Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 AM   #1  
look to windward

S/C/G: 185/178/145

Height: 5'7"

Talking Bread Challenge!

Aaaahhh. Bread. The bane of carb and calorie counters alike.

Anyone else feeling really chained to their bread problem and want to do a bread challenge? One week, then two, then maybe the rest of April without bread, breading, etc? (I can't think of it as just "all of April without bread". That's just a little too daunting...)

Stuff I've been caught eatin':
  • Indian garlic flatbread (this is my biggest problem. It's a perfect bed for pretty much everything I eat... you can tear it up and soak up soup... use it as a sturdy fajita wrap...)
  • breaded chicken
  • wrap ("it's just one... HOW MANY calories??" :x)
  • toooooast
  • and today... wheat-related... macaroni and cheese D:

I know that if I got this crap out of my diet I could have lost, like, 5-10 more pounds by now. So, join me if you'd like. I'm going to post a daily status report. Expect much whinging and griping.

Eh? What do you think?
nightwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #2  
One day at a time!!!

S/C/G: 211/*ticker*/TBD!

Height: 5'6

I think this sounds like something i really need to do! I'm such a carboholic, though. I honestly don't know if I could go a week without! lmao

Are you counting pastas too, or leaving it strictly to bread?
linalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

i also need to get on this!!! bread is definitely my weakness.
especially a thick piece of rye bread toasty warm with butter.... sheessh... im drooling as i type this!!

can i start by having it only once a week?!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #4  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 220/TICKER/120

Height: 5'3"

I definitely need to get in on this--carbs are kind of ruling my life right now. The thought of going a whole month without bread kind of terrifies me, but I will at least pledge to go one week (4/4-4/10) without any bread/pasta/baked goods!
GreatPerhaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #5  
Looking for the 200's

S/C/G: 325/311.4/174

Height: 6'0

I will pledge no bread or potatos (by biggest weakness) for the entire month of april. I am not going to look at it as giving these things up but as proving to my self I can be happy without them. I know I can do this (fingers crossed)
milliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #6  
look to windward

S/C/G: 185/178/145

Height: 5'7"

linalin, bellaella: It's a goal to set for *you*. If you have a set amount of bread and bread products that you want to incorporate into your diet, I think that can be just as healthy (see: joyfulloser and her pumpkin raisin muffins!) I'm doing a low-carb almost primal diet, so I'm going without, but I don't want to encourage anyone to take up a diet that's unhealthy for them.

linalin, if you have some whole-grain pasta just chillin' in your cupboard, just count your calories/carbs, you're your own best/worst policewoman. Expunging it from my diet is just supposed to get rid of the cravings, for me. It's an addiction, you know? Apparently if you avoid breads, pastas, and other stuff with gluten in it for long enough, you can kick the craving. But I have no problem with other people joining in on the challenge for different reasons, to cut down on the carby intake and so on.

bellaella, I love your piccy

GreatPerhaps: That sounds like a fantastic start

milliej: I have such a french fry problem... you know, the really gooey soft greasy ones x_x lol, I know I should outright make a commitment to no more of those, too, but idk if I can do it all at once!

Anyone else just feel a honking rage to eat cereal occasionally? I work nights, and I can scavenge free cereal at work... I may have done that a couple mornings ago. :x I also have access to really good homemade granola, it's so hard not to just chomp down on it!

I'm nomming down some Birdseye steamfresh vegetables (broccoli, caulis) right now. Pretty tasteless, imo... but then again, I'm a seasoning ho, so maybe I should rip it open and tap some garam masala in next time :P

I also have some homemade vegetable soup in the fridge... and I'm gonna make some breakfast for dinner (chicken sausage/roasted onions/peppers hash, eggs) in a couple hours. What other tricks do you guys have to make avoiding bread tasty?

Last edited by nightwasp; 04-03-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: adding stufffff
nightwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Ill try this, though that will take like 500 calories out of my diet or so a day....I need to find more food to make other then chicken and tuna sandwiches! this will give me the kick I need!
Bulletproof Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #8  

I'm in!
I actually made myself a little note this morning before I read this post that says NO breads, pasta, or rice for the month of April. I've been stuck @ 260 for 30+ days... so freakin annoying! Nice to be skipping out on some carbs with a group of people though ;-)
Merissa2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I'm in!!! I have a serious bread addiction! I'm going to allow myself 1 pasta a week.
Princess of the KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #10  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

ok, count me in too. I've been a plateau here and am going a little nuts. I'm going to try calorie counting this week and also am trying to cut back a lot on dairy/carbs so this sounds like a great way to do it!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #11  
Keep on Keep'in on

S/C/G: 174/ticker/135

I should do this too!! but what does it intail? just bread? or like oat meal? i love oatmeal.. and bagels. uh oh..
Andrbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #12  
Looking for the 200's

S/C/G: 325/311.4/174

Height: 6'0

off topic but what is onederland? I see it on a lot of sigs?
milliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #13  
Keep on Keep'in on

S/C/G: 174/ticker/135

haha had the same question so I googled it.. It's when you hit 199 and are out of the 200s!
Andrbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

nightwasp thanks!!! i think he is adorable. i wish i could get a pet/dog that looks like him!

i am actually pretty good with no bread although i do admit that i eat starchy veggies like potatoes and yams sometimes. i dont always feel that bread is that nutritional since most of the white breads are processed. but it would be nice to cut it down to only eating natural unprocessed food..it is just a little hard to maintain!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #15  
On the way down!

S/C/G: 226/ticker/150

Height: 5'10.75

This is funny because its exactly what I've been trying to do with my weightloss lately. No refined carbs. IE: white bread, rice, pasta. I can have a piece of wheat bread first thing in the morning and rolled oats but nothing white unless its cottage cheese or mushrooms.
redliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote