Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Talking cant wait for cake and ice cream on my BDAY!

So yeah my Bday is a month away and I am looking in the future at things like this to prepare my self. My mom asked me yesterday if you cant have cake what am I supposed to get you to replace that on your bday, veggies? It made me laugh but then I thought about it and about the only times a year I ever eat cake are bdays and I love it on mine so I did some research and found a great recipe for almond cake, low carb choc butter cream frosting and low carb ice cream! I wont be on induction by that point so I am really excited to try these out. I have only had SF jello since starting the diet and that was only once so this will be (if I can hold off until then) the first LC desert I make/eat. Unless that is I try that great looking PB fudge recipe jersey girl posted a while ago in the LC recipes section!
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

For my bithday I had low carb carrot cake made with almond flour and Splenda sweetened cream cheese frosting with Breyer's Carbsmart ice cream. It was yummy! I hope you enjoy your dessert.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

If you are able to indulge in low carb desserts, more power to you! Over the years, I have learned those types of things are a very slippery slope for me (much like potato chips, I can't eat just 1) so, I just stay away from them all together.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I agree that they can be, JerseyGyrl. Mostly because I'll make a big dessert and since I'm the only one eating it I feel like I need to have it every day to not be wasteful. I haven't made a lc dessert in a while, but sometimes when I have a sweets attack I'll drink a tablespoon of Torani orange or lemon syrup, LOL.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #5  

That's something great to look forward to!!! We have to have those occasions to keep us on track and good for you for already planning it out. Who can live the rest of their life without cake and icecream? You will have lost more weight by then and that will give you a great reason for celebrate Do you have the exact recipe?
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsy View Post
I agree that they can be, JerseyGyrl. Mostly because I'll make a big dessert and since I'm the only one eating it I feel like I need to have it every day to not be wasteful. I haven't made a lc dessert in a while, but sometimes when I have a sweets attack I'll drink a tablespoon of Torani orange or lemon syrup, LOL.
Linsy, I had to giggle when you said you will drink a Tablespoon of Torani syrup when you get a sweet tooth I will make a cup of flavored tea and add a Tablespoon of heavy cream when I experience those "attacks".
I think its important to keep in mind so-called "low carb" desserts are just as easy to over indulge in as the real thing. Like you pointed out, you feel the guilt of not wasting what you made so, you feel you must eat it till its gone. Perhaps a single serving recipe can remedy this...but, for many, myself included, eating it to begin with triggers the sweet cravings.
I personally don't allow a "special occassion" to get me off track. While I have often gotten flack for this, my attitude regarding Atkins is, its my lifestyle, some understand & appreciate it, some don't. To each their own. This is what works for me

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-03-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #7  

yeah I dont want to let it get me off track and thats why I have passed up cakes and such at the last three bday parties I have went to. All on induction to which was loads of fun lol. This is just the one time far enough into OWL that I think I can handle it and then get back to not eating sweets much. Im just glad there are things out there that I can fit into this life style that one completly over do it on the carbs! I will make sure I only make enough that everyone has some and then its gone so I have no left overs.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynn View Post
I will make sure I only make enough that everyone has some and then its gone so I have no left overs.
Good plan!..Enjoy
Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #9  

Jersygryl I really have to tell you that you are an insperation! I have read a ton of your posts and seeing how well you have done and stuck to it gives me so much drive! I really went into this thinking it wasnt going to work ( I know wrong mind set) but I really cant imagine my life with out it right now! I am really glad your here and are willing to give advice! I think a lot of us are doing better because of it! So thank you!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #10  

Quote:
yeah I dont want to let it get me off track and thats why I have passed up cakes and such at the last three bday parties I have went to. All on induction to which was loads of fun lol. This is just the one time far enough into OWL that I think I can handle it and then get back to not eating sweets much. Im just glad there are things out there that I can fit into this life style that one completly over do it on the carbs! I will make sure I only make enough that everyone has some and then its gone so I have no left overs.
you have a great attitude and a great plan! We each have to find a way to make this work for us for the rest of our lives and what works for some doesn't work for all. I know people who have done Atkins for 20 years or so and have LC desserts once a week and do great. I don't buy the LC ice cream bars or desserts to keep here at home cause I know I will go overboard. But, for special occasions I make the desserts and send them home with friends and family like you are planning to do. It really works out great! We just each have to know our strengths and weaknesses and not have temptation around us. Keep this frame of mind up girl and you will do great !
Old 04-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Jersygryl I really have to tell you that you are an insperation! I have read a ton of your posts and seeing how well you have done and stuck to it gives me so much drive! I really went into this thinking it wasnt going to work ( I know wrong mind set) but I really cant imagine my life with out it right now! I am really glad your here and are willing to give advice! I think a lot of us are doing better because of it! So thank you!
Brooklyn, thank you so much for all your kind words.
I'll be celebrating 7 years on Atkins in April, and like you, I can't imagine my life without it. Lord only knows where I'd be today. I'm sure I'd be close to 300 lbs and diabetic (my Dad is an insulin dependant diabetic) as well as having other serious health issues. Reading Dr. Atkins book & following his plan has literally saved my life. I guess thats why I've hung around here to help others. If I can do this, ANYONE can do this!
I'll be 50 in August and can happily say I am in the best shape of my life...all thanks to Dr. Atkins!!
Thank you again and remember, you CAN do this!!!
All the best to you!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

happy birthday (in a month!)
take a picture of the cake so we can see how it looks! and let us know how it tastes! im always interesting in finding new ways to make low calorie desserts!

what if you made them in little cupcake sizes and only make enough for the number of ppl who are coming?!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaella View Post
happy birthday (in a month!)
take a picture of the cake so we can see how it looks! and let us know how it tastes! im always interesting in finding new ways to make low calorie desserts!

what if you made them in little cupcake sizes and only make enough for the number of ppl who are coming?!
good idea on the cupcake sizes ! I do that sometimes too! Love your Avi! soo darn cute!