Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default *** April *** Chat

Another nice fresh month with promises to be better than long and cold March!

Good start to the month because my FBGL was 4.6, normal for me, and the ticker is very truthful. It moved down a smidge, not enough to change it. I suspect the salt in that chicken and rice recipe was the culprit. Water and careful eating is on the plan for today. I'm supposed to meet friends for pizza tonight but will opt out since I will be in the city (Kingston) all day for some tests. Tomorrow I go to Ottawa for dinner and theatre and then Sunday evening we have our "girls" dinner. Tonight is the only night where I will have complete control over the menu so chili and salad are it!

I hope your April 1 has no fools.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #2  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Marking my spot for this new month.

I must get back at it, BS have been all over the place this past couple of weeks.

We have been busy de-cluttering and spring cleaning and are getting ready to sell this big old house and move into something smaller. Our DS has been after us for the last couple of years to move into something that's easier for us to look after. The painters are coming in the morning so I have to get everything off the walls and take down the blinds - that will be my exercise for today.

Have a great day to everyone that posts and to all the lurkers.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Fasting was 5.2 again today, so am happy to be within normal limits. I am gonna have to deal with this sweet tooth of mine, its keeping me from losing weight. Planning a flax muffin with cheese for breakfast in a bit. A quiet morning with a light day today, so am taking it easy this am. DD gone until tomorrow, so maybe some time with DH tonight.
Ruth, hope the tests go ok, and that you have a good time in Ottawa. With all the politicians out of town, should be less traffic at least.
Well, its April, and the weather is getting more spring-like, we are set for April showers this week. I will plan more exercise around working this weekend too.

Have a good day everyone, hope you don't get April fooled!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Happy April everyone! I have been pretty stressed out lately and I am experiencing how that can impact bs. I am pretty under control but I have raised from 75-85 to 90-100. My highest fbg has been 102, so, I know that is still ok.

I have been feeling like I am fighting a cold/flu bug and that is probably also making a difference.

Anyway, happy spring. Hang in there!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

My FBG was 118 this morning which was pretty good considering all the high carbs I had yesterday. I did start my day with the 1 Minute Muffin this morning. I am not going to be checking BS all day like I have been for the last week or so. As I started reading some of the things I highlighted and marked in the Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program, I was amazed to find that Dr. Richard Heller felt the same way I have been feeling about diets etc. I want to be able to eat without having to counting or measuring anything. So I've taken the ideas from him and Atkin and settled into my own plan. I spend so much time thinking about all this and what you can and can't because of the diabetes that I think my emotions are effecting it because I am stressing myself out and this makes my BS go all over the place. So hopefully April will be a good month for me BS wise if I'm more relaxed and not so stressed.

My DS had her first grandson today. She had begun to think she would never be a grandmother. Her cell phone went out on her so I didn't get to talk to her long, but she was bubbly. I am so thrilled for her and her son and his wife.

Busy weekend this weekend so probably won't be here. So let me wish all of you a great weekend.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Busy weekend here too, Patty. I am off to Ottawa to see a play tonight and we are having "a bite to eat" beforehand. I have no idea where we are eating but hope to be able to make good choices. If it's a Chinese Buffet, I'm doomed unless I just do salad bar stuff. ** Sigh **

BGL was 6.2 again this morning, probably from chili last night. Weight was down a bit so I could change my ticker into the 187s. I change it as soon as I see the new number on the scale and ignore the tenths of a pound.

New babies! I love them! My kids are not expecting any more but I live in hope of my first great grandchild.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #7  
Madeleine

Ruth: sounds like you are still looking for the balance with victoza and glyburide.
I forgot my 2nd dose of metformin last night, got in at midnight, and had to eat, since I had only a snack and not proper supper. So in spite of sticking to plan fbs was 5.7 this am, and weight up a tad, I am assuming its from late eating and slightly short on sleep. Have about 1/2 day of work ahead of me today, and nothing else this weekend unless another baby decides to come. On Monday I will take a day off and drive to Niagara for a funeral, father of a dear friend. The old fellow was in his 80's and had survived a bout with cancer a couple of years ago, but it came back with a painful vengeance, but in the end he was comfortable when he passed away. It is hard to see our parents go, but we are glad they are not suffering. Tho my mother didn't die of cancer she was in pain and misery before her stroke and death, and I was glad for her release. But I sure do miss her at times.
It is beautiful and sunny here this weekend. It will warm to about 8 degrees, but was just below freezing over night, so perfect for maple syrup. It is the Elmira Maple syrup festival today, DD is a volunteer, and I will avoid the crowded town on my travels today!
No syrup for me on Atkins.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

Mad, I am not sure what's going on. I am really not eating much and have not adjusted my meds in any way - still on the original dosage of Met and Glyburide.

Avoiding the Syrup Festival is a grand idea. Ours is the weekend of the 16th and I plan to lead tours of the Old Stone Mill rather than subject myself to cooking pancakes and sausage.

There is lots of syrup production going on around here lately but the lads tell me they still haven't produced enough to meet their orders. I sold my maple bush a few years ago but my guys still keep in touch and bring me samples. I keep them for hostess gifts and have not had maple syrup for years.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #9  

Mad & Ruthie Sometimes I think our bodies play havoc with us. I did everything right yesterday and my FBS was 129 up from 118 the day before. The only difference is I slept about 7 hrs instead of 8. DH and I halfed a tv type dinner which probably had lots of salt. I didn't think to look and I thought I drank a lot of water but probably not enough which would be why the scale was up a bit this morning. So strange to me how one small thing we do that we may know or maybe don't know we did can affect glucose levels. And I'm at the age that too much salt is a problem. DH Cardiologest says he needs salt so it makes it difficult for me some times although I don't use that much to cook with. He is going to add salt any way.

Had a brunch this morning with the ladies at the church. It worked out fine. I had my 1 minute muffin before I left to go to the beauty shop so I wasn't hungry or even tempted by any of the food when I got to the meeting. Only had a cup of coffee. Since I made up my own plan, I'm finding it easier to stick with it. I think it is because I made the rules which puts me in control. Also I knew what my Reward Meal was going to be and I was looking forward to that a homemade cheeseburger. I'm trying to learn to make homemade versions of the foods we like to eat at restaurants. For one thing I know what is in the food if I make it myself so it can be healthier and I also have more control over portions.

Ruthie Enjoy your trip to Ottawa.

Mad I had a day last week when I never knew if I took my Metformin. I've upped my dose to 1500 mg a day. Doc said I could up it to 2000 mg as long as I could handle it. I've been thinking about it, but I'm not ready to deal with the side affects yet. May do it this summer when I don't have BSF classes on Wednesdays. I would like to have from Sunday to Sunday to get used to it.

Everyone reading this
Old 04-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #10  
Madeleine

Default havoc

yes, I guess there is havoc going on in my body. I was in ketosis last evening before bed, which if people remember, when I am on atkins induction I rarely get to, I just don't spill ketones easily. SO I was really excited to get on the scale today. Have managed to stick to induction for a couple of days and thought I would be down, but actually am up a pound!
I expect there is water weight in there, or something that will clear away etc, but its frustrating to have that happen when you are trying to lose and staying on plan. I was sabotaging myself with NSA treats all last week and was finally able to go a couple of days without sweets etc. Sure doesn't feel worthwhile to give up the treats that way!
Did go for the trail walk. Its a quiet weekend so far, just the one birth on Friday, and most of my visits on Saturday, so just one visit this morning, then yoga before the visitation at the funeral home in town. Tomorrow taking a day off for a funeral (different person) out of town.
The weather is grand.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #11  

I am having trouble as well Mad and I have to go for blood work Tuesday and to the doc the following week. Oh how I don't want to do Atkins but I may have to. I sure have to re-evaluate what I'm doing. I know the plan I have will work, I'm just not working the plan 100%. You would think that at my age that I would learn.
Mad Yours may be the stress of work and funerals. Not giving you excuses, but those things do cause stress and the stress plays on the insulin. I was so good yesterday but ended up making me some nachos. Did I reward myself for being so good yesterday morning at the meeting? Maybe, who knows. I have the CALP workbook. I'm not sure how to fit it into my schedule, but I'm thinking that I need to do it. I also plan to start exercising this week. Going to do my Walk Away the Pounds 20 min at least 3 days a week starting. I just have to get me a good routine going.

Dr. Richard Heller didn't eat breakfast when he started learning how things worked for his body to lose weight etc. He said once he ate breakfast that he wanted to eat. I remember my Daddy saying that one time and I never ate breakfast until I got with people who said "Oh you have to eat breakfast" etc. Didn't have weight problem until I started eating breakfast... 3 meals a day and then snacks. I remember times when I would have a snack of something I really wanted and thinking... it would be great if I didn't have to have a meal because I was satisfied with the meal. So I'm going to try not eating breakfast unless I'm really, really hungry and eating only when I am hungry. Maybe my problem is that (as doctor Heller said) I'm not listening to what my body is trying to tell me.

