weight of a portion, it's easier to me than figuring out cup measurements.
angelskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #4  

Angelskiss- thank u for ur words of encouragement, I have a question, I don't know if u cook for yourself or others, I cook for my kid and husband and find that I don't know how to measure if for instance I am making chilli beans. How do I breakdown the meat, the beans etc... how much is each cup or serving?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #5  

Angelskiss- thank u for ur words of encouragement, I have a question, I don't know if u cook for yourself or others, I cook for my kid and husband and find that I don't know how to measure if for instance I am making chilli beans. How do I breakdown the meat, the beans etc... how much is each cup or serving?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #6  

Get a really good electronic scale. They don't cost a lot. Figure out your points for the chili or casserole or cake works really well this way.

Weigh the container you are using before you cook it. Then weigh it after you have prepared it. If you can tare the scael (and this is important in a scale) you can set it at 0 after you weigh the container so that it's not part of the weight.

So if your whole chili recipe is 20 points for 500 grams. Then you know if you take 100grams of it your points will be 4 points for your 100 grams.

I find weight measurements the most accurate and the easiest.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I've even started weighing ingredients rather than measuring them. Last night I was making a cake and I weighed the powdered sugar for the frosting. I use CalorieKing.com to look up nutrition information for ingredients I'm not sure of, which you should be able to access from your phone.

You can enter how many eggs and what size, for instance, and I think you get a much more accurate idea of the points for each ingredient. It's always better to calculate points on the whole rather than the parts. For instance, in the WW guide sugar is 1 pt for 1T. Well, for 1 cup, according to the nutrition information, it's 13 pts even though it's 16 T in a cup.

When I make chili, I don't necessarily weigh my chili before and after cooking. But I do know how many scoops I've taken out with my ladle, and from that I estimate how many "servings" I ended up with.

It's always better to overestimate than underestimate. If you overestimate how many pts you are consuming, you will lose weight faster; if you underestimate, you may sabotage your efforts.

I cook 98% of what I eat, and I don't use the WW site at all. I've used it from time to time, but then I just go back to calculating the pts for each ingredient myself and figuring out what the points should be for whatever I'm making.

It can be done. Just take a deep breath and begin with what you know and fill in what you don't.
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageta View Post
. It's always better to calculate points on the whole rather than the parts. For instance, in the WW guide sugar is 1 pt for 1T. Well, for 1 cup, according to the nutrition information, it's 13 pts even though it's 16 T in a cup.
Yes just because one serving is 1pt doesn't mean that 2 servings is 2pt. Sometimes it is more and sometimes less. It's because pts and points plus are usually rounded up or down.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #9  

Wow, thank u both!!!! You both gave me some AMAZING ideas... I have a great scale so here we go!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/215/160

Height: 5'6"

The first time I use a recipe, I work out the Points+ then write the figure right in the book beside the title. Saves having to do the math again and again.
jessy 49 is offline   Reply With Quote