Well, I better get going. Got to leave for church in a few minutes.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #12  

Tonight at church small group meeting we started the Daniel Plan by Saddleback church to help us get healthy. We have three sisters who go to our church and attend our group whose ages range from 89 to 94 yrs of agae. As we had our discussion time, Pastor asked them how they ate. Only 2 of them talked about how they eat. The one I think is the 94 yr old and I talked after the meeting because she had mentioned Dr. Bernstein when she was telling how she eats. She told me that she eats a wiener and deviled eggs for breakfast. She eats a salad for lunch and she eats a wiener and salad for dinner. She told me that she has her A1c checked evey 3 months and if it is between 70 & 77, she doesn't count or change anything. If it is higher, she counts her carbs for a while. I was so impressed and inspired by these little women. Pastor had asked them about their diet because they have lived so long and was curious about how they eat. I am getting serious about low carbing again starting fresh on regular low carb in the morning. I'm start eating a couple of boiled eggs for breakfast. I can eat a good salad for lunch and dinner. I've decided that if a 94 yr old can do this and get around and be as alert as they are, I can do the same.

Another good thing about this 6 week study we are doing is that DH has to participate as well so he is talking about getting out and walking. I'm still going to start my exercise tomorrow and then if he decides to walk, I will go with him.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #13  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Digging out from another foot of snow. This is really getting old.

Painters did an awesome job on Sat. Everything looks so much better.

Did a bit of cooking yesterday and made a crustless broccoli and turkey bacon quiche. It is quite tasty and should keep me away from the carbs in the morning.

Patty, my husband only eats one meal a day ( usually supper) and he is skinny as a rail. He will eat more at times, but doesn't feel right when he does. I have been reading the Diabetes Solution by Dr. Bernstein and have been wondering if he is the same Dr. Bernstein that advertises his diet on TV.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

Gosh, Patty. That seems like a very low carb plan and would not work for me. I do not eat wieners after reading the ingredient list but whatever works for you in keeping your BGL stable and fixing the HA1C.

Lindyloo, yes it's the same Dr. B. I believe there are mega shots of vitamins in the plan too which says something for the nutrition. There is a clinic near me in Kingston but I opted out after one visit. Victoza seems to be working for me along with drugstore vitamin supplements. By the way, you can stop sending snow East any time.

Managed a challenging weekend and have a good BGL this morning. I was very close to losing it last night at out "Girls' Dinner when Heather brought along the fixings for make your own sundaes with home-made butterscotch sauce. I resisted by thinking of the scale this morning which revealed a good solid 187.00.

Now to plan today's healthy foods so I don't have any slippage!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #15  

I didn't know Dr. B advertises on tv. I don't I've ever seen an ad here.

Ruthie So glad the scale is being good to you and the Victoza is working.

I don't think I want to go as slim on food selection etc as the 3 sisters do and although I like an occasional weiner, I don't want to eat them everyday as they are a weakness of mine. A trigger thing which comes from one of the few things my Daddy and I enjoyed eating together when I was a kid. One would not be enough for me. The fact of their ages and that they still are able to have such self-discipline was inspiring to me. I think they have each learned what works for them and they stick to it. The idea of how they handle their eating did make me rethink tweaking my low carb plan. I'm thinking more in terms of eating Atkins style 95 - 98% of the time and using a CAD/CALP type RM when we go out to eat. We don't eat out that much any more and I believe that would work for me. Although a RM everyday works great when DH and I travel, I don't think it is a good idea for me at home since I have a tendency toward over carbing. However, I would love to eventually work in some low carb fruit into my food plan. I may be leaning more toward SB although I don't like cutting back on fat to the extent that SB does. I was looking at my last blood work I had done in December and it really was pretty good. I have blood work done in the morning and do hope I haven't messed it up.

I went to the website at Saddleback for our Daniel Plan we are studying at church small groups for the next 6 weeks and signed up for the 52 week plan. I took a quiz by Dr. Daniel Amen and it showed that I have problems with carbs like rice, pasta, breads REALLY??? Go figure... You think someone is telling me something? I'm hoping that maybe when the church finishes the 6 week lesson that maybe I would talk to the Pastor and see if I can start a support group to keep those of us who might want to continue might to meet once a week so we can encourage and support each other. One thing I've learned from our little 3fc diabetic thread is that we can all be doing different plans and still be encourage and help each other.

Lindyloo Good to see you. We should probably downsize to a smaller place ourselves, but I'm not sure we could get a good price for our house right now. Plus we have great neighbors. So we keep trying to hang on.

As usual I'm running late on a lot of things so better get busy. Two things I have to do today before my head hits the pillow tonight is finish my BSF lesson and do my Walk Away the Pounds 20 min 1 mile exercise.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
Closed Thread